Birkenstock sandals

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibro15, Jul 18, 2006.

1. fibro15

fibro15 New Member

Hi,
    Just wondering how many of you wear Birkenstock sandals and how you like them? Just ordered a pair on QVC.
    Hugs,
    Kathy
  2. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I have four pairs of Birkenstocks shoes and sandals, they're great. Got one pair from QVC also. They take a while to "break in" so don't wear them for the whole day at first. Once your foot has shaped the sole to just the right form for you they're super. Very comfortable and lots of support. I've noticed that when I wear them I don't have as much back pain/stress as opposed to going barefoot (my favorite) or wearing other shoes. Good luck with them, I think you'll be happy you bought them.

Mar
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

I wore birkies all the way through college and beyond, even wore white ones with a sling back when I first started working with my RN license.

I'm tempted to try them again, but found a long while back that their slightly negative heel bothers my back.

But the new styles are so darn cute, and I have such good memories of them...

Enjoy your birks, but do wear them only a short while at first, until they adjust to your feet.

Peace,
    Beth
  4. I couldn't live without birkenstocks! I have tthree pair of sandals, and two alton type shoes. LOVE 'EM! Can't wear anything else. Did you order online or tv? I need to check them out.
  5. place

place New Member

I have feet pain and the only shoes I can ware are birks. The have different height on the arch in the bed of the shoe. I need a high arch. Love them!

They do take a bit to ware in. My olds are the best, I h ave had them resoled twice!

But they are like heven!

Hope you enjoy them!
  6. place

place New Member

I have feet pain and the only shoes I can ware are birks. The have different height on the arch in the bed of the shoe. I need a high arch. Love them!

They do take a bit to ware in. My olds are the best, I h ave had them resoled twice!

But they are like heven!

Hope you enjoy them!
  7. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi Kathy...I LOVE my Birkenstocks! I have several pairs, and finally wore out the first pair after 10 plus years! A couple of years ago, I got a pair of the closed-toe clogs and wear them in the winter. I wear the sandals like slippers around the house, because our hardwood floors are tough on my feet.

They are a bit pricey but last forever..as others have said, go slowly with the break-in, but I think you'll be pleased! Love, Ann
  8. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

my second toe is longer then the rest, & it rests right on the edge of the shoe...OUCH!!! I wish they would make rounded toe areas, that would work for alot of us that have the second longer toe..

Anyway enjoy!!! I know alot of people that wear &luv them.

Hugs & Blessings;
    Fifth
  9. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I have three pairs from QVC also I love them
  10. my daughters babysitter just had surgery because she had a long toe too. Don't know what they did but it must be hard to fit shoes. That's why I like birkenstocks, I have WIDE feet. It's the best thing I have ever found for my feet.
  11. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

Do they have a molded footbed, and a arch? would like to try them but I cannot wear a molded footbed, very sensitive feet.

Granny
  12. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

has sandals now. My rheumatologist suggested I give NB a try and I was wanting something that wasn't closed in as it is summertime. I went online and was pleased to find the sandals. They come in several different widths. I need EE which is kinda wide.

I've never tried the Birks, but do think they are sooo cute. Check out New Balance online. If you like Birks you'll probably like their sandals too.

Linda
  13. fibro15

fibro15 New Member

Thanks so much for all the replies. I also have very sensitive feet. It is difficult to find shoes that don't hurt. I am looking forward to trying the birkies. One good thing about QVC is that if they don't work out you can return them within 30 days.They sure are cute!
    Kathy
    [This Message was Edited on 07/18/2006]
  14. sunnywey

sunnywey New Member

I LOVE my Merrell sandals. They are as comfy as slippers!!
    They have lots of support and my physio-therapist just approved a new pair I bought. I have knee + hip problems, and can walk for miles in them. Try a pair on, at least.
  15. DorothyVivian

DorothyVivian New Member

Kathy and All,
    When I first became ill with CF & FM, my feet were so sore I could barely walk. Conventional shoes were unbearable and unwearable, for me!! I bought my first pair of Birkenstocks, 'Arizona' style in dark brown leather and after a brief 'breaking in' time of a week or so, I found I was able to walk easily for much greater distances. That was 20 years ago and since then I've bought about 20 pairs more--about one pair per year. (Just call me the "Amelda" of Birkenstocks--lol.)I now have several closed styles, in addition to the open, sandal type. The 'Arizona' remains my favorite, and with heavy 'jazzy' stockings are cozy in cool weather. I have two 'Florida' pairs and they are my second favorite of the sandal type. For closed, I like the 'Alpro' in black leather, because of the velcro closing. Next, I like the 'Paris' closed shoe style. (I get the next size larger for the closed Birki than for the open sandal styles.

At first, I mourned not being able to wear high heels,especially the closed 'pumps', but now, I consider the appearance of conventional shoes as odd or strange--like the appearance of wearing a powdered wig would be. Now, I don't wear anything just because the fashion moguls promote them. I'm an artist/designer and once did costume design and like most women my age, I was caught up in and influenced by the views of designer gurus who set or endorsed current trends. Now I could'nt care less what 'fashion' trends dictate! What I care about is the health of my body, how active I can be and my overall physical comfort. Paradoxically, because I follow my own inner guidance, I find I'm a 'trend-setter' among my women friends. That pleases me since I believe they are benefitting from better foot health by wearing shoes that help their feet instead of distort them.
    With love, Dorothy
    [This Message was Edited on 07/19/2006]
  16. tansy

tansy New Member

they are the only footware that don't cause me more problems than I already have.

Until recently I was barely walking or standing. I have been rehabilitating my muscles and using a pilates machine to address my structural problems as well. Birkis hold the foot in it's ideal position and I felt they would help me retrain my feet to walk in a more natural manner. I now have two pairs, arizona and florida; the arizona are my favourite.

In the earlier stages of my illness my feet clawed, it was years before that problem went away: that's when I had to give up my birkis, I needed footwear that was very soft so they could adjust to the distorted shape of my feet.

After that I had lots of paralysis and foot drop, so if I was on my feet, I needed to wear closed in shoes.

Now I am back in my birkis, yipeeeee.

Take care
    Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 07/19/2006]
  17. They don't state what width they are, unfortunately the ones I wanted are narrow, but she said to let them know any others as they have regular widths which are great WIDE.
  18. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi
    just wanted to stop by and tell you about this really good place to get new Birkis at great prices!! They are QVC~~~ Returns, maybe just tried on or only worn once!!.............................it's called amazindealz4u...............................It's on ebay!................I love my birki's it takes awhile to break them in but after you do they are soso comfortable!!...................hugs Sydney
  19. Malucky

Malucky New Member

yes I wear birkenstock and have for many yrs. The only shoe I wear other than the steel toes I wear at work. You will love them.
  20. artseyone

artseyone New Member

Can't believe I waited until now to try Birkies, but it seems they used to be too wide for my narrow feet.
    I found the cutiest pair of green thong type ones..
    These are the only shoes that when I take them off, my feet feel better.
    I'll never be w/o them.