Bladder Prolapse & Rectocele

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by goldie5, Sep 19, 2005.

1. goldie5

goldie5 New Member

I recently was diagnosed with bladder prolapse and rectocele, and the doctor suggested surgery.I"m in my mid 70"s and was wondering if surgery is the only solution, or is there any exercises that would help my problems? also, if I"d have surgery, what are the possible complications and recovery time.I don"t have any family except my husband living near us to help us.

Goldie5
  2. fibromaster

fibromaster New Member

The pessary is an effective tool in the management of a number of gynecologic problems. The pessary is most commonly used in the management of pelvic support defects such as cystocele and rectocele. Pessaries can also be used in the treatment of stress urinary incontinence. The wide variety of pessary styles may cause confusion for physicians during the initial selection of the pessary. However, an understanding of the different styles and their uses will enable physicians to make an appropriate choice. Complications can be minimized with simple vaginal hygiene and regular follow-up visits. (Am Fam Physician 2000;61:2719-26,2729.)

The pessary is one of the oldest medical devices available (Figure 1). The type of pessary that is appropriate for each patient depends on the condition being treated. Although many physicians are unfamiliar with the pessary, it remains a useful device for the nonsurgical management of a number of gynecologic conditions (Table 11-4). Physicians who are familiar with the use of a pessary will be equipped to manage a variety of pelvic support defects, including genuine stress urinary incontinence.

For more information go to this website
    http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000501/2719.html
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    It is possible to prove the value of kegel exercises (also referred to as "pelvic floor exercises") in preventing and reversing many debilitating pelvic related conditions which ultimately affect a vast majority of all women who have experienced vaginal childbirth.

If you do a search for "kegel exercises" and "(name of the condition such as "uterine prolapse", "cystocele", "rectocele", "female incontinence", "stress incontinence", "overactive bladder", " urge incontinence", "pelvic pain", "sexual dysfunction" etc.)" on a medical website, you will find that "kegel exercises" or "pelvic floor exercises" are almost always recommended as a frontline treatment.

The major problem - until now - has been how the so-called "kegel exercises" are performed! Dr. Arnold Kegel, the Los Angeles gynecologist, PROVED that to obtain good results one must exercise against RESISTANCE. He also wrote extensively about how difficult it was for some women to identify and isolate the correct muscle, and how damaging a failure to do so could be.
    It is highly profitable for the "medical establishment" to recommend "kegel exercises" - squeezing against "nothing" - knowing that doesn't accomplish much at all - but that the guilt-inducing tease will ensure that they have a steady supply of future customers.

The adult diaper manufacturers, pharmaceutical drug companies, surgeons, etc. all make billions of dollars each year, and women continue to suffer.

There has NEVER been anything to make doing kegels truly effective like the patented, 510(k) FDA medically cleared Kegelmasterâ„¢, with 15 levels of adjustable resistance.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/80980
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

The cystocele repair and the rectocele repair, you may be able to have it as outpatient procedure or you may be required to stay overnight.

The fact that the bladder has prolapsed will make exercise nearly impossible to correct. In addition, the use of a pessary may cause restriction of blood flow to the area and add to problems.

The surgery, cystocele repair, basically involves an incision being made on the vagina wall and a "sling" placed and held by suturing to ligaments that will "hold" the bladder in place, preventing the bladder from pouching through the vaginal wall.

I'm 58 and had a cystocele repair about 5 years ago. It went well, and I was walking without problems right away. All I had was a little nausea.

As far as having help, my husband and I were alone; he did what he could and the rest waited. I was pretty well recuperated within two weeks, and off work for three.

I didn't have a rectocele, however as a nurse, I know that they are treated most successfully with surgery that will repair the vaginal wall where the rectum pouches through into the vagina. The Surgery closes the area of prolapse into the vagina and strengthens the wall of the vagina to prevent prolapse from recurring, similar to the repair of the cystocele. Your rectocele and cystocele can both repaired through the vagina at the same time.

I hope that this helps.

Warm wishes, Jeannette
  4. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

I've been told that I have a "kink" in my urethra. I'm 58 and know that I have some uterine prolapse also.

One Gyn wanted to remove everything and make me a "new vagina". I have been kind of hesitant to go ahead with all of the procedures. There is the option of having a cystocele and rectocele instead.

BUT, for me (maybe not in your case) if there is prolapse involved, would it be best to just do everything at once. Hysterectomy without removal of the ovaries??

I'd sure appreciate an opinion or two about the severity, risks etc of going ahead with the whole repair.

My mother (84) has used a pessary for prolapse for quite a while and it works for her, but I'd rather not have to change something regularly. Oh, and my Mother-in-Law had a cystocele and rectocele at age 70 and I remember it going very well for her.

Thank in advance for views on these subjects.
    Val
  5. goldie5

goldie5 New Member

Many thanks to each one that replied to my question.Its encouraging to know that others around my age or younger had successful surgery.

I tried a pessary a couple weeks ago, it only stayed in place overnight. My doctor said I could try a different kind, but I"d have to pay for it, I guess Medicare only pays for one.

I"ve tried exercises to strengthen the bladder muscles and ordered an expensive video on exercises to help my prolapse, but it didn"t help. I"m tired of the pain so I"m planing to go for surgery.

Thanks again for your replies, and Yucca13, I"ll be praying the Lord will help you make the right decision for your health.

Bless you all,

Goldie5