Black tongue

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monicaz49, Mar 8, 2007.

1. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

i woke up with this! WHY?
  2. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I have MCS. A couple of months ago I had a virus or bug that lasted over a month. The whole time my tongue was black. I didn't take any prescription meds fot it. I finally got well and my tongue cleared up.
  3. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

have you taken pepto bismol? I can't take it b/c it makes my mouth ~ tongue, gums, everything, turn black everytime.

Some people are very sensitive to the bismuth (the "bismol" part of pepto, liquid or tabs) ~ that can be the culprit in black tongue. My dh and kids can take it with no ill effects, but I can't, turns my tongue black every time.

Did you take the pepto tabs the night before you woke up with black tongue??
    [This Message was Edited on 03/08/2007]
  4. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

matter of fact...due to a constant burning stomach ive tried everything...including pepto tabs. Is this why its black?????Hmmm...my son took some too and his didnt turn black. I wonder why my body always does the strange things.

Thanks so much all
  5. ourplanet

ourplanet New Member

Hope this helps.
    ourplanet

http://www.atlantadentist.com/black_tongue.html
  6. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

Monica,

If you took Pepto, I'd bet that's what did it. I haven't taken it since that happened to me ~ gosh, it was way back in the 70's. Yikes, I'm old!! Ü Actually, I only took the Pepto to make dh shut up, I had been ill for days (hi! morning sickness!) and he was driving me crazy with "take some pepto and you'll be all better". It's always make me vomit, but that was the first time it turned my mouth black.

Waking up with a black mouth after days of vomiting did motivate me to go to the doctor though. Ü He was writing out a script for me and I asked for a pregnancy test. DH really thought I was nuts then. We had tried for 5 years, both been tested and told we had little to no chance.

Ha, I was pregnant, with twins! Had another set 2½ years later. None of my four children have any problems with Pepto, I'm the only odd ball. The doc back then told me it was just a reaction to the bismuth in the "pink wonder" ~ I guess being pg didn't help things much either.

Good news is dh never annoys me to take that horrible stuff anymore. LOL

mar