Blizzard Warning in Ohio

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by teacher, Mar 7, 2008.

1. teacher

teacher New Member

Central Ohio is shut down. Unofficial measurements have us between 10 and 11 inches at 10:00 a.m. and it's still falling.

It's totally beautiful. The trees and bushes are breathtaking.

My patio is a child's dream. Unmarked snow. I'm just standing here looking out the window at it.

My friend is babysitting this weekend and they are planning to build a snowman later and make snow angels.

The list of closings are out on the radio and television. Two in particular made me laugh:

1)a local driving school has cancelled classes for today

2) [remember I said that central Ohio is shut down, including banks and libraries] the malls will be open at noon

Of course, they are telling everyone to stay off the road, but the city buses are free to all riders today. My mom just called and told me that a city bus had turned over on the north side of town. I think I'll run right out and catch me a bus! :)

Seriously, I haven't seen this much snow in 30 years. It's kinda fun!

Gonna go make me some hot chocolate, watch the snow fall and read a book!

See y'all when we dig out!
  2. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Tonakay is snowed in too.. The hot chocolate and watching the snow fall sounds pretty great actually but I don't think I could take the cold anymore.

Be safe and stay warm!!
  3. mildred623

mildred623 New Member

We're further south from you in Dayton. Last I heard we had 12-15 inches of snow. We actually got out yesterday and drove in it to the store etc. But we got 6 more inches overnight and my boyfriend says we wont leave the house today. Although I did send him walking to the store across the street this morning for a couple things I forgot last night. Even my work has been closed all weekend. I am hoping by Monday we will be open again, as I get paid daily and being off 3 days has put me in a bad situation money wise. Everything here is closed for the weekend even the malls. Take care and try and stay warm.
  4. teacher

teacher New Member

20.4 inches of snow by 7:00 p.m. Dontcha love it!

I stayed in and stayed warm. My thermostat is permanently set to 75. Otherwise I start the aching.

The sun is out today. Very pretty on the snow. Very bright white and kind of sparkly. Wear your sunglasses if you go out!

Had to shovel behind my car. Very thankful for a carport, but the snow plows blocked me in. Oh well, it wasn't too bad. I feel like building a snowman, but I'm too tired now. Maybe later, if I get my dishes done.

Didn't get to the hot chocolate, but I did have brownies, does that count? hee hee

My niece built a snow woman and we had fun sending pictures over the cell phone to each other (once I figured out how to do it!) She wanted vegetables to adorn her creation and my mom was crabbing. (Niece being raised by grandparents) I told my mom to just give her the vegetables and I will buy her more later! Yeesh!

But guess what. Niece told me that my mom spent the rest of the day on the phone bragging about her cute snow woman and how it's sitting where she can see it from the window. Go figure! lol

So, the city is digging out today. Some boring souls are predicting flooding problems, but I've got my fingers in my ears. It's too pretty to worry about that today!

Y'all have a wonderful day!

P.S. I didn't know we had an Acme Hot Dog and Sausage Company in town! It was listed as closed yesterday and today. What a hoot!

The Pepsi bottling plant was closed down yesterday also.

Man, there's gonna be a serious problem around here! No one will be able to eat! :)
    [This Message was Edited on 03/09/2008]
  5. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I really like snow too, it's beautiful, it's the extreme cold that gets me.

But march is the month of snow, and milder weather. My kids are out right now digging snow caves in the plowed snow from the driveway.

They look like they are having a blast!!

Stay warm!!
  6. teacher

teacher New Member

is in my profile.

Kind of looks like a big cake!

Too bad the marvelous sun is getting to it now. Ah well, all good things must come to an end.
  7. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Looks like a big wedding cake, the bottom layer!!

Oh-if i was a kid, oh heck that wouldn't matter, it just makes me itch to put a mark on that cake!!

A big smiley face!!!
  8. tonakay

tonakay New Member

living in the country and personally am sick to death of snow this winter... If I never see another flake I'll be thrilled to death. My poor little dogs don't even want to go outside, I have to keep re-digging an area for them to potty so the snow doesn't hit their butts..LOL I have my shotgun loaded for old Buckeye Chuck that said an early Spring.....
  9. teacher

teacher New Member

our allotment of calamity days. School has been cancelled for tomorrow. They are still digging the buses out! hee hee

We're only allowed five days and tomorrow makes five. I think that was our last hurrah though. Easter is coming.
  10. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I come originally from New York so know all about snow. Yes, the kids love it no matter what and it is horrible to drive in and to even get your car ready to drive in (esp if it is not in the garage). If so, you have to hack away at the snow ans ice just to get out to the street.

Yes, it just gorgeous when it first comes down. However, I for one could not take the cold any more.

I have lived in TX for about 30 yers now and am so used to the heat now and would much rather have that than the cold. My FM and CMPS makes it all worse. As I sit here typing my hands feet and nose is cold. The temperature today is 56 and is raining. We had some really heavy rain this morning but not so bad now. There may be more heavy stuff later but I hope not since I have to go out in it tonight.

Make a big snowman for me (-: !!

11. teacher

teacher New Member

By the time I had recuperated from digging out from behind my car, it was time to go to bed. It's been in the mid 40's here today, to the snow is really beginning to disappear. <sigh> it was fun while it lasted.

mustluvdogs - 22 inches! Fantastic! Sorry about you and your doggie dilemma. I'm sure that was difficult.

You and tonakay need to put away your shot guns though. Somebody could get hurt! :)

Granni - the cold isn't the best for me either, so I crank up the thermostat. Can't think about relocating yet. I've got too much vested time in my current school system. I'm getting too old (time wise) and I stay too tired to even THINK about moving.

Plus, my parents are in their 70's and I'm the only kid around to do anything they need done. So, I'll be here for a bit!

12. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

born and raised in Mayfield Heights, (suburb of Cleveland)
    The pic of your patio brings back fond memories. I have been away for 30 plus years. That is fine weather for snuggling.....enjoy,
  13. victoria

victoria New Member

your patio table sure does look like a big cake! IF it's still there, you should let your niece decorate it maybe. Even just a big pillar candle lit would be neat, LOL...

maybe your niece could build a few snowlady and snowmen friends sitting in the chairs? You could have your own party without having to bake anything... IF your niece does all the sculpture work that is!

I grew up north of Chicago, remember heavy snows all too well, thank you very much. It's true, when you move elsewhere to milder winters, you do acclimate. Can't believe what horrible weather I used to trudge thru to get to school or work, etc!!!!

Hope it's mostly melted by now...?