Black Cohosh help with hot flashes?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Charleen, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Charleen

Charleen New Member

Has any one that had or is having hot flashes used Black Cohosh. My hubby talked to our pharmancist which is also a friend he recomened black cohosh for hot flashes. As some of you know I am allergic to a lot of things. Has anyone had any adverse reactions to this herbal med? And did it help you with the hot flashes? I thought the hot flashes with fibro was bad. I am meserible my mother never had hot flashes and none of my friend have had them either. How long does this go on too.
    Thanks So Much
    Charleen
  2. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

It has helped me a lot...I haven't hit menopause yet but have night sweats and hot flashes when I forget to take it.

The important thing with Black Coshosh is not to take more than the recommended dose which studies say is 40-50mg per day. I believe the formulation of Remifemin with JUST Black Cohosh falls in that range.

I go ahead and get the 500mg capsules, open one up, and take a pinch every day. It's cheaper and one capsule lasts over a week. I have MCS and have never had a reaction to Black Cohosh...it's one of the few herbs I tolerate.

I know studies are conflicting about whether it helps or not...all I can say is it works for me.

Jan
  3. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

fighting with hot flashes. I was up to 30 in a 24 hr period. I went to CVS and bought their brand of " estroven" and it has helped so much!! Im down to 2-3 a day now. I was just reading the back and it says it contains 40mg of black cohose in 2 tab. Some days Im taking 2 in the morning and 2 again in the evening which is double what it says to take.

It also says Isoflavones are natural sources of phytoestrogens that help reduce hot flashes and night sweats. Backed by clinical research. I was taking the estroven brand when I saw the CVS extra strength which has 56 tabs instead of the 24 or so of the name brand and cheaper too.

Hope this helps.

Suzette
  4. jmq

jmq New Member

Hi,

I tried it...it worked for awhile...then moved on to other over the counter natural suppliments...including " All Womens" brand. It worked for almost a year and then the flashes came back big time. I was sweating and flushing so many times a day, I could barely function in my work setting.. now I am under control again with RX patch called ClimaraPro. I change the patch once a week and it is suppose to be a little less risky than the hormone replacement pills. Once I stop working, I want to get off of it due to the risks. Good luck with natural alternatives.
    jmq