blood work back I have questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by momof27, Apr 2, 2008.

1. momof27

momof27 New Member

my histadine was low - 68 -

my b- alanine is -0-

my phenylalanine is high - 85 -

I don't understand any of it I looked on the web and it said if my phenylalanine is high its called pku and that's bad

anyone know I couldn't get the doc. to call back two days now.

This was amino acids, fractionated, plasma test
    [This Message was Edited on 04/02/2008]
  2. spacee

spacee Member

Why did the doc order it? What symptoms?

Spacee
  3. momof27

momof27 New Member

I have no idea about all this stuff

what is phenylalanine, and if 85 is high does any one know why?

4. woofmom

woofmom New Member

This is the same poisonous excitotoxin that is in aspartame. And you don't have to have PKU for it to affect you.
  5. momof27

momof27 New Member

I don't like the high level can you tell me more

I don't use anything with aspartame in it

6. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

My doctors, two in two different states told me that if my PKU came back high they would put me on 2 mg pednisone a day. It has something to do with a certain type of inflamation I think. It can be heriditary. Mine came back o.k.

If untreated I think in can cause mental problems.

Maybe someone else can tell you.
  7. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

all infants are tested for PKU at birth, meaning their ability to metabolize PKU, before this, alot of kids developed mental retardation due to dietary reasons as they grew up, since it accumulated in their brains.

now they test, and if the test is positive (infrequent), parents are given strict dietary guidelines to avoid, and now most all foods list the content of the phenylalanine so these parents can avoid it in kiddos diets, and now that the kids grow up and become healthy adults, they can learn to avoid also.

if you look at labels, you can see that you prob. eat alot of high "PKU"(phenylalanine) foods, so have a high level, so if you WANT to avoid it, should be easy, as i am sure the diets for "PKU" avoidance are posted all over the web and also listed on most food labels.

it is just not IMPERATIVE that you avoid this as it is a child with "PKU", but is your choice.---L
  8. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Phenylalanine is in more than diet sodas. It is also in all chewing gum. The labelling is so small that you need a magnifying glass in order to read the ingredients. It is also used in other products. It is always important to read every label. It is also very important to ask your pharmacist if it is in ANY medicine you are prescribed. Phenylalanine in foods that Mother Nature provides is balanced. When Phenylaline is isolated and doesn't have the other substances that Nature provides for balance is when it is dangerous.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/03/2008]
  9. woofmom

woofmom New Member

You may want to read up on tetrahydrobiopterin. I've read that some with high phenylalanine are helped by this.