Bladder spasms, anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Buggs, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Buggs

Buggs New Member

Hi, I have been wondering if anyone else has my problem. I have been getting bladder spasms that make me think I have an infection but UA turns out ok. I now have meds for it but don't like to take it. I have FM, and with it IBS,GERD, and now these bladder stuff. Any one else? Any ideas how to handle it? Thanks, Buggs,
  2. jeanann

jeanann New Member

hi there
    I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis, and then fibro. it goes along with fibro, it is a bladder disease not infection!!! DO NOT eat or drink anything with acid in it until you find out. This thing can get very painful. trust me.
    There is a site called the IC Network it will help to see if you have IC. Dr. could not find any bacteria for an infection for me either.
    I am very sorry if you have this thing, it has been no fun.
    good luck
    jeanann
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Buggs, welcome to our world......... No, that is one I do not have! I though I had it all.

What did help with spasms, back, chest, legs, arms, etc. was taking magnesium.

Glad you found our board, and hope you find a solution soon.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. Buggs

Buggs New Member

Hi, Thanks for the information. I will look up the IC network. Also, I have been taking magnesium and I agree it is helpful. Seems like my muscles don't hurt as much when I take it. I have been told by a Dr that my magnesium test result was low. Should be about normal by now, I hope.
    Thanks again, Buggs
  5. IgotYou

IgotYou New Member

I can be just fine and then wham! I have to go NOW. I also will just suddenly leak a little with no warning. And I, too, get the burning feeling on some days like I have an infection. Is that what you're talking about?
  6. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Yes, I have some bouts of this very early on in my disease, probably 20 years ago. Currently I have it again, I believe as a result of chemotherapy. A couple things I have learned which may help. I found that when I drank the high potassium drinks (to help with chemo) the spasms were more pronounced. I found a site that mentioned that people with IC should avoid excess potassium. The same site also mentioned that spasming pelvic floor muscles seem to be related. It's not clear whether or not the spasming pelvic floor muscles cause the IC symptoms or the other way around. Anyway, pelvic muscle exercises are recommended. I just started them a few days ago. Good luck. diane
  7. dsames

dsames New Member

Hi:

I also have this, when it gets really bad, my dr. has given me pyridium to take for it. It does help, it is a type of anesthestic for the bladder, turns your urine orange or blue depending upon the brand used.
    I had a urologist in Fl also prescribe it for me while I was vacationing there. One thing I have noticed is I will always get the little beastie when I am traveling. Don't know why.
    Good luck
    Shirley
  8. beh43

beh43 New Member

Hi Buggs,

If you do get a diagnosis of cystitis, buy the book YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIVE WITH CYSTITIS! by Larrian Gillespie, M.D.. When I was diagnosed the nurse in my doctors office told me about the book. It helped me more than anything else the doctor prescribed. I even had DMSO treatments. The book gives an overview on the illness, emergency treatment and an acid free diet. Many foods have acid content that we don't normally associate with being acidic.

Hope this helps!
    beh
  9. sierrasioux

sierrasioux New Member

I also was diagnosed with IC around 12 years ago and I was just getting ready to post and ask if any others ever had the DMSO treatments.
    It helped so much. What did your family members tell you after you had the treatments? And you know what I mean don't you?
    I should go to the website and see what all is new with IC. I have only recently had some flare ups again.
    Do you have fibro also?