Blood donations?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by charls, Apr 19, 2003.

1. charls

charls New Member

I used to give blood until about 2 years ago when I had a bad experience (I became dizzy due to not eating beforehand, which was rather silly). Since then I have been diagnosed with FBS and havent really thought about going back. Anyways, I got the paper through the post again this morning and I would love to go and give blood again to help others out. What I want to know is if this could affect my FBS in any way at all? Does anyone else out there regularly give blood? Will they stop me from giving blood?

Any ideas/thoughts would be most welcome.
    Charlotte
    [This Message was Edited on 04/19/2003]
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I don't think they will stop you, but please reconsider this. We don't know yet if these diseases can be passed by blood. It would be cruel to give anyone else this illness. There are plenty of other ways to help folks out.
    Also, 75% of FMS patients have a Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) and many who have it don't know it. People with MVP have lower than normal blood volume, and should not give blood because it can make them very dizzy, esp.when standing up. If you have FMS and have not yet had an echocardiogram to find out if you have an MVP, please arrange to have one. People with MVP must take antibiotics for any procedure that may involve bleeding, even teeth cleaning, as they are at much higher risk of bacterial endocardidits, a serious infection of the heart lining.
    It is very good of you to want to help people, but I hope you can find some other way to do it.
    Welcome to the Message Board,
    Klutzo
  3. charls

charls New Member

Feel a tad embarrassed now. Even though Ive had FBS for 18 months I still dont know a lot about it. This MB is so great and the people here know such a lot.

Anyways needless to say I knew nothing about MVP, and would definately not want to put anyone else at risk from getting this DD. So I wont be going.

Charlotte
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Because research is finding a lot of chronic stealth infections in people with our illnesses, it does not appear that it is safe for us to donate blood, organs, or bone marrow, at least until more is known.

I would never want to pass this on to anyone, especially someone who needs blood.

Love, Mikie