Bloated belly - any ideas??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Feb 12, 2006.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I've been eating healthier than I have in years. I've cut down on processed foods, junk food, soda pop and foods with high sugar. I'm drinking far less milk, too. My diet isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a far cry from how I used to eat.

I've been eating Stormy's shake for breakfast daily for 3 months as well as taking probiotics and aloe & lemon. So my gut is in better shape than it has been for years. No more constipation. I'm quite proud of my pretty BM's! They look just like I always knew they could!! LOL!!

But my belly is bloated so I look like I'm 4 months pregnant. My PCP said, "It's because you are eating better."

In general I'm feeling much much better than I have in years. I'm 49 and post menopausal. Any ideas??

Katy
  2. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Katy,
    Bloating is so very uncomfortable. What helped me is gentle probiotics, (you take them already), and the addition of 2 servings of red miso soup daily. My bloating went away in a week or so, and I feel a lot lighter.

As for the red miso, all I do is keep a pot of soup, and heat it one serving at a time. Just before I eat the heated serving, I stir in the miso (It can't be cooked if it is going to work). The first taste always surprises me, but afer that it is delicious! It tastes even better when accompanied by rice crackers and hummus, on the side.

Good luck. I hope this helps.
    Terry
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I get terrible bloating too, I dont look 4 months pregnant, I look 14 months pregnant. It's horrible.

I take a probiotic a day but it hasnt helped the bloating.

Some days I can be okay and sometimes I just blow up like a balloon, fingers too.

I'm looking forward to reading the replies. Wish I had an answer.

love
    Rosie
  4. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Adl123 - The miso soup sounds like it has promise. I will give it a try.

rosiebud - Look 14 months pregnant - Eeks! You poor thing! I don't have the finger bloating problem you have. Hope someone here has a possible solution.

MsMAGuess - I do take garlic daily. I recently uppped it from 400 mg to 600 mg. Maybe I need to go even higher.

Any other suggestions? Am I eating too much "good food"???

Katy
  5. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Have you checked out if you have any? My bloating comes from dairy & wheat. I cheat on wheat occasionally, and it's amazing how huge my stomach is in the morning.

LIGHT**********carole
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

garlic too and Milk Thistle.

I'm wondering if you mean dandelion water retention tablets, I have these but I'm reluctant to keep using them as someone, could have been Storm, says that they flush away the minerals too.

love
    Rosie
  7. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

My stomach has a bloated feeling also. I blame the hydrocortisone. My diet was good prior to taking it. The Coref and Cortisol can make you retain fluids. Be careful about eating anything salty, it will be worse. That's the only thing I can think of for me that is causing it.

-Laura
  8. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

hangininthere - I really like the suggestion of using Pau d'Arco alternating with the garlic. I have Pau d'Arco, but haven't taken any yet. Now seems like a good time to start! When you say high-dose garlic pills, how high are you talking about?

wamps - it does sound like Rosie has some fluid retention going on. I'm afraid I don't know much about that subject. I think you are right that someone else might have answers.

caroleye - I hadn't thought about food allergies or sensitivities. I definitely eat both wheat and dairy. I have recently cut down on dairy, but I still eat it, just not as much. It's something to consider.

rosiebud - I hope you see Stormyskye's answer above about the dandelion and milk thistle. Sounds like it's perfectly fine to keep taking them.

knowpain - Can you take something besides Lyrica? Does the Lyrica really help you? Maybe you could find something that helps you without the nasty side effect of weight gain. Glad to hear you are eating better, too. It helps!

Stormyskye - I knew you'd say "No such thing as too much good food" LOL! I agree. But I do think all the good food takes up more room in the gut and can contribute to bloating. Extra fiber. It's good, but it's bulkier.

I was taking Jarro-dophilus probiotic and am now taking Threelac. I think I will keep switching, as you suggest. Maybe I'm still having a battle in my gut with yeast. My bowels are happy happy happy. I'm very regular, so nothing is sitting around in there (or so it seems). I'm not excessively gassy, either.

I've never taken a multi-enzyme. Can you recommend a good one? Since I'm already taking Ultimate Greens, would that be redundant? I'm not sure if Ultimate Greens has enzymes in it or not. Does green food typically contain enzymes?

laura81655 - I do take Cortef. I hadn't thought about that being a contributor to the bloating. I also like salty stuff. Sounds like a bad combo. But I think the Cortef is making me feel better, so I'm not willing to give that up just yet. Hopefully taking Pau d'Arco will help lessen the bloating.

Thank you all for your input!

Katy

[This Message was Edited on 02/13/2006]
  9. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I'm already taking 600 mg garlic per day. Should I just add in the Pau d'arco and keep taking the garlic? Should I up my garlic dose? How much Pau d'arco?
  10. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Right here at Prohealth, and cheap too, believe me, I've shopped around. My last order for ProEnzyme P was for another 4 bottles of 200, they are about $25. per bottle.

ProEnzyme P are identical to the much lauded WobEnzyme that is so popular in Europe and esp. Germany (where they are way ahead of us in alternative medicine). These are proteolytic enzymes, a fancy term for protein digesting enzymes. You can buy ones targeted for digesting food, which will contain different kinds of enzymes, but these protein digesting ones will target inflammation in the body.

I find them invaluable for bloat, whether it's from an IBS attack, after diarrhea bloat (which causes the trots if I don't take enzymes), or period bloat. They help pain somewhat by bringing down inflammation, so they also help my migratory muscle/tailbone inflammation too.

I've replaced ibuprofen and all other NSAIDS/ASA w/ them.

Jeanne
  11. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

That ProEnzyme P sound like it's just the ticket. I'll order some on my next PH order. Thanks for the great tip Jeanne! I've never taken enzymes, so I'll be interested to see how I do with them.

I'll up my garlic to 2 tomorrow and start the Pau D'Arco next week. Thanks Stormy.

Gee, maybe I shouldn't have given away all my "skinny" pants this weekend! LOL! Oh well, the "fat" pants are more comfy anyway!

Katy
    [This Message was Edited on 02/13/2006]
  12. 2iggymom

2iggymom New Member

How much of the Pau d Arco are you taking at one time and what frequency do you take it.

Thank you
  13. leomonkey

leomonkey Member

I have IBS. "Budda belly" can be caused by a food... and yes, "even a healthy one. I watch certain veggies. I find that I can tolerate most things, but if my system is weakened than I will react.

Sometimes build up of toxins is cause of "budda belly"; I tend to swell up a bit everywhere else when this happens. I use greens to gently detox (Kyogreens for me), but it took me a long time to find the right one. Many other detox supplements and products were not as effective or too harsh.

14. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

YOU COULD HAVE TRAPPED GAS TOO. OR BE CARRYING EXCESS LIQUID. I THINK SIMETHICONE OS GOOD FOR GAS. IF YOU SWITCHED YOUR DIET TO ONE WITH LOTS OF FRUITS AND VEGGIES THEY CAN CAUSE BLOAT, BUT THIS WILL COME AND GO. YOU WILL BE VERY MUCH HEALTHIER THOUGH.

YOU MAY WANT TO TELL YOUR DOCTOR THAT THE STOMACH IS FAR HIGHER UP THAN THE ABDOMEN(TONGUE IN CHEEK HERE) AS THAT COMMENT WAS OFF THE WALL.

lOVE aNNE cROMWELL