Blood Donations and Transfusions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DrNicolson, Sep 13, 2010.

1. DrNicolson

DrNicolson New Member

Blood Donations and Transfusions

What is your feeling about possibility of passing ME/CFS (or FM) via blood donations? The CFIDS Association did a survey that found 40% of responding ME/CFS patients had given blood in the past. On the other hand the percentage who had received transfusions was at or just a bit above the national average.

I think that blood donations by CFS or any chronic illness patients are a bad idea. One Dutch study found that about 5-6% of CFS cases may have originally started with a blood transfusion.

2. SunshineEmpress

SunshineEmpress New Member

There is a machine called a hemopurifier - like a dialysis machine but it uses antibodies in a filter to remove viruses from blood. Have you looked into this, and if so might something like this be a way to help people with one or more chronic viral infections instead of, or in addition to, antivirals?

Friday they even announced the machine could filter "melanoma-derived exosomes" from "cell culture fluids" (97% in two hours). Any thoughts on this?
  3. DrNicolson

DrNicolson New Member

This could be useful for infectious agents that are found primarily in blood, such as some viruses that multiply in endothelial cells lining blood vessels, but for intracellular infections like Mycoplasma ssp, Borrelia b. and Chlamydia pn., which are primarily intracellular, removing the few blood-borne microbes doesn't make much of a dent in the microorganism load.