BLOOD PRESSURE QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Annette2, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I had an appt. with my Family doctor. The nurse took my blood pressure, and it was fine. When he came in he wanted to check it again and it was on the high side. At my previous visit with him last month, it was high too. I have always had very low blood pressure. What could be causing this? I also am having horrible problems with being hot all the time. I am in menopause, but take hormones and black cohash. I feel either hot and clammy or cold and clammy. I'm absolutely miserable! Does anyone have any experience with the blood pressure and the hot spells? Thanks.
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I had an appt. with my Family doctor. The nurse took my blood pressure, and it was fine. When he came in he wanted to check it again and it was on the high side. At my previous visit with him last month, it was high too. I have always had very low blood pressure. What could be causing this? I also am having horrible problems with being hot all the time. I am in menopause, but take hormones and black cohash. I feel either hot and clammy or cold and clammy. I'm absolutely miserable! Does anyone have any experience with the blood pressure and the hot spells? Thanks.
  3. Coping

Coping New Member

and am on medication. I have been on medication for it for years. Mine was high on my last appointment but I was in a lot of pain. Pain will cause your blood pressure to increase. There have been times when merely being in the Dr.'s office made mine higher even though I don't feel nervous.
    I had a hysterectomy years ago and am sure I have gone through the change....So, I have tried to stop taking my Premarin. I feel great when I stop EXCEPT for the Hot Flashes. I cannot deal with the Hot Flashes and go right back on the Premarin. I tried the Black Cohash, some other chinese herbs and hormone cream. None of them worked for me like the Premarin does.
    Good Luck, I know I wasn't much help but at least you know you aren't alone.
    God Bless,
    Tricia
  4. Emmy1

Emmy1 New Member

Just read your post and had to stop and tell you that black cohosh raises blood pressure. I do not know if you know that. One has to be carefull when taking herbs, the amounts and how long one takes them. My granny was a well-known herbalist and that is one thing I remember her saying all the time, that people had to be cautious and careful with herbs.
    There is sage, for dealing with hot flashes and regulating one's temperature while going through the menopause, best to buy the sage leaves and make a tea, after a week (or less) you will definitely feel a great improvement with the hot flashes. After a week, take the tea only once a day and take it weak, then go off and if it comes back (the hot flashes) then do the same thing again.
    Never take any herbs longer than absolutely necessary.
    Hope this helps. Emmy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/27/2002]
  5. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Drop the Cohash! She's right on the button on that one.

I have good to low bp. It runs from 110/60 to 85/55, depending on what I'm doing, how I'm feeling, what I've eaten, etc.... When I go to the clinic and they take my bp there, it is ALWAYS 120/70. It's called "white coat" bp, meaning that it goes up at the clinic because I'm a tad stressed about being there. I can feel it go up too, so I bet that might be your problem when it goes up while at the clinic. Besides stopping the cohash, not drinking enough water will also cause your bp to go up.

Marilyn :)
  6. Tennessee

Tennessee New Member

i also usually have normal bp,from 110-70 to 120-80.here the last little bit it's been wierd,120-89,117-94,the bottom has been high but my doc dont seem concerned.i had to have a hysterectomy when i was 22 because of malignantcy,i am 37 now and think i may be goin thru early mp,not sure.the hot flashes suck,but i dont have them often.some of the symptoms i have sometimes im not sure if they're mp or ibs,fm and gerd.i don't take nothin for the flashes and do survive,is always safe to be cautious tho=)
  7. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Thanks for the info regarding black cohash. But my blood pressure was high even before I started taking black cohash. It may also be due to being in the doctor's office, but in the past it was always low when I had it taken in his office. I just don't know! I'm going to research black cohash and see what the story is. Thanks!
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

FMS has made me so hyper-reactive to everything that my blood pressure soars at the slightest upset, despite my being on medication for it. My experience with FMS has caused a "Pavlov's dog" type of reaction whenever I see a doctor! My blood pressure will read 124/80 at home, 140/84 at the doctor's office, and 200/110 if I am around a stupid, moron who makes me mad! This is called being a "hot reactor" and it can get you dead....one of the main reasons why I isolate myself too much....morons are not worth dying over, and they are everywhere. I really hope this hyper-reactivenes is not your problem. Years of meditation, and even drugs like xanax have not helped me with this...in fact, it continues to get worse. I hope you will fare better with it. Hugs,
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 08/29/2002]
  9. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I used that machine they have in the drugstore. The first time I took it it was 117/75. Then I did it again and it was 110 on top, and I don't remember the bottom. Maybe I do have that "white coat" thing. It's a big puzzlement to me. I appreciate all of your replies to me. Having FMS reminds me of that box with the holes and little pieces of wood in each hole. You take a little hammer and hit one piece of wood to go down, and 2 more pop up. We get rid of one symptom, and something else pops up. It seems like I can't win. Oy vey!!!!
  10. herblady

herblady New Member

i have high blood pressure. i'd rather use my herbs for it but my husband forbids it. two herbs that can help are hawthorne and motherwort. use a diuretic with them. if it's not too severe a problem, this can do the trick. cindi
  11. Allen

Allen Member

Okay, so us guys don't experience menopause...but I, like other Fibro folks, am cotinually "burning up" as if I have a high fever,,but when temp. is taken...its normal.
    Allen
  12. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I'll check out those two herbs. I'll let you know what happens!