Blood Test--Low CK result

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CFIDSNicole, Jun 5, 2005.

1. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

I had this test done last fall (among several others), and my CK (creatine kinase) result was <20 when the normal result was 30-135. My doctor was happy because if it had been high, it would have indicated a high level of muscle damage like with heart problems or muscular dystrophy. She said she couldn't find any info on what it could mean if it was a low result, so it must not be significant.

Well, I have searched the net and haven't found anything about a low result, either, but it bothers me. My doc said, well, maybe it just means you don't have much muscle mass--well, I used to have a very decent amount because I worked out and lifted weights; when I started getting sick, I noticed that when I worked out lifting weights, I wasn't getting the response I normally get (i.e. increase in strength and muscle mass and tone and definition). It was like my muscles were broken.

Does anyone know what a low CK might mean?

Thanks,
    Nicole
  2. QuilterB

QuilterB New Member

Dear Nicole,
    I worked in a clinical chemistry laboratory for many years as a medical technologist. Included in some of that work was research on enzyme levels -- normal value studies, CK & its' isoenzyme components in muscle tissue, etc -- and I'm not aware of any known significance to low levels. Your doctor's suggestion of possible low muscle mass might be right, but even there, I'm not aware of any research to substantiate that. The opposite can be true; i.e., people with large muscle mass sometimes have "elevated" CK levels in the absence of any pathology. This particular enzyme falls into a category where an individual's own "normal" is more relevant than the "normal range" given for a population. So if you had previous results it might be interesting to see if your values have dropped...

Hope this is helpful --
    QuilterB
  3. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

Thank you! Your professional expertise was really helpful--I'm glad my doctor wasn't just saying that because she was too lazy to find out what was going on. I will stop worrying about it then--unfortunately I don't have any previous tests for it, but I'll keep my eye on any future tests.

I really, really appreciate it!
    Nicole
  4. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

then why do they sell supplements???? I was just thinking about ordering some - I guess I'll ask my doc first.
  5. QuilterB

QuilterB New Member

JBennett,

CK = creatine kinase, an enzyme which acts on the protein Creatine.

Partial answer to your question?
    QuilterB
  6. shoot4thestrz

shoot4thestrz New Member

Hi there,
    I too am looking to find out more info on low CK levels from my blood test. I did a blood test along with a cardio and oxygen uptake test. They expected my test to come back high, but they came back low. I am being scheduled for a muscle biopsy and have been told I have some form of McArdle's Disease, very rare, but I think only because it goes undiagnosed. You might want to check into this. I have had it since I was a kid, but there people who get the adult onset version of it. Let me know if you find out anything else about it. Sherri
    shoot4thestrz@yahoo.com