Blood sugar

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by georgianewyork, May 11, 2006.

1. georgianewyork

georgianewyork New Member

I am curious how many are dealing with scary low blood sugar problems and how you address it?
    Thanks everyone!
    Georgia
  2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I have hypoglyemia, so i eat about every 2 to 3 hrs., just a small meal with complex carbs (veggies) and some protein.

i try to stay away from sugar, which is hard, I'm a carb junkie.:)

That usually helps, if I eat too many simple carbs or just over eat, that's when I have trouble again. Then it takes a few day's to get back on track.

best wishes,
    Claudia
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I have problems with hypoglycemia. I actually wake up early and have to eat then go back to sleep. It is a drag...

I have cut our sugar and caffeine hoping that would help. I still have the problem.

I wake up and eat cottage cheese (yuk) then try to go back to sleep. I actually get anxiety symptoms from the low blood sugar.

After I eat I feel much better. Later in the day, I get before I eat I am very sleepy. Once I eat, I feel fine again...
  4. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I have moderate hypoglycemia, but it is not usually a problem since I usually eat appropriately.

Last night I went to a graduation. Afterwards we had cake, punch, mints and nuts. The punch was really good, so I got a second cup on the way out. (Liquids are good, right?) I was surprised at how bad I felt by the time I got home. I had some toast and peanut butter.

When I went to take my ZMA before bedtime, I accidentally go one of my energy supplements instead. I didn’t discover that until this morning. Needless to say, I had a very bad night last night.
  5. i am dealing with low blood sugar.id like to share with you how i cope with it,im not sucsessful every time,but this is what i do to try and prevent that aweful thing that happens to me, where i just suddenly start trembling and feel like im going to faint.lying down imediately brings some relief.

1/ i always carry some sweets with me,eveywhere i go.i chose mint humbugs (im in the uk).i will suck one of these sweets roughly every hour or so,and it seems to top up my sugar level,and some times,not always,,it will let me recover more quickly from the trembling and fainty feeling.

2/have breakfast,never skip breakfast.i make myself eat even though i lost the hunger feeling.i only ever eat museli for breakfast.it helps with my irratable bowel problems..keeps me regular.

3/do watch the clock and never go longer that 4 to 6 hours between meals.if i go without food for longer than that time,i definately will collapse with the low blood sugar.

this isnt a cure for the low blood sugar,its just a way that i find helps me myself.as i said it doesnt work every time,but im very happy with my results, especially as i hate passing out while out doors,and then people rush round me to help me.they cant help can they..i have fibromyalgia and have had to learn how to cope with its many curses.

love fran
  6. Jennyflower33

Jennyflower33 New Member

its def best to avoid ALL SUGAR. And all refined foods - no white rice, bread, pasta etc. Eat protein and fat with each meal. U can get sugarless protein bars.

Good snacks are nuts, cheese, protein bars, sardines or houmous on wholewheat crackers just to name a few.

if u dont notice improvement the diet can b even stricter - as in only protein, fat and the only carbs allowed are those found in veg and salad (and only certain veg and salad too!) - that is harsh and i have been unable to follow this diet...i am thinking i shud tho becoz i might have severe hypoglycemia and not CFS....at this point its very hard to say....
  7. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Eating only makes me feel better if I eat small and right. Big meals or carb-based meals bring on the intense overwhelming fatigue feeling.

Sugar just makes me sick - dizzy etc. The candy thing works temporarily but ultimately can make things worse.

A protein snack like Jenny mentioned will have a better over-all effect. And I have my snacks every 1-2 hours to prevent the crash from happening.

It is a constant battle. We all give in to temptation once in a while and we usually regret it. I have gotten to where I can turn down foods I love just because I hate how they make me feel.

Blessings,

Sofi
  8. georgianewyork

georgianewyork New Member

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all advice.
    You are the best!