Blood tests anyone know what these mean please?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Diva55, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Hi
    I gave a list of tests I wanted to have done to my dr.(thanks to everyone on the board who gave me input for those). He said he wouldn't consider them until I had some blood tests done.

I presume because I've been taking herbal supplements recently that he wants to see how these affect my blood.

I've recently had the scary "heart attacks" pains & he has booked me in for an ECG. I've also had continuing fierce pains in my spleen and liver areas so I guess that explains him looking at Liver function.

But I forgot to ask him what the acronymns are.

Does anyone know what they mean and what they are testing for:
    Amylase, CRP, ESR, FBC, Liver function tests, Urea & electrolytes.

Many thanks for any help

2. lnw3602

lnw3602 New Member

Here is a site that has much of what you want I think.

labtestsonline.org

If I didn't copy it correctly, just look up lat tests on the net.

Laura-Nell
  3. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

ESR - sedimentation rate (indicates if you have inflammation)

CRP - Also looking for inflammation and risk of cardiac issues.

Amylase - I believe it's for amylase in the blood - checks kidney, pancreatic function.

FBC - complete blood count

Hope this helps some.

Sofi
  4. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Wow what quick replies!

Thank you to both of you for great information. Really appreciated.

5. Catseye

Catseye Member

Amylase is a digestive enzyme put out by the pancreas. They want to make sure the pancreas is functioning and not "eating itself" and spilling it's enzymes into the blood. There may be other things it may indicate besides pancreatitis, I'm not sure.

liver function tests - they are checking levels of liver enzymes. It's kind of the same as the pancreas: if your liver cells are dying, the enzymes spill into the blood, indicating liver damage is happening right now.

urea - to make sure your body is converting ammonia, very toxic, into urea for elimination

electrolytes - magnesium, potassium and calcium, salts in your blood responsible for a regular heartbeat. I kept having heart irregularities and all these tests and others were normal. I finally determined I was low on minerals and electrolytes and as soon as I started supplementing with them,
    my heart issues stopped immediately.

CRP - c reactive protein, measure concentration of a protein produced in the liver that is present during acute inflammation or infection.

ESR - erythrocyte sedimentation rate, also looking for inflammation

FBC - full blood count, measure hemoglobin, number and volume of red blood cells, number of white cells, platelets

good luck!

karen
  6. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Hi Karen
    Thank you for going into that detail – in the layman’s terms I can understand!

I’ve been addressing my electrolytes with Recuperation & have been very happy with the amount of pain management it provides. I have been thinking of upping my intake of magnesium recently but will wait till I get the tests back.

Did you take anything other than - magnesium, potassium and calcium, salts to help with the heart issues?

I know that these false “heart attacks” are part & parcel of FM but they are scary & getting worse which is why I insisted on an ECG.

The burning pains in my spleen & liver are new to me though and also keep me awake at night! I’m glad the tests seem to be focussing on those organs. You never know with doctors – they sometimes don’t listen and just book you in for generic tests.

Many thanks again – much appreciated
  7. Catseye

Catseye Member

I take a chelated mineral supplement Kreb's Cycle Chelates - it's supposed to be for heart health and it's very easily absorbed. And also Teitelbaum's Daily Energy Enfusion and Prohealth's Amino Acid Complex. These are my most important things along with the mitochondria fuel.

This is the mineral supp ingredient list:

alcium (as CFMSA chelate) 600.00 mg 60%

Iron (as CFMSA chelate) 5.00 mg 28%

Iodine (from marine organic minerals) 100.00 mcg 67%

Magnesium (as CFMSA chelate) 400.00 mg 100%

Zinc (as CFMSA chelate) 15.00 mg 100%

Selenium (as CFMSA chelate) 75.00 mcg 107%

Copper (as CFMSA chelate) 1.00 mg 50%

Manganese (as CFMSA chelate) 2.00 mg 100%

Chromium (as CFMSA chelate) 100.00 mcg 83%

Molybdenum (as CFMSA chelate) 25.00 mcg 33%

Sodium 10.00 mg <1%

Potassium (as CFMSA chelate) 100.00 mg 3%

Boron (as CFMSA chelate) 4.00 mg *

Vanadium (as CFMSA chelate) 50.00 mcg

You can start going easy on your liver by changing your diet. I got terrible feelings in my chest from consuming dairy; it only bothered me after I came down with cfs. And wheat started bothering me, too. Check out this site for diet recommendations:

healingdaily.com

I pretty much treated myself for liver problems with a liver friendly diet (lost of veggies) and a few different liver cleanse pills.

You may want to read this article about mitochondria (cell engines, make our basic energy, ATP), it's called Heart Disease Secondary to Mitochondrial Malfunction. It has been a life saver for me. I use these supps to prevent crashes now:

http://www.cfids-cab.org/MESA/DrMyhill-373.pdf

And look at this one by Cheney about heart function in cfs patients - this is what stopped the heart palps and such:

http://cheneyoncfids.blogspot.com/2006/05/cardiomyopathy.html

It's pretty sad how Dr. Cheney, cfs expert, is allowed to tell us about these substances but our regular doctors aren't able to. At least he's nice enough to make them avaiable online.

best wishes,

karen

also, maybe consider taking milk thistle for the liver if you aren't already[This Message was Edited on 01/28/2007]
  8. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Hi Karen
    Thank you for all that great info. I shall check it all out.

I've only been able to eat anything good in the last few months since withdrawing from Lyrica. I eat veggies only when I have a meal. I also juice fruit & vegetables daily & mix with spirulina & aloe vera.

I do eat a little dairy (milk in coffee & very occasionally toast & butter) but it doesn't seem to bug me. I need to cut down on coffee as I'm addicted.

I've started taking probiotics as my stomach is a mess.

I'll wait till I get the results of my liver test before thinking of milk thistle but it's on my list.

I take Recuperation which helps a lot with the pain and has made withdrawing from Lyrica easier.

I've now forgotten what I was going to write!!

So again thank you for your gret advice - more for me to research when I get some "clear thought" time!

Regards
  9. Catseye

Catseye Member

And you don't necessarily feel bad right when you eat it. It's sort of a "cumulative effect" thing. Just a little bit of butter on veggies and no other dairy was enough to keep me bedridden. I didn't realize it until I tried stopping the butter just for the hect of it and I felt much better. Maybe try no dairy for 2 weeks, that should be enough for you to know for sure.

good luck with everything,

karen
  10. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Thanks your for advice Karen.

As I haven't been able to eat anything much for 2 years until recently, I'm grateful to keep anything down!

When my system has settled down enough I shall look into the diet exclusions but for the moment I'll have to go with whatever I can tolerate as my system is so weak with lack of food.

Best wishes