Blood Smear?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jane32, Sep 7, 2006.

1. jane32

jane32 New Member

Anyone have one done?

My new dr. seems to think that I have some infection instead of CFS since I get the flu like clockwork every month. He got me right in with the best hematologist in the area next week. I am not getting my hopes up!

But was curious if anyone had this done and they saw anything?
    [This Message was Edited on 09/07/2006]
  2. Noahvale

Noahvale New Member

I had a blood smear when they checked to see why I was so fatigued, I had mono at the time. All they do is prick your finger and put it on a slide and add something to it to see if it test positive for mono. I knew in about 5 minutes are so. I not sure if this is what you are having done but it wasn't a big deal..and yes I had Mono at the time, it took me 6 weeks to get over it.

Take care, and God Bless]

Noahvale--kathy
  3. jane32

jane32 New Member

hmm. not sure. I had mono 10 yrs. ago. They said they take it from the vein and check for viruses from insects and such.
  4. Thistledown

Thistledown New Member

I am a trained clinical laboratory scientist, and I look at blood smears all the time. In viral infections, especially IM (infectious mono) the body makes more lymphocytes than neutrophils, causing what we call a "reverse differential" in IM we also see what we call "atypical" or "reactive" lymphocytes.

There are also different types of smears that are used to look for parasitic infestations (Babesia, trypanosomes, malaria). Some smears can be stained to look for characteristics of certain leukemias, though flow cytometry is more common now.

I am curious what your doctor is planning....
    [This Message was Edited on 09/08/2006]
  5. jane32

jane32 New Member

I was just curious to know if people had their blood checked this way and maybe they foudn soemthing instead of being stuck with the diagnosis of CFS. He is looking for some infectious reason I am sick with fevers and fatigue. Personally I don't think they will see anything but I guess you never know:)