BLADDER INFECTION QUESTION...PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tes, Mar 31, 2006.

1. tes

tes New Member

Hi everyone. Hope all is well. Just wondering if someone can help. I used to get bladder infections on and off for about a year and a half. It has been almost 2 years since my last one. However, earlier this week I started with the symptoms again. YUK!!

I left a urine sample with my doctor for analysis and she prescribed me antibiotics to take. She called me today to tell me my results had no accurate diagnosis.

She said bladder infections are caused by one bacteria and my urine sample had "many different kinds of bacteria" She said she wasn't concerned and has seen this many times. I am switching to a different antibiotic today, as I still have bladder infection symptoms. Just out of curiousity, has anybody ever had the same findings and what did your doctor have to say. If anyone has had a result with many different bacterias in the urine, please write and give me any advice.

Thank you kindly,

Anastasia
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

One I had that was very severe had high protein, red and white cells and also multi bacteria. In the end I agreed to take CIPRO for it. It cleared it up but is sure did a numbner on my intestines for a month, despite using Probiotics.

Hope this helps.

Anne C
  3. Steviegal

Steviegal Member

I have had many bladder infections in the past, but thankfully not in 4 years. However, I might add that I had a very bad reaction when I was given Cipro (Ciprofloxin) for a bladder infection. At the time the doctor said my bacteria were not 'easily identified'. In the past Macrodantin (I think that's the name) cleared them up just fine, but I had a new doctor. The Cipro ended up giving me a massive yeast (both vaginal and rectal) infection.

Find out if the medicine is a BROAD SPECTRUM antibiotic (which Cipro is, Macrodantin is not) and take precautions. Take a GOOD probiotic (pill or liquid) from the health food store. Don't take it at the same time as the antibiotic, but in the 'off' hours. Say you take an antibiotic every 4 hours, then take the probiotic 2 hours after the antibiotic.

Broad spectrum antibiotics don't 'selectively' kill, they kill both the bad AND the good 'flora' in your digestive tract. I ended up with bladder scarring from the yeast infection (as seen with a bladder camera, ouch) that took 8 months to clear up.

Stevie
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

when you get done using the antibiotics, get some d-mannose powder.

D-Mannose is the active part of cranberries, is a sugar alcohol that the bacteria in your bladder will latch on to and get flushed out, they cannot grow on it since it is not a true sugar.

After having an infection for the very first time at age 40, it turned into a stubborn one - kept reoccuring every 30 days after abx - ended up having a cystoscopy every month for 3 months until doctor could determine there was no more bacteria...

and since then, off and on repeated bouts ever since - I now use d-mannose at first sign and rarely get an infection now, happily.

hope this helps,
    Victoria
  5. tes

tes New Member

Hope I can get some more responses and any advice. Thanks to all who have shared their experiences with me:) Take care.
  6. tes

tes New Member

Hope I can get some more responses and any advice. Thanks to all who have shared their experiences with me:) Take care.
  7. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Anastasia,
    Whenever I feel a bladder infection coming on, I take a handful of cranberry capsuls. Cranberry juice is also very good, if you can handle the sugar. It seems that cranberries have a naturally ocurring substance that kills the bad bacteria, and elps keep the bladder healthy.

Why don't you ask your Dr. if it is O.K. to take it with your antibiotic? I can't take any antibiotics, so these capsuls are lifesavers for me.

Terry
    [This Message was Edited on 04/01/2006]