Bladder and Bowel Problems???Help!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by RENA0808, Jan 29, 2014.

1. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

Hi
    I have been having problems with water retention for a while.
    At first I used to think.........wow I can hold my water really well!

But then 5 weeks ago it got to the point where when I had my morning pee it would not come out!!!!When it finally did it was like a little trickle that I could not feel or even hear!

My bowels where also giving me problems....constipation and also one time where I actually lost control and actaully **** myself which was horrendous!I also have suffered with bowel leakage yuk.My doc said I may have constipation so gave me gentle laxitives for that.

Strangely enough this has worked on my bowels but.........................my bladder is still giving me problems.I feel a sensation that I need to go now but I still dont have the strength to push and I can go hours before I need to go.
    Doc tried to give me an internal exam which sent me through the roof!!!!I have never been able to have smear exams for years because of the pain!!!!!

So now I am being referred to a urologist.The thought of any touching me is sending me into a panic.
    Anyone had these problems?
    Thanks
    Rena
  2. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

My question is how much water do you drink a day? Coffee and tea don't count. I read a book years ago about the importance of water to MAKE you lose urine. The body will hang onto liquid, making you retain it, UNTIL you give yourself enough water to start going. For me, I'm 5'5" and weigh about l40 lbs, so I KNOW I need about 64 oz of water to keep thing working.
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

Tea, coffee, milk, juice, fruits and veggies - anything with liquid in it - counts as hydration. If your urine is light coloured and has no odour then you are getting enough hydration in the day. If it is dark and/or has a strong smell then you need to be drinking more in the day. It is a myth that we have to drink only water for it to count.
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

You definitely need to see a urologist as something obviously is wrong with your bladder. If it is too painful then I imagine he/she would do this in a hospital and put you under while they do the exam. The urologist will usually use a cystoscope to check your bladder and would probably use a numbing gel before inserting it. My sister had to have these done often and she said that they were no big deal and didn't hurt.
  5. spacee

spacee Member

Oh, no. The cysto IS a big deal and insist that the urologist put you to sleep. I have had about 5.
    One without sedation. Yep, only one and the rest with.

That's about all I know to say. I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis but since I started taking
    D-Mannose, I don't have any problems with it.

Constipation is a challenge. Last colonoscopy, she said that she had to squirt medication on my colon
    to make it relax. So, I ques it just won't relax right. I use the CVS brand of Miralax during the week
    and one night a week take a stronger laxative.

I do hope you find some help.

Spacee

Guess I will add that I have had my urethra dilated about 4 times and my bladder stretched 4 times. It was
    under sedation. They just fill the bladder with water. It actually feels good. Or better than not peeing!
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

Spacee, I had the bladder dilation done about 14 years ago. It worked wonders for my IC. I'll have to look into the D-Mannose as I still have the occasional flare when I eat something really spicy or too acidic.

I guess everyone's pain level is different. My sister never had sedation for her cysto and she had it done every three months for 18 months at the doctor's office.
    spacee likes this.
  7. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

For me, taking magnesium thru the day and keeping mag levels up is critical to keep from the constipation issue...

I also subscribe to 2-4 oz of organic aloe vera daily to keep things moving. The Keagel exercise is important to keep the urinary tract in good shape......MANY do not do the keagel work.
    spacee likes this.
  8. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

Thanks for replies
    I drink plenty of water and urine is light coloured and does not smell so I hope it is an easy test!
    It is the pain that is scaring me cos I cannot bear any examinations anywhere on my body...Vaginal being 10/10 pain!

I will let you all know how it goes!
  9. simsongavy

simsongavy Member

10. kbak

kbak Member

Hi,
    Have you been looked at for MS? I have CFS, but my girlfriend has MS and this exact thing happened to her. You might want to take a look. When you see a doc bring this up and ask if this is a possibility. So sorry.

kbak
  11. Nin B

Nin B Member

Hi, I am really sorry to hear of your ordeal. I do hope u get some results and get to feeling better.

Are you on any meds? I experienced something similar with my bladder, while i was on a gabapentine/amitriptiline combo. Prior to the meds, I did notice an increased ability to retain fluids like you noted. My initial prescription was low dose and I didn't notice any clear worsening. However when the dr continued to increase my dosage it became unbearable. I would feel the heavy urge to urinate in the morning and not successfully pass until about 5pm. I spent hours in the washroom trying to convince my body it was ok to do what it needed to do but release felt far. I tried drinking water, meditating, opening the pipes, singing but nothing worked. I eventually withdrew from the meds and it dissipated within days. It was a rather uncomfortable experience.

I cannot say if this is the case with you, but probably u should talk to your dr or do some research.
  12. jaminhealth

I'll throw this out as I just heard a lady call in on the health program I hear Sat mornings. This lady talked about IBS....

My friend had horrible IBS for many years and she heard about taking 2 drops peppermint oil in 1/2 glass water every morning and she did this for a good long while and got rid of the IBS she was dealing with so long....

Digestive Enzymes, Probiotics and DGL are my cure alls for intestional issues.....jam
  13. tig519

tig519 Member

After you had relief from constipation, did you feel you could urinate better? Sometimes, one can drastically affect the other (pressure is pressure). Age also plays a role as it relates to muscles. Sometimes I feel like people jump to the worst conclusions.
  14. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

Since using the constipation meds I am still having a few probs with my bowel .......and it now feels as though I need to pee URGENTLY but when I go it still will not come out easily.
    I have appointment with consultant in April so hopefully I will find something out then.
    I am not on any new meds so cant blame them.
    Will let you know how I get on
  15. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Rena0808 - are you on any meds? Several years ago my elderly mother was given Aricept for dementia. She didn't have Alzheimer's, just mild stroke-related dementia, and never should have been given Aricept, but that's another story.

In any event, after awhile, I don't know how long, she began complaining that she couldn't pee. The idiot doctor said it was all in her heard due to dementia (I could kill some of these doctors!) and ended up putting in a catheter that she had to wear all the time - I still get angry when I think about it. Why put in a catheter anyways, if it's all in her head?

But I'm digressing again. That catheter led to so many problems, infection, trips to the ER, it was insane.

What this long story is all about is that I finally read the very fine print for Aricept that comes in the drug handout sheet that no one reads, that difficulty urinating (I forget the technical name) was one of the "side effects" of Aricept. I told the doctor who promptly stopped the Aricept and removed the catheter.

So difficulty with urinating is a "side effect" of some meds and you cannot rely on your doctor to tell you about it - you have to read all the fine print yourself. You can find the package insert information for drugs on-line if you don't have it.

Best wishes,

Mary
    Nin B likes this.
  16. Nin B

Nin B Member

I totally agree with this!
  17. jaminhealth

I've been taking Alfalfa tabs from Bernard Jenson for over a couple weeks now and it's indicated for kidney issues and help in urine flow. I'm taking the Alfalfa for joint relief HELP.

Now, I just spoke to my neighbor who takes the 3 drops of Peppermint in the morning, she heard on Dr. OZ about take 3 drops in water after each meal for DIGESTIVE issues... so daily she's taking at least 9 drops of peppermint.......she has digestive issues for years and recently has been worse and her acupuncturist told her it's "salmonela"... well he's treating her for this issue but she does NOT think she has salmonela and I don't either, asked my pendulum for her and it said a big strong NO. She's doing so much better with the higher dosing of peppermint .
  18. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

Still waiting for appointment from hosp to have bladder stretched(cant think of name of procedure).

I am really panicking about the anaesthetic because I have heard so many stories of fibro patients suffering and I have always had probs with this in the past!!!!!
    Got loads more stuff going on now but this is my worst worry.
    Let you know how it goes.
    Rena
  19. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I've been experiencing almost these exact same symptoms and found information online about rectal spasms that described it perfectly. Look it up and see if you think it fits your situation.