BLOOD SUGAR FIBRO QUESTION???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Jan 1, 2007.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

I finally got my fasting blood test results back. My total cholesterol dropped by 12 points (yay!), must be all that steel cut oatmeal I've been eating. However, my HDL is a bit low and my LDL is a bit high. Darn.

My fasting blood sugar is still just a hair above normal, so the doc wants me to go talk to the diabetic counselors. Not sure I want to go, but I might. Maybe they'll have some new and different info for me, but I doubt it. sigh.

MY QUESTION IS:

I read somewhere that fibro-folks have a tendency to have Syndrome X, which includes decreased glucose sensitivity and high blood sugars.

Does anyone here know more about this? And what to do about it? I'm not having any luck with researching it.

Frankly, I find it just plain annoying that these silly numbers aren't falling into line the way they are supposed to!

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

Peace and Happy New Year,
    Beth.
  2. BethM

BethM New Member

maybe someone will reply??
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Sorry to say I've never heard of that but I do have some serious blood sugar problems suddenly.

I tested for diabetes and was dx borderline diabetic a few weeks ago.

That would be ok if it was my only problem but it isn't. My blood sugars are all over the place, from hour to hour and one day to the next. I haven't felt well in weeks now trying to deal with this.

I highly recommend going to talk to the diabetic councelors, I'd love to right now but we have no appts open until February and I suddenly find myself not knowing what to eat with each bite I take.

We're always warned about becoming diabetic but no one tells you how crappy it can be to have constant blood sugar problems. I say grab all the help you can get. It may help you to avoid what I'm going through right now.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  4. Catwhite

Catwhite New Member

I am trying to find a doctor to diagnose me with Fibro or not, but I sure had all the symptoms of it. I have been diabetic for about 1 year now and on the pill Metformin twice a day. I was in hospital in Nov for total left leg hip replacement. And was in for 15 days with rehab included. I had to be given insulin a few times during my stay, but that could have been from the stress of surgery and meds. Now I am back home recovering and haven't tested myself because of the cost of the test strips. Isn't it awful when the strips are way more costly then the medication. I get most of my medications free because of our income(I filed for SSDI in Nov 2004 and waiting for hearing now in Ohio).

I know this probably not much help to you but wanted to reply anyway.

Cathy
  5. OptimusUndead

OptimusUndead Member

I'm not sure what this could prove, because you can't distinguish blood sugar problems w/out at least having a 6 hour glucose tolerance test. your blood sugar could be totally different each time you have your blood drawn. if you really want to know, than go for the 6 hour. I know its a pain in the butt, but its more accurate.

I can bet that every person on here with fibro/cfs/m.e. has blood sugar problems mroe than they might know.

do you notice a spike or drop in blood sugar after you eat. (this could take place over about 1-4 hours) Especially after eating a large amount, or lots of carbs and refined sugar.

not sure if i just answered the wrong question, as your talking about cholesterol as well.. (ldl,hdl)
  6. BethM

BethM New Member

I think that maybe those of us with fibro have so many systems out of balance that many strange things happen with us. It's just disturbing to me that I'm seeing concrete signs of weirdness.

Oh, well. I have an appointment with the rheumatologist next week, and am waiting for an appointment with the diabetic nutritionist to be arranged.

Yes, I agree that the test strips for blood sugar testing are way too expensive. The manufacturers are very happy to give you their glucometers, and then charge lots of money for the test strips.

My doc hasn't suggested a 6 hour glucose tolerance test, but I've had two fasting blood sugar results come back slightly high, 6 months apart. Does need looking into, and I suspect if I could lose those 40 pounds that are hanging on, some of this would go away. Double sigh.

Anyway, I appreciate the support!

Peace,
    Beth.
  7. BethM

BethM New Member

thank you for the good advice. I'll look into the Zone books, see what they have to say. I read the original Zone diet book years ago when it first came out, but don't remember much of it.

I haven't been taking fish oil capsules, as I've had very bad experiences with 'fish burps' and reflux. It's been a long time since I've tried it, so maybe I'll give it another go. I used to eat ground flax seeds every day, but have moved away from that. I eat them only a few times a week, if that often. (I put them into the oats, when I remember.)

What form of chromium is best? Does it matter?

My goal is to avoid even a hint from the doctor about cholesterol or blood sugar meds, or blood pressure meds, either, for that matter.

You made a good point about meds interfering with blood sugar and cholesterol levels.

Peace,
    Beth.
  8. Dixie_Amazon

Dixie_Amazon Member

I just read about this in a local magazine:
    ==========================================

Clustered Chaos By Sal Mouk, CCN, DC, DNM

What is Metabolic Syndrome X? This is a phrase many people are starting to hear more and more. Syndrome X or MSX (metabolic syndrome x) is a term first coined by Gerald Reaven, MD who, while researching preventative methods for Heart Disease, used the term to describe the clustering of signs and symptoms of the precursors for Heart Disease and Diabetes. The phrase Syndrome X was first used in 1988, during the course of his research with the X representing the unknown. Today approximately 50-80 million Americans have the condition known as Metabolic Syndrome X.

Much progress has been made to reverse MSX in recent years and it is now known that there are many facets of MSX. In the past it was believed that a person who had MSX had to be morbidly or grossly obese. This is not the case. Many of the people who have MSX appear to be of average weight, with a "belly pouch" that they "can't get rid of". In the past the role that emotional and physical stress played in MSX was not fully researched, in recent years this has become known as one of the key elements in MSX, along with poor diet and lack of exercise.

How does a person GET MSX?
    MSX is known to start as Insulin Resistance. When the body is constantly given processed foods and carbohydrates (sugars) the cells become resistant to the hormone insulin that regulates blood sugar levels. In our American Diet, we over process our foods and eat many refined carbohydrates and things such as, bread, candy, cake, pie, etc. This hugely contributes to Insulin Resistance which is a pre-diabetic state. When the hormone Insulin is no longer able to enter the cell the actual number of insulin receptor sites on the cell will decrease. The end result for the body is irregular blood sugar levels. Some signs and symptoms that this may be happening are tiredness and fatigue, irritability, cravings, mood wings, shakiness and many others.

How can I tell if I have MSX and how can I reverse it?
    I call MSX "Clustered Chaos" because that is basically what is going on, metabolically speaking, in the body with MSX. Metabolic Syndrome X is a "clustering" of signs and symptoms that can be serious individually, but which are much more serious when found together.

A person who is experiencing 3 or more of the following may have MSX and should consult with a Healthcare provider:
    Insulin Resistance which is a pre-diabetic state, High Cholesterol (total) with Low HDL (good cholesterol) of 50 or lower, High Triglycerides, Fasting blood sugar greater than 86-90, low TSH and T3/T4 (thyroid), chronic fatigue, overweight tendencies, high blood pressure, depression, sleep disturbances, PMS, infertility, polycystic ovarian syndrome, fibromyalgia, prostate problems, joint pain, and many others.

MSX is not just a "diabetes" type of problem. A person with MSX may experience swelling, may not lose weight like others no matter what diets and exercises they try. They just can't seem to lose past a certain point. This is true even of a person who appears to be of normal weight. The person who appears to be of normal weight may need to lose just 5-10 lbs, lower their blood pressure and lower their total cholesterol, but they are not able to do it no matter how hard they try.

MSX when left unattended can be very serious and even life threatening. MSX can lead to such serious disorders as Heart Disease (including heart attacks or conditions requiring heart bypass surgeries), Strokes, Hypothyroidism and/or Diabetes to name a few.
    Tests will need to be run to determine if you have MSX please discuss them with your Healthcare team.

Diet and nutrition play a large roll in the stabilization and reversal of MSX.
    It may be necessary to see more than one type of practitioner to help you make a healthcare plan that may include some or all of the following: diet and lifestyle modifications, nutritional supplementation, medication, body work, exercise, stress reduction methods, proper sleep, and other factors that can help stabilize and reverse MSX.

MSX is growing rapidly in the US and other countries, as they are being introduced to more fast and processed foods. MSX is not limited to adults, more children are being diagnosed with adult onset type diabetes and heart conditions every day. If you suspect that you or someone you know may have MSX please contact a healthcare provider and urge them to do so as well.

Source: http://www.irismagazine.com/explore.cfm/inthisissue/articles/100023
  9. Dixie_Amazon

Dixie_Amazon Member

10. BethM

BethM New Member

Thanks, good article, very informative. A little scary, too, but in a good way, because after reading it and after talking to my doctor yesterday, I am determined to improve my health status.

Peace,
    Beth.
  11. northlights

northlights New Member

Hi Beth
    I basically have all of the symptoms of Syndrome X, but have been unofficially diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, and Chronic Myofascial Pain. I am also diabetic (just started using insulin a few weeks ago when the metformin stopped working).

I've been seeing a compounding pharmacist, who has prescribed a number of supplements which have really been helping my fatigue and pain. He explained to me that my main problem is "adrenal fatigue" which is probably just another name for Syndrome X. I've found quite a lot of info on the internet on adrenal fatigue, that is really interesting.

If you like doing research and reading, then this may help you broaden your search.

Wishing you peace and wellness
    north
  12. BethM

BethM New Member

Interesting that you mention adrenal fatigue. The problems with my blood test results first showed up last July, after about a year and a half of stress and disruption of my life. The second set of labs, done in December, were done after about 6 weeks of more settled time after we moved into our new house. (I am NEVER moving again...)

Hmmmm. I bet that after I recover from all that stress, and maybe if my adrenals can heal, that my unhappy blood test results will improve.

Interesting to think about, thank you. And yes, I will do some research on adrenal fatigue.

Do you have any good advice to manage this problem, from your experiences?

Peace,
    Beth.
  13. northlights

northlights New Member

Hi Beth
    According to my research, Adrenal fatigue / syndrome X are completely due to the effect of stress on the body. It completely makes sense that your results were skewed after moving house. Every time my husband and I move, we come close to divorce :)

From what I can gather, there are many many different types of stress that affect our bodies in different ways. Of course those of us that feel crappy most of the time are under even more stress than the general population.

So, the main thing is to reduce stress as much as you can. I've started asking for help when I need it, sleeping when I need to, have cut my hours at work, and have stopped seeing the toxic people in my life.

In addition, my new practitioner has recommended the following supplements:
    High potency B complex with Vitamin C (helps to ease stress)
    Omega 3 DEA:DHA 6:1 ratio - helps with pain
    Ortho Adapt - a combination of several herbs used to ease pain
    and most importantly: Magnesium glycinate - from 200 to 400mg every night to help with sleep.
    I've tried almost every therapy known to man to help with the pain and fatigue of fibro, but honestly nothing has worked better than this bunch of supplements, and eating a healthier diet.
    I've been trying to add more organic fruit and veggies into my diet and it really seems to help me feel better.

I never believed the natural approach would help, but I am so thankful that it has!!!

take care Beth!
    north
  14. BethM

BethM New Member

Thank you for your good advice. You are fortunate that you have a medical practitioner working with you who is willing to take a more wholistic approach.

I saw my PCP last week for a check-back on labs and meds. I mentioned that I have been taking milk thistle for liver support because of the meds I take. After a brief moment, in which I could see her deciding how to respond, all she said was that I am not to take more than 300mg per day. She did not quite roll her eyes. That made my decision NOT to tell her about the chiropractor I've started going to, and who is helping me.

I've also just started taking Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega fish oils. I was leary of fish oil in general, but no 'fish burps' yet with this one.

B Complex is a good idea, although I will look for a low potency version, from past experience.

I have trouble taking magnesium in any form, not sure if I want to try it again. It tends to completely disrupt my digestive system.

Ortho Adapt is new to me, I will look into it.

Thank you for your help, and I am so glad you have found some relief from fibro.

Peace,
    Beth.