BLACK MOLD QUESTION

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by budmickl, Oct 12, 2008.

  1. budmickl

    budmickl New Member

    I have just spent all day going through boxes of stuff that was covered with black mold. Papers, glass, plastic, YUCK! I have a large number of storage boxes under a tent but neither the tent nor the plastic boxes were water proof, I guess.

    Anyway, I finished for the day and was washing with soap and water and wondered if I should something to make sure I don't get sick...

    Thanks in advance! I'd do a search on mold postings, but I don't understand how the results are shown.

    budmickl
  2. Forebearance

    Forebearance Member

    Hi budmickl,

    I know! I don't understand how to find past threads on this new board, either. I feel really frustrated about it.

    I would suggest that you take a shower and wash your hair and wash the clothes you were wearing when you sorted your stuff.

    Who knows if the mold on them was one of the toxic kinds or not. But either way I think it would be prudent to be cautious.

    Love,
    Forebearance
  3. klcooper

    klcooper New Member

    Hi,

    Get a face mask for future use if you're not done, go to Lowes and ask which one, we had to do that and got masks.

    If you can, throw out what you can with out going through too much if possible. Black mold can be bad, just be careful.
  4. budmickl

    budmickl New Member

    I didn't even think of using a mask... and gloves crossed my mind when I was almost done for the day! Hopefully, soap and water will protect me from yesterday's mess. But oh my gosh, I have still have 10 - 15 boxes to go through. Most of them are stuffed animals so I will probably just toss them out, but a lot of stuff is place mats, napkins, table clothes that I had for my catering business.

    Hopefully I won't get sick from yesterday's work and will certainly be more careful when I tackle the job again.

    Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it~

    budmickl
  5. cczub

    cczub New Member

    Just did the same thing 2 weekend's ago. Got some water in my crawl space and didn't think twice about it except to joke to my wife I probally just knocked off some years of my life. Looking back I should ahve masked up and put on some gloves. Luckily I didn't have it as bad as you've seem to have it.

    Good luck and wear some protection.
  6. budmickl

    budmickl New Member

    I have one of those portable garages in my back yard that I am using as storage. In it, there are many, many of the plastic storage bins with everything from paper to fabric to glassware in them. There is a rip in the roof due to it going through a tornado the first of May. I thought I had everything closed up tight, and threw another tarp over everything. Wind blows, stuff shifts and water still got into a lot of the boxes. That is where how the mold developed.

    I understand that I can't try to salvage anything more. I'm even throwing the storage containers away.

    I asked this on the Chit Chat board but am going to ask it here too. I did bring in bunch of the paper work into the house to dry. I'm sure the house is infected now. What signs of illness should I be looking for in my and my dog? I know long term there could be consequences but in the short term... anything I should know??

    I feel so reckless having done this to myself, especially after reading here from all the people who had posted how mold has made them sick. Oh well, I can't undo what I've done, but I certainly can do better going forward I hope!

    Thanks to all who have responded. I'm learning... slowly!

    budmickl
  7. Forebearance

    Forebearance Member

    Hi budmickl,

    The thing you can do is to get the moldy papers out of your house.

    It would be secondary contamination, meaning that the mold was in your house, but not growing in your house. I guess the best thing to do now would be to watch very carefully for any damp places where mold spores could take root and grow. There could be a certain number of spores floating around in the air inside.

    If you have mold allergies, then exposure to any kind of mold could give you typical allergy symptoms like sneezing, sore throat, coughing, sinus pain, etc.

    If it happened to be toxic mold that was on your papers, the symptoms of mold poisoning are the symptoms of CFS or FM. So your CFS or FM would get worse. You might even get additional symptoms.

    I hope that helps!
    Love,
    Forebearance
  8. budmickl

    budmickl New Member

    Thanks for the info! What I brought into the house was glass items that had been wrapped in green slimey paper but the paper had been peeled off outside and discarded. The paper items, I sorted them outside and them brought them in the house to dry in the pantry/laundry room. I have since thrown most of them away but I do still have some that I need to copy and then get rid of them.

    Elaine - how in the heck did you find an old post? I really like this new board but I just don't have any luck with searching. I did, however, did a Google search on a phrase in the post and found the original article. It didn't have the links I think you were referring to. Anyway, I read the article and don't understand anything about it.

    On the Chit Chat board, Mr Bill sort of put my mind at ease... He stated that is the mold spores that are worse for us and since almost everything I touched was wet at the time, then I washed up good... I am looking on the bright side that I should be (sort of) safe.

    But in general, I know I can't salvage the fabric items or stuffed animals... Good bye little piggies.... I have about 250 stuffed piggies and they are most of the damaged things... Oh well, guess we all have to give up our security blanket some time!

    budmickl
  9. Slayadragon

    Slayadragon New Member

    I don't know where this information came from, but it's all inaccurate or misleading.

    Look at the following books for references:

    "Mold Warriors" by Ritchie Shoemaker, M.D.
    "Surviving Toxic Black Mold Syndrome," by Mary Beth Short-Ray D.O.
    "Mold: The War Within" by Kurt and Lee Ann Billings

    *

    Mold toxins 02/09/08 11:56 PM

    For Information Only. I'm not going to defend the information in any of the articles.

    CORRECTING MOLD MISINFORMATION

    Very thought provoking article.

    From article:

    "The toxins made by Stachybotrys are not neurotoxins, whereas the toxins made by Fusarium can be."

    ABSOLUTELY THE TOXINS MADE BY STACHYBOTRYS ARE NEUROTOXINS>


    "Almost all molds make toxins. For example, Alternaria which lives on trees and is considered by mold promoters to be benign, makes 80 mycotoxins, some which have been shown to be quite toxic in studies."

    SOME TOXINS ARE MUCH MORE TOXIC THAN OTHERS THOUGH. SOME STRAINS OF STACHY MAY BE MUCH MORE SO THAN OTHER STRAINS. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE COMBINATION OF STACHY AND CERTAIN CHEMICALS (SUCH AS FORMALDEHYDE) MAY BE PARTICULARLY TOXIC.


    "The best known mold infections occur from outdoor mold. Histoplasmosis in the Ohio Valley and coccidiomycosis in the San Joaquin Valley are the prime examples."

    INFECTIONS FROM MOLD ARE NOT REALLY THE CONCERN WITH REGARD TO CFS. IT'S THE TOXIC ISSUE THAT'S THE PROBLEM. STACHY DOES NOT GROW IN THE BODY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. HOWEVER, STACHY CAN DESTROY THE IMMUNE SYSTEM, ALLOWING NUMEROUS OTHER INFECTIONS (BACTERIAL, VIRAL, MYCOPLASMA, FUNGAL) TO TAKE HOLD. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT INFECTIONS LIKE ASPERGILLIS MAY BE ENABLED BY STACHY POISONING.

    "It is highly unlikely that there is a home in the world without some Stachybotrys spores in it."

    THIS IS UNDOUBTEDLY TRUE. CROSS-CONTAMINATION (SPORES CARRIED FROM ONE LOCATION TO ANOTHER ON HUMANS, ANIMAL OR POSSESSIONS) MAKES THIS LIKELY. STACY SPORES (LIKE OTHER MOLD SPORES) ALSO APPEAR TO TRAVEL IN THE AIR. THE NUMBER OF STACHY SPORES IS WHAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE.