Blepharitis. HELP!

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by NewOrleans, Jul 13, 2004.

1. NewOrleans

NewOrleans New Member

Anyone out there have blepharitis? I was recently diagnosed with this eyelid disorder. Had to discontinue two prescription antibiotics because of severe allergic reactions.

Any advice on how to get this painful problem under control w/o using antibiotics (beside lid scrubs and compresses)?
  2. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I don't know if Blepharitis and Blepharospasm are the same thing. Do you have uncontrolled twitching of one or both eye lids? My Father has this. His eyelids close and he can't stop it. It is like an extra long blink. He gets shots periodically for this condition with botulism. It is only good for about 6 months, then he has to get another shot.
  3. NewOrleans

NewOrleans New Member

It sounds like two different eye problems. Blepharitis affects the edges of the upper and lower lids. Thanks for trying.
  4. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I did a Yahoo search by typing in "blepharitis"---all kinds of web sites came up. Some tell about cleansing the lids very well several times per day. You might want to check them out by doing a web search. We aren't allowed to give web addresses.

It definitely does not sound like a fun thing to have. I did notice that there are two distinct types of blepharitis, so it is important to find out which one (or both) that you have for correct treatment. Joyfully
  5. NewOrleans

NewOrleans New Member

Been there; done that. I have researched blepharitis many times over on the web in the past few weeks. The info is basically the same: lid scrubs and compresses.

I'm getting some relief though. My doctor gave me samples of a medication on Fri. which has helped.
  6. MarieMarie

MarieMarie New Member

I have blepharitis, for 1 year now. It is hard to control or get rid of. They do not have a cure, just a matter of control.

Hot soaks for 10 minutes night and morning followed with eyelid scrubs using diluted Johnson-Johnson Baby Shampoo helps. It is important to keep eyelids clean.

I was sensitive to rough washcloths, now use cotton cosmetic pads and Q-Tips. Use Q-Tips on edge of eyelids, roll upper lid up and then pull down lower lid to scrub with Q-Tips. Use clean Q-Tip for each eye. Use clean cotton pad for each eye. It is easy to keep transferring from one eye to the other.

I was given eye drops in the beginning but they were a cortison type that should not be used more than a few days or a week, can cause glucoma.

Currently using an antibiotic ointment at night. Also use Systane eye drops every 4 hrs.

Diluting baby shampoo in palm of hand was too strong. Now use about 1/2" water in cup and add about 3 or 4 drops shampoo, stir, use to clean eyes.

DO not clean eyeballs or inside of eyelids. Just clean the outside and edge of eyelids where lashes grow.

It takes deditication, no forgets, etc. in doing what you have to do in order to control blepharitis.
  7. PaDutchman52

PaDutchman52 New Member

You are right on the money. I have the exact same problem and was told to do the exact thing. It does help alot. I use the baby shampoo ( 3-4 drops of it) in a dixie cup with warm water and wipe for 2 min. on each lid on the outside, not inside. I then take a very warm towel and place it on the eyes for about 5 min. I do this every AM and PM. Makes a huge difference. The eye Dr. told me ( in my case ) that it is mostly due to eye irritants and living in AZ. with it being very dry I have the dry eyes and that does not help. I think if every one does the above of what you mentioned they will have much better relief. I know I do!

PaDutchman
  8. JenSmith

JenSmith New Member

I have had blepharitis for two months. I have been doing the warm compress/baby shampoo treatment and I am still in agony. The constant washing of my eyes is tortures. I have recently switched the babyshampoo for Blephagel. Its new and doesnt have my eyes cry of pain afterwards. I have used the antibiotic eye ointment but made it much worse. The only thing that worked for the first two weeks was the TobraDex (steriod drops). However I cant take them anymore due the side effect being glaucoma.

When does it usually get better? When will I be able to wear makeup? Has anyone tried nathuropathic medication? Do the red eyes ever clear up? Has anyone had to miss work due to the embarrassment of the way your eyes look or because of the strong itchy pain?

neworleans - your doctor gave you sample medication. What kind?

I have been searching on line in hopes to communicate with someone who shares my chronic disorder.