"Blame your genes for lengthy illness"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tansy, Nov 30, 2008.

1. tansy

tansy New Member

December 1, 2008

Genes could explain why some people recover from the flu overnight and others
    are still struggling with the dreaded lurgy two weeks on.

Infectious disease experts in Sydney have discovered that people who carry
    certain high risk genes are eight times more likely to suffer from a severe and
    prolonged illness when they have an infection.

A smaller group of people have a genetic combination that makes them
    particularly hardy, with a less severe illness.

"We all know that when people get sick some take a long time to recover and
    while others seem to get over it very fast, and what we've been able to show are
    the possible genetic reasons for this," said Dr Ute Vollmer-Conna, of the
    University of NSW.

The study, published in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases, is the first
    to explore the genetic determinants of the severity of sickness.

It analysed differences in immune response among 300 people diagnosed with acute
    glandular fever, Ross River virus or Q fever infections in the central western
    NSW town of Dubbo.

Researchers looked at the genetic variants of five cytokines, protein hormone
    messengers of the immune system which defend against infection.

About 28 per cent had the genetic susceptibility to more severe and prolonged
    illness, while 18 per cent had protective genes.

But it was too soon to say if the general population was affected to the same
    extent, Dr Ute Vollmer-Conna said.

She said those with the vulnerability have a overblown immune response.

"Some people will experience more severe symptoms than others when they are
    acutely sick with the same infection because their body's response is more
    intense which in turn is due to their genetic make-up," Dr Vollmer-Conna said.

"This group in the population were found to spend twice as many days in bed
    during the acute illness and they also reported more than twice as many days
    when they were unable to perform their normal roles and duties."

The findings could ultimately help identify people who are vulnerable and give
    them individualised prevention and treatment for common infectious diseases, and
    priority therapy in the event of a pandemic.

"In certain conditions, it may even be possible to save lives," she said.

2. mindblower

mindblower New Member

This article is about possible gene differences involved in acute infectious durations, those who recover within a day or so and those who need up to a few weeks or so to recover. It doesn't seem to be ME/CFS related at all.

Also as I recall, this same researcher was part of the Dubbo Infection Study Group looking at ME/CFS. Their recent conclusion is that there is NO infectious cause for our chronic symptoms.

3. findmind

findmind New Member

This looks like just another attempt to deny that we, the patients severely affected by ME/CFS, must have an "excuse" for why we don't get well.

Good point, mindblower; not really about ME/CFS if an infectious disease is not the cause of it.

BTW, we'd get preferential treatment in case of a pandemic? H**l, they'd more likely be happy we all just went on and died!

4. mindblower

mindblower New Member

You seem to miss my point:

This article is not about ME/CFS nor is ME/CFS an infectious disease or caused by one according to these Australian researchers.