Blow by blow account of my findings on Mirapex day 3

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by charlie21, Oct 11, 2006.

1. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

Well it is now day three of taking Mirapexin (U.K) or Mirapex in (U.S.A.). I am on 0.088 mgs 3 times a day. I felt so good when I woke up this morning, that I had 45 minutes extra time before I went to work. Normally I wake up aching, and ache more the longer I lay in bed. The pain was reduced I would say by a good 50%. I had very subtle muscle spasms, and nothing like they normally are, in fact during the day at work, they were very suble then, mainly in my upper arms and legs. Slept from 10.00 p.m. to 6.45 a.m., only waking briefly to look at the time at 1.30 a.m., normally if that happened, I would be up and about, counting the hours until the morning but I went back to sleep. I woke up feeling in good spirits, and refreshed, which as we all know, sleep is a big problem, and the fatigue from the bad night catches up on us during the day. The side-effect seems to be my balance is slightly out of sink. Have been suffering from pins and needles in my arms, they seem to have reduced a bit as well. You can feel slightly more sleepier as you get through each pill, is definately accumulative, but you don't feel really spaced out, just gently relaxed. Tonight will be my third night, and I hope I sleep well again. Well I can assure you that I am not on any commission or anything like that, just your everyday person, and I am not trying to promote the drug, just merely trying to help my friends. I must admit, that I have not tried a lot of medications, so the rot hasn't set in when the drugs don't always do what we want them to do, and realise you may think "not another promise of a cure" and I am sorry if anyone may feel that way. But I have been honest about every sympoms I have felt in these three days, and hope it has been of interest to you all. Fibrohugs Charlie Please see my other posts from day one.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/12/2006]
  2. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

Symptom Improvements with Parkinson's Drug Mirapex Found in Fibromyalgia Trial
    ChronicFatiguesupport.com

Study on Pramipexole Also Reports Significant Weight Loss
    SAN ANTONIO, Oct. 18 /PRNewswire/ -- The dopamine agonist pramipexole, (Mirapex (R), Boehringer-Ingelheim) currently indicated by the FDA for treatment of Parkinson's disease, provides a high response rate of overall fibromyalgia (FM) symptom improvements, as well as promoting significant weight loss, according to data to be presented in a late breaking abstract on Thursday, October 21, at 9:45 am, Ballroom A, at the American College of Rheumatology Annual Scientific Meeting, the National Fibromyalgia Association (NFA) announced today.

The double-blind Randomized Placebo Controlled 14-week trial to treat fibromyalgia with pramipexole, was conducted by Andrew Holman, MD, a rheumatologist in private practice in Renton, Washington and a member of the advisory board of the National Fibromyalgia Association.

Holman privately funded this research for people with fibromyalgia (FM) when his own FM patients experienced pain reduction with the use of the drug.

Holman reports that 56 out of 60 patients completed the trial which set out to evaluate the effectiveness and safety of dopamine agonist pramipexole in patients with fibromyalgia. 42% of patients treated with pramipexole achieved greater than or equal to 50% decreased pain compared to 14% of patients taking placebo.

"This may be the highest response of overall improvement of fibromyalgia symptoms of any single medication tested so far," noted Holman.

Patients also reported substantial improvements in function and fatigue. The most statistically significant side effect was weight loss. Whereas many patients with fibromyalgia and other chronic illnesses often report weight increase in part from use of medications, one third of the participants taking pramipexole lost between 5 to 35 pounds during the 14-week period, according to Holman.

"Dr. Holman's study suggests new options for research in the treatment of fibromyalgia," said Lynne Matallana, president and founder of the National Fibromyalgia Association. "This will provide significant hope for patients searching for ways to effectively manage the chronic pain of this severe disorder."

Currently, there are no medications approved for the treatment of fibromyalgia, a complex chronic pain illness affecting 6 to 10 million people that can lead to significant patient disability. Patients with fibromyalgia suffer from a variety of symptoms ranging from stiffness, muscle spasms and body wide pain, fatigue and severe sleep disturbances.

Andrew Holman, M.D., is assistant clinical professor of medicine at the University of Washington in Seattle, and president-elect of the Northwest Rheumatism Society.

The National Fibromyalgia Association (NFA) is a nonprofit [501 (c (3)] organization whose mission is to develop and execute programs dedicated to improving the quality of life for people with fibromyalgia. The NFA produces educational materials, sponsors CME and patient conferences, hosts a web site

(www.FMaware.org), and publishes Fibromyalgia AWARE, the only consumer magazine on fibromyalgia, chronic pain and other invisible illnesses.

For more information about the National Fibromyalgia Association, visit the NFA's website at www.FMaware.org.

SOURCE: National Fibromyalgia Association, via PR Newswire

3. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

Hello Hayley, hope you are feeling a bit better now. If anything, I have felt hungrier lately, but that could be due to it starting to get cooler in the U.K., however, I have not put any weight on considering. I did not dream at all last night, and think I was in a deep sleep, as felt quite refreshed when I woke up. It was only the first time I took Mirapex that evening, which was my worst night, with the dreams, but I was a little bit stressed I think as to what to expect from this drug also. Unfortunately I work full-time, and there is no room for napping where I work. As I have said in one of my other posts, the drug effects are accumulative, not too sedating, but gentle and you can function. By the time you take the third one in the evening, you are home most likely anyway, so it doesn't matter if you feel slightly more sleepy then. I am taking mine 3 hours before I go to bed, is that what you are doing, as that is what it says on the instructions. Can I ask do your legs wobble sometimes. Do you feel ever so slightly dizzy on them, other than that I think I have tolorated them quite well. Charlie
  4. webintrig

webintrig New Member

went away. I was having some there for a while but not near as bad now. Sometimes not at all.

I am all for the appetite pick up symptom.

Yeah has the making of an adventure!

Praying for continual sucess in this drug for you!

Soft hugs,
  5. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I have been following your posts and am so happy that you are doing well with your Mirapex. I am going to recommend this for my SIL who has similar issues.

It's always refreshing to hear that something is working for someone. Please continue with the updates.
  6. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

Hello there, I have noticed a lot of people who have been put on mirapex, don't seem to be on it three times a day, some two times, and some only one. It does say in the leaflet and on the internet, to start slowly and take it three times a day, and the evening dose three hours before you go to bed, it even shows you the increments it should be given in. I cannot see how once a day is going to do anything really. Then there are some people who are on a higher dose to start with, no wonder people are frightened to take it. I am on on the lowest dose, and I can feel when my tablet is beginning to lose its effect slightly before the next one is due. I believe this is how it should be done, which then in turn means it can be increased still very slowly, until I am not waiting to take the next one. I wonder whether some doctors just give he higher dose as a shortcut, that way they don't have to see you every 2 to 4 weeks to increase it if need be. If this is the case, it is irresponsible. Even though I am on the lowest dose three times a day, I do feel the effects, but not too worry some, so god knows what it must feel like to some of those poor people being put on the higher dose to start with. It appears to be a good drug, and it is a shame that people are coming off it so quickly because the quantity they are being prescribed. Please stick with it though when you first start taking, my first time wasn't great, but after that I have had two really good days with hardly any pain or muscle spasms. You will feel a little tired on in though, but should be able to function. Charlie
  7. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

Well woke up this morning. No muscle stiffness, still a bit tired. Had slight restless legs when I first got into bed, but I took my tablet 2 hours before I got into bed and not three hour before bed. Restless legs/muscle spasms nowhere near as bad, and lasted about 10 mins. Fell asleep soon after, did wake up a few time last night though, but not for long. I think it was my cat to be honest, who likes to pinch my pillow, or else I think I would have slept right through. My legs and arms have slight muscle spasms, but no pain. My next dose of Mirapex is due at 9.00 a.m. when I am at work, and feel I would like to take it now. This is why I am so glad I am on the lower dose, because when I see my doctor next, I can tell him this, and he will probably increase the dose slightly. It seriously is working. I still feel slightly uncoordinated on my feet (subtle), but this is one of the side-effects I think, as I have been like that since I have been on them, but believe me I would rather feel slightly unsteady on my feet rather than have to put up with pain,muscle spasms and restless legs like I have. Well this evening I will be starting on day 4 when I come home from work, I hope I have perhaps restored your faith in this drug. Charlie
    [This Message was Edited on 10/11/2006]
  8. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

9. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

Hello there. Please read my latest post called mirapex USA mirapexin UK day 7 astonishing stuff - long reading. This will probably be my final post on my findings until I see my doctor next week, as I want it increased slightly. Everything seems to have settled now, apart from the slightly off balance feeling I get now and then you know the whoozy time feeling, but can function. No other side effects. I don't need the diazepam (valium) anymore, but still take the tramacet, because it also helps with FM, but I also have a bit of back trouble. I plan to eventually see as a matter of interest if I can just take the Mirapex without the rest of my drugs. Another experiment on the way soon. Anyway my post today should be able to tell you everything, and I hope you find it useful. May be worth showing your doctor, and I am supported by a Consultant Psychiatrist who I have worked for for 4 year now. Fibrohugs Charlie
  10. homesheba

homesheba New Member

am so glad it is wking for you
    as my dr also put me on 3 mgs a day.
    so far i can only tolerate img cause it makes me so sleepy.:)
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm glad you are doing well and hope it continues to improve your symptoms. Keep the updates coming.

Love, Mikie