bladder infections..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by diamond5, Oct 13, 2002.

1. diamond5

diamond5 New Member

i have had terrible trouble with bladder infections for 10 years now.. is this yet another syptom of fms? i get at least 3 or so a year. also with ear infections.. thanks
    karenw.
  2. diamond5

diamond5 New Member

i have had terrible trouble with bladder infections for 10 years now.. is this yet another syptom of fms? i get at least 3 or so a year. also with ear infections.. thanks
    karenw.
  3. sb439

sb439 New Member

I've seen it mentioned several times as common with CFIDS.

The best thing I've found to deal with bladder infections is baking soda, half a teaspoon (or a little more) in water three times a day, generally an alcalic diet, and lots and lots and lots of warm herbal tea, and keeping warm at all costs. (The baking soda can't be used for a long period of time, especially if you've got high blood pressure.) Also a sugar free diet I believe helps.

Susanne

4. roro

roro New Member

I found what helps is the cranberry pills, to prevent it. I cant drink the cranberry juice cuz its loaded with sugar, and sugar aggravates it.
  5. SleepyWillow25

SleepyWillow25 New Member

First sign of infection head for the Cranberry Juice for a couple of days. Yes it does have suger in it but most ppl I know can handle it as its natural sugar. I would try this and if you can not tolerate the sugar as been mentioned try the tablet form. Baking soda is good also but you can't beat Cranberry juice.

Love Belle

6. diamond5

diamond5 New Member

i should buy stock in ocean spray and a vitamin company.. i have been downing both since wednesday :) i just cant figure out why i have them so often.. :( thanks for the replies!
    karen
  7. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I have had chronic Urinary Tract Infections since I was 13--that has been over 30 years ago...eshhhh. It is imperative that you get these under control. Recurrent UTI's are stressful on your body. They can be a causitive factor in the development of kidney stones--and man!! you don't want to go there--I have had four children--and passing a kidney stone--far surpasses that! I still have more stones in my right kidney--and hope they stay put! They can also cause a multitude of other problems.
    The cranberry preventative does often work, either in pill or liquid, as it keeps the urine too acidic for bacteria to thrive in. But if it is not working, and you are still having chronic infections---please see a urologist.
    Up until last year, I had no success with antibiotics, as the bacteria, had become resistant to most choices of antibiotics. I would go through the 7 or 14 day recommended regime of antibiotics...only to have another infection occur, within a months time. I played with these infections for years, not realizing the toll they were taking. The last infection I got--was a doosie! It landed me in the hospital with a 104.7 degree temp for days. What started as a resistant e-coli, kidney infection--went systemic. I was one sick puppy! The precipating factor to this infection--was the passing of a kidney stone which got stuck in the ureter--setting up a wonderful environment for infection to flourish.
    While in the hospital it was discovered that I had a tumor on my left kidney the size of a golfball--
    Immediately following this episode is when I began with my newest challenge--the beginnings of FM and CFS--
    All this is to say--I know chronic urinary tract infections seem just to be only a mild inconvienance sometimes...but it is imperative that the "chronic" be removed from this---you do not want to suffer the end results of these reoccuring infections. Find a urologist to work with. I am now--on a prophylactic low dose of antibiotics which I take once daily-- and it has kept me infection free for 5 months now--the longest I have gone without infection for years. Now I must deal with the tumor and the stones. Please don't take these infections lightly, and try to self medicate, with juices, and pills. If this has been occuring for the 10 years you stated--its time to get a handle on it. Don't wait for 30 years like I did--
    Best Wishes,
    Karen
  8. lucky

lucky New Member

Hello, Diamond5 and all the other bladder infection sufferers.
    Three years ago, I all of a sudden not only did I have chronic sinus/ear infections, but added quite a few bladder infections. As far as I can rationalize any infections in CFS/FM (and it has been proven), are our weak immune systems.
    By the way, the best cranberry juice according to my doctor is from dried cranberries. Cranberry juice with sugar in is not that advisable according to him. Or best of all, you can make the juice from fresh cranberries which I tried, not bad at all.
    I also got immune to the antibiotics - anybody knows what to do when an infection does creep up again, if nothing helps anymore? Kind regards, Lucky
  9. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

After a visit with my Doctor yesterday, he suggested that I quit taking the 50mg. of Macrobid daily....as a preventative to urinary tract infections. My urologist had prescribed this for me.
    My test revealed that I had killed all the good bacteria, in my gut....and candida was really flourishing because of the antibiotics I had been taking. I am now taking Mannos daily to prevent, the infections, and replacing the helpful bacteria in my gut with Lactobacillus acidophilus.
    Will let you know if this works.
    Karen
  10. lucky

lucky New Member

I have been taking Lactobacillus for years. However, right now I have the feeling that the Moducare I am taking has a positive effect on the bladder as well. And, Wobenzym is supposed to be an excellent prevention as also. I am stocking up on it again, when crossing the border because it is much more costly in Canada. Thanks for your advice, Lucky
  11. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

its not really bladder infections that i have, but the need to urinate more so. I go to the bathroom to pee, at least 20 times a day. And its always like a full bladder, not a little bit of urine, but alot.

I had bladder infections often when younger,they prescribed me antibiotics, and mentioned drinking the cranberry juice.

When pregnant with my first child, he is almost 16 now.. I had a bladder infection that turned into a kidney infection, blood in my urine. I was hospitalized for a week because of it. I remember the increase taking of drinking the cranberry juice also. I was put on antibiotics again, through a IV.
  12. lilladybug

lilladybug New Member

D Mannose is the BEST cure

...since 95% of all of us ladies bladder infections are caused by E Coli.
    It is all natural and you take 3 table spoons a day
    and within 1-3 days its GONE.
    E. Coli has "sticky little fingers" which attach themselves to the walls of our bladders and make us miserable!
    D- Mannose will wash them out naturally AND you will not mess up your bowel ecology by taking antibiotics since they also kill the good bacteria while they kill off the bad.
    Be very careful about continual antibiotic use for bladder infections....they can eventually mess up your bodies natural balance for good, and you can become resistant to them as well.

Do try cranberry drinks too, but be careful there is a TON of sugar in Ocean Spray Cranberry ...if you can get the purest cranberry juice with no additives it taste soooooo tart and not too good but it can help alot too.

If you are in alot of pain due to the urethra being spastic or in pain when you urinate...ask your doctor for Pyridium it will ease the pain while you take the D Mannose.
    Sure wish alot more docs knew about it. Make sure to get a culture but try the D Mannose while they are getting the test results back to you.....by the time they tell you it was E. Coli it will be gone with the D Mannose hence, no antibiotics!!!...if it is something else (5%) follow your docs advice.
    It is the same price as antibiotic but it is all natural and even adds good bacteria to the bladder.

You can buy it through a natural drugstore or your local Apothacary.

Hope this helps

Lilladybug!

13. lucky

lucky New Member

What is D-Mannose? I have never heard of it, but may be because I am living in Canada and have not looked for it.
    My infections are not caused by e-coli but another bacteria. Even when infectionfree I have quite a bit of discomfort. My doctor insists on getting a urine test every 4 weeks which helps to treat any infection in time. However, I know that there are lots of other things available which can be helpful to avoid these infections.
    And.... it is great to get all the input one can get and find out what other members are doing in controlling some symptoms.
  14. lilladybug

lilladybug New Member

D-Mannose it a white odorless powder and tastes sweet in water.
    3 tablespoons a day.
    You would need to do a search on the computer or an Apothacary in Canada, but I think you could order it from the states!

You would also need to find out if your bacteria could be helped by this? I only know that it kills E. Coli.....
    sorry....

Hope this helps?

Lilladybug
  15. lucky

lucky New Member

and I appreciate your reply. I will see if I can get more info on this powder, since I am going to the U.S. quite often. I get a lot of vitamines and above all Melatonin in the U.S. which are not supposed to be sold here in Canada. Luckily, I live only 1 1/2 hr. away from the U.S. border and love the vitamine stores there for their selection. Kind regards, Lucky
  16. robin

robin New Member

I AM CHASING DOWN ITEMS OR MESSAGES ON
    UTI'S TONIGHT. AM ON A MERRY GO ROUND OF
    ANTI-BIOTICS TO STOP MINE. CIPRO THE CURRENT
    MED FOR 2-3 BOTTLES (1 START,2 REFILLS) THEN THEY
    PUT ME ON ANOTHER ANTI-BIOTIC (FLOXIN HELPED TOO)
    AND CHANGE THEM AROUND TO TRY TO AVOID IMMUNITY
    OR AT LEAST AS LONG AS WE CAN.
    WHAT WILL I DO IF AND WHEN THEY NO LONGER WORK??

GOD ONLY KNOWS. GUESS I'LL CROSS THAT BRIDGE IF
    AND WHEN I COME TO IT. UROLOGIST A FEW YRS AGO
    SUGGESTED CRANBERRY JUICE....TOO TART. i WAS SICK
    OF THAT AFTER A MONTH. THE CRANBERRY PILLS OR TABLETS
    WEREN'T THAT MUCH HELP. INFECTION BROKE THRU THEM.
    I NEVER HAD ONE UTI UNTIL I GOT THE FIBRO! SO I BLAME
    THAT.....

ROBIN