BLOOD WORK: Monoclonal gammopathies, IgG deficiencies, CFIDs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cristine04, Jan 25, 2007.

1. cristine04

cristine04 New Member

Anyone have these?

Did you also have IgG deficiencies??

Some can have an "m-spike of unknown significance" although increasingly many studies show that this kind of result can show subliminal immune problems that are treatable w/ immune therapies.

Thanks guys!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/26/2007]
  2. dobrydy

dobrydy New Member

Just want to make sure this is a benign condition though.. Monoclonal gammaglobulin can be a hallmark of multiple myeloma, but in this case it is ususally associated with Bence Jones paraproteins in urine. Just want to rule out the serious one..
  3. u34rb

u34rb New Member

About 11 years ago, as part of an infectious diseases work-up, I was found to have an “abnormal band in the gamma region” which was an “IgG kappa band occupying the whole gamma globulin region”. Bence-Jones protein was found in my urine. A bone marrow aspiration was inconclusive. Subsequently, my urine tested negative for Bence-Jones protein. I got an abdominal CT scan, which ruled out lymphoma.

I have been monitored annually since and my IgG level has reduced to and remained in the reference range. I was diagnosed as having a MGUS, (Monoclonal Gammopathy of Undetermined Significance). The differential diagnosis is multiple myeloma, if the IgG is abnormally high and other tests like of bone marrow are positive. But this is a mixed blessing because it would reveal an early stage cancer before it would otherwise be apparent. So the best possible prognosis could be achieved.

So I’m very interested in any link to my chronic fatigue and pain, and undiagnosed FM.
  4. cristine04

cristine04 New Member

They are wondering if I have an IgG subclass deficiency b/c of chronic infections and severe muscle myalgias, loss of energy (5-10%), etc.

I had this test and my doctor said it can be a sign of IgG deficiency so I'm getting tested for it.

The treatment is IVIG.

Thanks for your input!
  5. u34rb

u34rb New Member

cristine04,

So you have less than the reference range for IgG. But do you know why you should have an IgG at all? Is it because of chronic infection(s)? I suppose that you have had a positive result?

I've heard of Ig therapy, not just IgG, now I can see what it's for.
  6. cristine04

cristine04 New Member

Hi there,

If you have low IgG titers (really low) plus you catch tons of infections (of the same nature) red flags go up b/c the IgG is like the "memory" of the immune system. It is a titer to represent past infections. The proteins latch onto the viruses, bacteria, etc and kill it b/c the immune system recognizes it from a past illness.

I a getting tested for subclass deficiencies very soon. And apparently the M-spike can signal a potential sub-class deficiency.

I had extremely depressed IgA via saliva. I also had a endoscopy which showed major damage to the villi in my small intestine. I also had a very poor response to the flu vaccine-I may have never seroconverted which may have left my immune system chronically upregulated. This combined w/ the fact that I catch TONS OF infections and literally have to mask up to go out now shows that my immune system is not working properly.

You can get a quantitative analysis of antibodies (IgA, IgM, IgG, IgE, etc) and then you can also get a SUBCLASS test done. This is more specific and will measure the 4 subsets of each antibody to make sure you are not overproducing in one and underproducing in another.

I hope this helps to answer some of your questions.