Bleeding Gums

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chelle74, Aug 8, 2003.

1. chelle74

chelle74 New Member

I already have another post up tonight, but I forgot about this...

Does anyone else have a problem with bleeding gums? Mine have been bleeding for months now, every time I brush my teeth and sometimes at night or when I eat. I have very healthy teeth, and my gums are not inflammed.

I found bleeding gums listed as a symptom of FM on a couple of websites, but there were also about 50 other symptoms on there, and no suggestions for relief.

Suggestions appreciated!
    Michelle
  2. chelle74

chelle74 New Member

I have to admit, I don't floss regularly. But I never have, and my gums never bled until recently. Maybe it's my age creeping up on me :(

Sorry, I know I'm probably one of the younger people on here, but I still don't deal with aging well.
  3. Notonline

Notonline New Member

anemic and borderline at various times through the years. Probably the cause in my case.

Although yours are not inflamed...stress can also cause your gums to become inflamed and bleed...found that out a few years back from the dentist...after going through a stressful time and then having my gums swell up almost overnight.

I switch between my favorite toothpaste that I love and an all natural tea tree toothpaste during the course of the day. The tea tree has helped out greatly in my case.

Danny
  4. averilpam

averilpam New Member

bleeding gums are usually a result of gum disease (it was for me) I had no inflammation, just gum bleeding and sensitive teeth. I had a fairly extensive course with a dental hygenist cleaning them thoroughly and it got better. I'm really careful about flossing these days!!

I don't know what else might cause it.
    pam
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Tie the floss into two little knots, one on top of the other. Running this knot between the teeth will clean out debris between the teeth and especially if there is crown work, it will clean in the margins between gum and crown.

Water Piks are wonderful for blasting out chuncks which even flossing may miss.

Buy a rubber gum stimulator and rub the gums and press the tip up and down in between the teeth. This will toughen and stimulate the gum tissue.

Find the plastic brush piks and carry them with you. You can use them after eating to dislodge debris when you cannot brush.

One quarter of the over-35 population has some for of gum disease. The older we get, the more attention we have to pay to our teeth. Many of us have chronic systemic infections and dry mouth from medications. We are simply at more risk for oral health problems.

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]