Blood test results back comments please?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JoFMS, Sep 11, 2008.

1. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

Hi All,

I had my last set of blood test results back today and they are as follows:

Iron 19.3 Ref 9-30.4 umol/l
    Transferrin 2.4 Ref 2.5-3.8 g/l
    % saturation 32.2 Ref 15-50 %
    Ferritin 69 Ref 10-120 ng/ml
    Vitamin B12 1111 Ref 145-637 pmol/l

The vitamin B12 - I have been using a B12 sublingual spray supplement but didn't use the day of the test. Anyone know why that could be high?

TSH 3.52 Ref 0.27-4.20 mIU/l
    Free T4 16 Ref 12-22 pmol/l
    Free T3 5.5 Ref 3.2-6.8 pmol/l

Antithyroglobuin <10 Ref <116 IU/ml
    Antithyroid Peroxidase <5 Ref 35 IU/ml

Oestradiol 866 pmol/l
    Progesterone 5.9 pmol/l

Thanks for any comments!
  2. jess

jess New Member

Hi, these numbers look pretty good. My Dr. told me that anyone who takes any kind of b12 supplement will have high b12 levels. My numbers for b12 were really high. In fact, both my Drs. said the same thing. They said not to worry . Jess
  3. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

Although your TSH is what is considered normal at the lab where your blood was tested, it is not what I call healthy normal.

In the US, over 3. is now considered hypothyroid. After much research I found that 1. or slightly under is a healthy TSH number.

Your doctor will just consider that everything is normal. The other thyroid figures look OK, although I believe that people feel better when their free t3 and t4 are in the higher normal range.

If you have hypothyroid symptoms you probably should look for an alternative doctor who can treat the problem.

Good luck

4. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

Thanks for the comments, I had my thyroid tested before but not with the T3 so I had them done again. Yes I agree optimal TSH should be about 1.

I am treating my adrenals first (I'm in stage 5 adrenal fatigue) so I don't cause them to get worse by taking thryoid hormone but after that then I will work on thyroid.

Vitamin D - I haven't had tested, it wasn't on the lab sheet so will have to see about that test. I know there's been a lot about it on here lately. I take 400IU Vit D3 in a vit supplement but prob need more. I also ensure I sit out in the sun for at least an hr per day where I can.

I'm glad my iron etc is ok as I am vegetarian (have been my whle life) and so many people nag me to say I'm prob anaemic.

I wasn't sure with the B12 how long before the test you shouldn't take it so I stopped the day before so I guess it may be a false reading?

[This Message was Edited on 09/14/2008]
  5. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

and actually , anyone looking for lab test result information.

Here is a site where I have found some help.

I hope it is OK to list it like this !

6. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

Thanks for your replies.

I forwarded my results to someone on the mercury chelation group who has been advising me and is also a physio and got himself well. He said the following:

"It is suggestive that you might need some mild thyoid support as your body has a highish TSH asking for more thyroid.

If your temperatures are 37 degrees on average (between 9 and 3pm) then the best option would be Thyroid Cytrotrophin.

T4 should be in the upper 1/3 of the range and T3 in the upper 1/4.
    Lifting your T4 can be done with the Thyroid Cytoptrohin, which would be better than hormones, but you might also if that does not work try a Dessicated Thyroid (1/4 grain or more).
    Again, if your temps are 37 then don't go the hormone route, but check your signs and symptoms for surity."

The one problem is - I am vegetarian and although I have thought about taking armour and the thyroid cytotropham - they both include animal parts so am looking for an alternative.

My body temps are now 37C plus since I have been treating my adrenals with cortisol and pregnelonone which is great and they do say that thyroid can correct itself if the adrenals are treated (if that was the problem).

I think I will hold off on any animal products unless I get really desperate as I have been veggie my whole life. I also know I should go onto a from of iodine - have taken in past but trying to avoid kelp (due to mercury content)and get detoxified iodine but not eaasy in South Africa!

Jamin - I eat lots of spinach, lentils, beetroot, beans etc to keep my iron levels up - I don't really have to think about it though which is good as I've never eaten meat.
  7. zoster

zoster New Member

Hi jofms,

I too was veggie before ME/CFS - I started to eat meat after the diagnosis to give myself the best chance (a difficult decision).

I didn't do any better eating meat but it turns out I appear to have low stomach acid and problems digesting protein. I had my amino acids tested a few months back and nearly all of them were too low. They are important for detoxification so might be worth getting them looked at?

Strangely I recovered to about 95% while still veggie but then went downhill.

Also, my Iron levels have been out of normal range high! I don't take any iron supps but I think our water is high in iron where I live.

Best wishes
  8. deliarose

deliarose New Member

Hi gals & guys.

This issue of high SERUM B12 came up recently on the CFS Yasko list.

I've cut and paste a post from Rich Van Konyenburg where he explains why PWCs often have high normal or v. high B12 in the blood, and why this can be misleading.

He says conventional testing is not sophisticated enof and you have to run the tests from specialty labs that look at markers of B12 and folate in the cells. (I think they're cellular markers... but at the very least they're functional markers.)

Now we come to the subject of blood serum testing for B12 and folic acid. As has been discussed, in many cases of CFS, one finds from such testing that the levels of B12 and folic acid look just fine, and often are over the top of the normal ranges. However, these high values do not mean that the cells of the body are actually benefiting
    from effective use of B12 and folate.

Here's why: First, these measurements are made in the blood serum, which is outside the cells. In a normally operating body, the levels outside the cells reflect what's going on inside the cells. However, that isn't true in CFS, which is far from normal. In the case of folate, there is a phenomenon known as the "folate trap." This means that when the utilization of the bioactive form of folate (5-methytetrahydrofolate) is blocked inside the cells, this form of folate builds up and leaks out of the cells, producing a high level in the blood serum. But the
    cells themselves become impoverished in folate. Second, and this is important for B12, the serum B12 measurement does not distinguish the bioactive forms of B12, of which there are two: methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin, from other cobalamins. The former is the one that is important for the methylation cycle. It is very possible to have a high total B12 level in the blood serum, but not have sufficient
    methylcobalamin to operate the methylation cycle at a normal rate. In order to determine whether B12 is being used effectively, it is best to evaluate methylmalonate in the urine, using a urine organic acids test, such as a Genova Diagnostics MAP. If methylmalonate is high,
    it is very likely that methylcobalamin is low. And the Figlu on this profile will tell you how the folate is doing inside the cells.

It is of course up to you what you want to do, but my guess is that the $300 you would spend on the Vitamin Diagostics methylation panel (or, I think, a lesser amount for the Genova Diagnostics Metabolic Analysis Profile) would turn out to be one of the best investments you will have made.