'Black Henna' tattoo may NOT be temporary MAY BE DANGEROUS

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Jun 24, 2007.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

This is really interesting. I have always admired the henna tattoos done by Indian women for celebrations.

Well, it appears that pure henna (reddish-brown) tattoos WILL disappear in about 3 weeks with no repercussions... and allergic reactions are very rare.

HOWEVER, apparently a NEW/'IMPROVED'(?) version is being offered as 'black henna', can cause very real dangers... it has PPD (Para-phenylenediamine) a synthetic black dye used in hair dye!

-so if you happen to be allergic to it, that supposedly temporary tattoo may not only cause life-long scarring but ALSO allergies to some anesthetics as well as medicines!

& from elsewhere:
    ..the problem with all of this is that "Black Henna' (fake henna made with PPD) provokes cross-allergy, making people allergic to other things which contain para substituted amino compounds,"

This includes local anaesthetics, sun-protection cream and other cosmetics - eye shadow, for instance. Also clothes - black ones containing certain dyes - as well as many hair dyes and printing chemicals.

"I really would warn parents to keep their children and teenagers away from this stuff at all costs. These things could affect the rest of a person's life."

If you google 'black henna', you will see pictures of people's real-life blistering and scarring from the black henna tattoos... horrific!

SO if you have kids, grandkids, or even for yourself - BEWARE-- as I can see some of us doing this as a lark while on vacation. Florida has issued laws against it, but seems to be the only state that has.

all the best,

2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good reminder, I hadn't even heard about the black henna before today.

But.........you just reminded me how much I used to love getting henna when I lived in Bahrain. The beautiful and intricate designs they used were just wonderful and a special treat.

Nancy B
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

people getting the red henna "tattoos" at street fairs, etc. around here.

I suppose if you warned teenagers, a large percentage would run out and get a black henna job at the earliest possible opportunity.

4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I recently started putting henna on my hair again, after 35 years......used black stuff and red stuff mixed......it says on the black one that its indigo leaves, thats all and its from Pakistan.

Hoping its okay.

Thanks for the warning.