Bladdar Pain--IC or Fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Jan 2, 2006.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Hi all,

I get days of frequency and bladdar aches, but no infection. My Uro thinks it may be IC but also feels that the fibro has alot to do with my bladder problems. If I don't watch what I eat, I have problems. I noticed tomato sauce, sodas and chocolate bother me. I also get bladder aches, like an aching muscle.

Anyone else with IC and does it hit you everyday or periodically. Any home remedies?

Thanks,
    TKC
  2. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

My IC definately started like you described, the three food items you mentioned are definate triggers.

Stay off anything acidic,try adding some baking soda to water, it alkalizes, so less aches! Pay attention to medicines, I have problems with B & C vitamins, and Malic Acid. Check your water, most are acidic, may cause the aches to become major pain.
  3. SherylD

SherylD Guest

My mind doesn't work.. What is IC? I have Fibro.

I have a lot of pain in my bladder.. Especially when It is time for my period. It is periodically.

But even if I stand a lot it will ache and be bloated in that area. I had a UTI.. Then It ached alot and had pain going down the inside of my right leg.

I don't know if it is worse when I eat certain things, but now that you say that I think it might.

I don't know if mine is the same as yours but is sounds like it.

Would love to know more.

SherylD
  4. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

A lot of people with fibro have the associatd disorder interstitial cystitis. You can find out more on the Interstitial Cystitis Network message board (or COB for the UK).

The foods to avoid are spices, tomatoes, citrus, caffeine, chocolate & carbonated drinks - also possibly sugar, sweeteners & processed meat. Drinking only water helps me. Taking Prelief with food will alkalise it. Half a teaspoon of bicarb of soda in half a glass of water can be taken 3 times a day if you have no blood pressure or heart problems.

There are a variety of different drugs & instills & other treatments that your urologist can try on you, so don't despair.

I had a bladder stretch & biopsy that didn't help & revealed nothing. My uro thinks that my bladder & urethra muscles are affected by the fibro & don't work in harmony.

Best wishes to all of you who share this horrible condition.
  5. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Find a good doctor who knows about IC and get a diagnosis. I suffer from it, but it comes and goes. Right now I have been in a flare since July.

I have been following the posts on this board and had some success with both the baking soda and Prelief, but also started on some drugs to help. I also agree that making changes in your diet will benefit you as well.

Good luck.
  6. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Anyone use Pyridium or AZO for relief? I use it occasionally when the ache becomes annoying.

Tania
  7. FM58

FM58 New Member

I have IC, Fibro & CFIDS.

Every urologist I have seen believes that my IC is exasberated by my FMS & CFIDS.

My IC symptoms are also "cyclical", I always feel pelvic pain~ due to Pelvic Floor Disfunction, however I carefully follow the IC diet. I also take Detrol LA and pain meds for the pelvic pain. The urge is almost always there, but it changes in intensity. The frequency is what comes & goes, as the burning & pain w/ urination symptoms.

If you have definite connections with food and symptoms, then by all means avoid those foods. I know what foods will aggravate my IC and will avoid them.

Some things that have been suggested to me are: taking Tums, taking a tsp of baking soda in a glass of water (yuck), taking a bath 2x day in sea salt, never push when urinating, no constipation, making sure you are drinking plenty of water and following the IC diet.

In addition physical therapy, tricyclic antidepressants (Start at low dose, slowly work up to 75mg)and perhaps Lyrica for neuralgia pain.
  8. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Since B and C vitamins tend to irritate the bladder, do you all take a multi-vitamin or supplements separately?

Really curious as to how to take my supplements and which ones are most important.

Thanks,
    TKC
  9. SherylD

SherylD Guest

What are some symptoms of this.. cause the more you guys talk about it.. I think this us a problem for me.

I was going to ask my gyno the next time I went here soon. I can go to the bathroom and walk up my stairs and feel like I have to go again.

I always have pressure like I have to go. And now I have been drinking tons of water and it is worse. It just always aches when I have to go to the bathroom. The longer I wait to go the more it hurts.

Always feel swollen there.

Pain shoots down the inside of my leg when it gets bad.

And what about sex.. Is that painful? And make you feel like you have to urninate??

SherylD
    [This Message was Edited on 01/02/2006]
  10. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I would really like to know more about this.

SherylD
  11. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Bump, one more time for more info----
  12. JQP

JQP New Member

I have always attributed my bladder problems after it was damaged during laproscopic op (ovaries removed)...after catheter removed, then had fistula....suprapubic cathether for further four weeks.

I was left with what they called 'post void' drip, and I still leak, but is not stress incontinence as such. When they did tests my bladder held over 1000 mls (usual is 450mls) but I get indicator to go at 25 mls...and it doesn't change much. Then at 1000 mls they did the cough test...funny leaked then!!!

But I have regular occurences of infections that don't show in tests...until I get blood in the urine docs don't do much...when I feel it coming on I drink even more water than before (average 1- 2 litres a day). One doc used to listen and give me Trimethripin which sorted it out usually. But now I am allergic to Penicillin, they don't give me anything unless they really have to.

I have never thought about what I am eating at that time affecting me...only the fluid situation. So new resolution...my first in a decade, I will start being more aware of what I put in to my body and its responses.
  13. kch64

kch64 New Member

I got it years ago. The best thing I've found to calm the pain is to drink one teaspoon of baking soda in 16 oz of water.

You can do this every 8 to 10 hours. It works fast and it was told to me by my urologist. They key is to alkalize the urine. Also, he said to chew tums several times a day.

I cut out Nutrasweet and its much better than it used to be.

The baking soda really works well.

K.
  14. canders5

canders5 New Member

I'm new to this message chat thing. I'm a women almost 50 and had big issues with aches in my abdomin area. My OB Gyn diagnosed me with Fibroid (which I did have but small ones on my ovaries.) So, I went under the knife and had my uterus removed, (not my ovaries for hormone reasons). Well, this didn't fix the problem and I struggled for another 5 years with all of the same symptoms and issues you write about.

My OB Gyn then determined that I must still have more Fibroid tissue and recommended I have my ovaries removed. So - basically, I have two hysterectemies! Thank goodness my wonderful husband is such a great care-taker.

And yes, you guessed it. Still had pain. Finally, my OB Gyn said I should check into a Urologiest to determine if I had IF. Yes, the doctor confirmed it and recommended a horrific and cost procedure. (I think someone on this message board wrote about it.)

After tons of research, I determined that the sugar sweetner Aspartame was a big culprit. I switch to Splenda sweetened products and I'm probably feeling 90%. I still eat spicy foods, some chocolate (not alot mostly as a random treat) and lots of tomatos. Pepsi One is a diet cola that is sweetned by Splenda. It took about 8 months to really notice a difference. I'd strongly recommend you try that before going 'under the knife' like I did.

Please feel free to contact me if you'd like to discuss this more. Best of luck. Hang in there!
  15. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I'm glad that you posted on this topic..

I have just begun trying to figure out this problem. I thought it had something to do with my uterus or my ovaries. I had an ultrasound done and that all looked fine.

I was going to bring up this to my gyno.. Now maybe I won't. I don't want to go through what you have.

So after reading all of this I am thinking this is the problem.

I can't figure it out, if my husband and I have sex then I ache for a week and feel like I have to go to the bathroom all the time. Or while we are having sex I feel like I have to pee all the time, even if I just went. It always feels like I am going to start my period. I just always have presure too.

When it gets really bad I get a pain that shoots down the inside of my right leg. Plus when I wear tight jeans it is worse.

Are these symptoms of it??

[This Message was Edited on 01/03/2006]
  16. Molly144

Molly144 New Member

I was diagnosed with FM 4 years ago. Just in the last 1 1/2 years have I had bladder pain. My docs (internal med and urologist) have tried me on several different drugs. The only one I get relief from is Urimax, Utira is the generic brand. But even then, when my period comes around, there's no stopping the pain.

My gyno recently tested me for IC and I was negative. But unless I keep taking the Urimax, I feel very very uncomfortable, like I am about ready to burst, even after I go to the bathroom.

One odd thing about my urine tests, there's always a trace of blood and no bacteria. The urologist looked up inside my bladder several months ago and saw where the base of the bladder is inflammed and he figures that's where the blood is coming from.

Pretty scary. But the most scariest thing for me is not knowing what tomorrow will bring. What else is going to happen.

17. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Your symptoms sound like IC, please see a urologist. You may like to visit the IC Network message board for help.

Sherryl, I've found those plungers of local anaesthetic (that are used to numb the urethra before installing catheters) useful to use before sex.
  18. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I have been suffering with that since 1997. I would get horrible bladder pain and feel burning privately with horrible yeast infections. Then it would go away, and come back. I do much better if I keep my vaginitis sxs under control. I have to use Gynezole cream vaginally at least once to twice weekly besides using Probiosyn (Primal Defense) and Diflucan. Very annoying, but I pee like the dickens when it acts up and it makes my bladder hurt really bad, but I like you never have an infection. I was diagnosed with the IC by a urologist back in 1997 or 1998 when they did studies at the hospital outpatient and he had to stretch my bladder and could see that's what it was.

GBHope
  19. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I always say it feels like my bladder is inflamed or swollen..Lots of pressure everywhere.. Plus my stomach sticks way out there.

I think I had this problem when I was pregnant with my daughter.. The dr. just always said it was just my muscles from being pg again.

Glad you guys have talked about it.. I might just have to go see a urologist(SP?).

Thanks,
    SherylD
  20. donna275

donna275 New Member

I just started having pains in my pelvic area. I went to doctor because I thought it was a urinary tract infection, but it was negative. It lasted another week and then went away so I thought it was a fluke. Now it has come back, but not as bad as before. I feel pressure in pelvic region, urinate a lot during day and night, feels really full but not that much comes out. I even feel some pressure around my anus. Also have a fluttering in my abdomen which I think were muscles, but always different areas. Really really weird. All I can think of is what is next? I feel kind of bloated but not visually noticeable. Sometimes my ovaries ache, but I could be ovulating at the same time and getting symptoms from that. Of course, I think I am becoming a hypochondriac. If it is not one thing that I feel is wrong, it is another. And, I go to the worst case scenario, like I have cancer with every new symptom I have. It is so frustrating!!!!

I may go to the doctor again, but i have to go to court soon with my ex-husband regarding custody and child support and that is very scarey too. I don't want to add to my stress if the doctor orders tests. I just need to get past this court date and get on with my life. This whole situation with my ex has been dragging on for almost a year and my current husband and I just want peace!

Donna