Biting my tongue! (Not a metaphor!)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Juloo, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Juloo

Juloo Member

Has anyone else w/nighttime bruxism had a problem with biting their tongue? Several times in the last couple of months I've woken up with a mouth full of blood and a swollen tongue. OUCH!

I keep telling my husband that sometimes my tongue just feels too big for my mouth.

Strangely, I did a search (hard to do, because of the metaphorical use of the phrase) and ended up with researching tongue injury, which led me to macroglossia (enlarged tongue) which led me to hypothyroidism. That's right -- hypothyroidism!

Apparently, macroglossia is a possible symptom of hypothyroidism. (Of course, it is a possible symptom of other things as well.) But it is kind of strange that a lot of symptoms come back to one of the areas that overlaps a lot of our problems.

Anyway, I thought that was interesting. If anyone else has experience with biting their tongue (badly!), please let me know how you cope!
  2. snow_white1920

snow_white1920 New Member

Yes, I too have biten my tongue while sleeping along with biting my lips and grinding my teeth. I have woken up my b/f grinding so much. He claims it is a lot of snapping and popping, like I am gnawing on a bone. I find I do this a lot when I am stressed and it is relieved a bit when I wear a bite plate. I had one specially made by the dentist as I have a latex allergy, so normal mouth guards would not be good. I have really not noticed a "swollen tongue" feeling but feel as though my jaw has "moved" and my teeth feel as though they no longer align.

3. quadmom

quadmom New Member

I don't post often but I had to respond! I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one that this happens to. It seems to go in waves for me. I'll be fine for months and then it'll happen every night for a week. I am hypothyroid and I take Synthroid. It doesn't seem like it's gotten any better or worse since I started the Synthroid. I know I haven't been any help, but at least you know you're not alone!