BLOOD PRESSURE AND CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kathleen12, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I know that we had a recent thread about blood pressure, but this question doesn't really pertain to that exactly:

I have been checking my BP and pulse while sitting then again on standing and there is a slight drop in the systolic number and a rise in the pulse rate. Example:

sitting-125/64 pulse-78
    standing-103/63 pulse-90

I have only been testing since I have been in this flare and was wondering if these numbers are ok or if they could be the cause of my fatigue.

I hate to go to the doctor again to check this and was hoping that someone here may have some insight. Thank you.
  2. FOYBOYFOY

FOYBOYFOY New Member

HEY KATH
    IVE HAD GREAT BLOOD PRESSURE MY WHOLE LIFE TIL A FEW MONTHS AGO. I HAVE HAD HEADACHES AND DIZZYNESS , MY BP
    WAS 141/85, SO IM ON BP MEDICINE. JUST STARTED SO NOT SURE OF THE RESULTS........ THATS ALL I KNOW GOOD LUCK FOY
  3. darude

darude New Member

Mine is around 200/110 and then suddenly drops to around 115/65?????????????????????? They don't know why!!!!!
  4. Callum

Callum New Member

how they used to diagnose people with CFS. They would do a tilt test, and if your blood pressure dropped a significant amount while you were standing (it is supposed to the the opposite), and had a number of the other markers, you would receive your diagnosis.

Of course, the problem was is not everyone with CFS experiences this drop, and not everyone who does experience the drop in blood pressure measures enough for it to be considered "significant" enough for a diagnosis.

That was me. Mine would drop, about the same as yours, but it was deemed "insignificant", so it took me four more years to get a CFS diagnosis.

If you feel light-headed, sit back down. The blood pressure you listed isn't low enough to be considered dangerous, but listen to your body!

Good luck.

Callum
  5. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi Kathleen,

Normal blood pressure is 110/70 or 120/80 and BP changes every few seconds never being the same each time you take it.

I suffer from High blood pressure and actually get light headed when it goes up. I have to take a beta blocker daily to control it which causes mine to stay very low.

Low BP is actually good on the heart because the heart is not having to work so hard at pumping the blood.

Only you know what is normal for your body but in my opinion both of those sound normal.

You could always call your doc to ask for a call back just to put your mind at ease.

I hope you feel better soon!
  6. MsE

MsE New Member

What about a big difference in the blod pressure in your two arms?
    My left arm averages 130/75 but the right one jumps to 145/85. Why? Which one is the true presssure?
  7. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

That is an intersting question and one for which I don't have an aswer to either.

Thank you all for your replies. I'm just trying to figure out the cause and effect. Is our BP symptomatic of CFS or is the CFS symptomatic of odd BPs? I will NEVER rest until I can figure out the cause of this DD! If it is because of crazy BP readings, then treating that should cure us? Right?

Now I know that we all have different problems (which are many)but if we can find the root of our indivdual illness, then life would be normal again, right?

I'm sorry, I'm getting VERY discouraged again as I've been like this for 4 weeks now and I thought I was well when I just enjoyed 1 and a halfe months of nrmalcy.

8. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

WOW....200/110! That's huge! I sure hope that your doc can soon figure out the cause of that drop!
  9. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Please forgive me for not answering each individual reply. It is impossible for me to remember the names of all the posters but know that I read each one and gained knowlege from it. So I must send a "blanket" thank you.

I might add that I know that my numbers are very good but just did not know if such a slight change could make any difference in my enregy level. Thanks again, guys! As usual, you came through for me!
  10. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

You are supposed to do a reading on the left arm. I learned this while having severe pre eclampsia where I had to check for myOB at home. Many, many med. offices takes the pressure reading on the right arm!
  11. MsE

MsE New Member

I had always thought the left arm was the one for blood pressure readings, but the last time I saw the doc, a couple of weeks ago, he said to always take the pressure that reads the higher of the two when I again called the descrepancy to his attention..

I immediately wondered why he never did it, and why all the drugstore and super market machines are set for the left arm, and why my home pressure cuff directs me to use the left arm. Whereas, the nurse often uses which ever arm is closest to where she is sitting. Duh.

It is a mystery to me.