BIT OF A DUMB QUESTION....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hurtin2much, Aug 25, 2006.

1. hurtin2much

hurtin2much New Member

I've recently started on Cymbalta for FM and the doctor told me to start the first week taking 1/2 and then go up to one tablet.

Needless to say when I picked up the meds they are capsules that protect the med from the stomach....So here comes my question..

How do you take 1/2 a capsule????

Do yu open it and empty what you think is half out? This surely cannot be a safe way to take meds no???

ANy info to this fibro fogged brain would be greatful
    thanks,
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

you were given the wrong meds. If the doctor thought he was prescribing a tablet, and you were given a capsule...

Is there an on-line Physicians' Desk Reference when you can see a picture of what you were supposed to get?

Yes, I checked. Search for Physicians' Desk Reference and see if you can find a picture of the drug.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2006]
  3. hurtin2much

hurtin2much New Member

i've checked up on the web and the capsules are the right ones, blue and yellow with 60 on them. he prescribed me a different named for duloxetina, as I am in Europe, but it's the same as Cymbalta...

maybe he thought the meds were tablet form, like you said.
    thanks for replying
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

In most health food stores (we have Wild Oats & Whole Foods here in the states, but there are others) you can buy empty capsules that you can use to divide doses into---you'd just put half the amount into a new capsule, and leave half in the original capsule. Yes, I agree, it'd be hard to make sure it's exactly half the amount.

Plus you should always check with your doctor first to see if this is okay to do with Cymbalta. Just wanted to let you know that they DO make empty capsules for this purpose...

Hope it all goes OK & you get relief from this med!

Hugs,
    Pam
  5. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

Call your doctor. I had to start with one capsule for a week and then increased it to two. Maybe that's what he meant??

I would definately contact your doctor. Maybe he doesn't realize its a capsule.

Take care and keep us posted.

Oh, and by the way, there are no dumb questions here.

Dawn
  6. sues1

sues1 New Member

I think they usually start you out at a lower dose the first week and then increase it. But I sure would check with him before I took any of it.......

I google it under images and could only find capsules.

Susan
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2006]
  7. BEARANDBUGSMOM

BEARANDBUGSMOM New Member

and sprinkle it on applesauce and eat it that way, but do not chew just swallow.

Hope this helps!
    Kelly
  8. Empower

Empower New Member

I for one open capsules, BUT, I do not recommend it, and I am sure my doc would be VERY UPSET if I told him I did this

It really isn't a good idea to open a capsule, because if you look at the granules, they are not consistently the same size.

Plus, you don't want to be counting out granules to take 1/2 the dose!
  9. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

My doctor gave me the lower dose and said take two a day. That way I could start out with half a dose and then go to the full dose.

Someone made a mistake. Not you.

Linda
  10. srollins

srollins New Member

yrs ago i had this same thing happen, dr. told me to gently pull the capsule apart(very gently) then put a tiny dab of soft magarine or butter on the open ends. just enough to seal them. then swallow one half and put the other half in a little dish or something for later.

i don't know if that would be acceptable now days or not but it was okay back then.

shirl
  11. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I've used this method to lower doses but not to begin them. I'd check with the doctor. It doesn't seem to me that you should be counting granules with a new med. He may be confused.

The butter idea is a good one for weaning off meds! Thanks.

Marta
  12. hurtin2much

hurtin2much New Member

thanks for the info. He started me on 60mg . What I don't understand is why he didn't give me the 30mg fx....oh well doesn't matter now as I've tried to empt during two days and now i'm just taking the full dose. I've no side effects. i see him on wednesday so I'll ask is he's going to increase this or not.
    thanks again
  13. kjfms

kjfms Member

first of all there is no such thing as a dumb question.

Please do not open the capsule there is no way for you to accurately get 1/2 a dose.

Capsules are not made to be split. Please call you physician. Most physician's PDRs are outdated BTW.

Cymbalta (duleolextine HCL)

<font color="red">Cymbalta should be swallowed whole and should not be chewed or crushed, nor should the contents be sprinkled on food or mixed with liquids. All of these might affect the enteric coating.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/cymbalta_pi.htm

Any physician that tells a patient to open a capsule should be smacked IMHO....argh

I am sorry but this just makes me see red. There are fillers in that capsule too so there is no way anyone can get an accurate dose.

Thanks,

Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 08/27/2006]
  14. hurtin2much

hurtin2much New Member

Firstly thank you for all of you that have said that it's not a dumb question.

I'm taking the capusle whole so it's not a problem anymore but i'll inform him of his mistake and see what he says

thanks, Hurtin
  15. hurtin2much

hurtin2much New Member