BLT , anyone ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BILLCAMO, Aug 26, 2008.

BILLCAMO New Member

I put a pic in my profile for 1/3 of a BLT.

They aren't very big , but , very tasty.

Species : Early Girl , Cherry , and Sun Gold.

I have some Beefsteaks getting close and I will change the pic when they are ripe.

Enjoy !

Blessings ,

2. sisland

sisland New Member

Wow nice photo of your tomatoes!,,,,Add another BLT to your order pad!,,,,,,,My tomatoes are plentiful but not ripe yet,,,,,can't wait!,,,,,,,S
  3. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Homegrown tomatoes are my all time favorite snack. I like them room temperature with salt and pepper just like an apple.

It also brings back fond memories of me and my grandpa walking hand in hand down to his garden with his salt and pepper shaker. We would pick them and eat them right there and then.

Boy, those were the days.

Thanks for bringing back my memories for me.

4. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Your tomatoes are looking great. I just had a few Roma's that were ripe but the beefsteak are looking fabulous. When all my tomatoes are ripe I'm gonna try the oven canning recipe.
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

My neighbor brought me a big bag of large tomatoes which I shared with the people at work. He also brought a slightly smaller bag of cherry tomatoes.

It's a good thing I took half the cherry tomatoes to work, to, because I've eaten so many the roof of my mouth is sore! I just ate the last of them at lunch. Hope Gonzo has another harvest in a day or so. (He also grew the most wonderful cants I've ever had!)

It must be a tomato summer here in sunny Washington!

6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Nice pic. Toss a couple my way.

Gordon got a tomato catalog a couple years ago. It had hundreds of different varieties for sale.

Just a T sandwich is good too. Plain or w/ oil, vinegar, however you like.

There was an article about tomato sandwiches in the LA Times a couple years ago. It was several inches long, but the 2 sentences above are a sufficient summary.

Those food writers are so pretentious. "Dinner for two in these quaint, but elegant surroundings will average less than $200 plus wine."

7. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

My tomatoes didn't to so well this year. They grew tall but not much in the tomato growth. I have about 20 tomato's and that's it. Had to throw a few out they got brown on the bottom...why does this happen?
    Yours look very good!!

BILLCAMO New Member

shift / reply post on this forum.

My memory has gotten so short I forgot I had one. LOL :>)

Gram, they are very tasty.

Sis , I hope your maters get ripe. Wish I could mail ALL of you BLTS !

fms , fond memories are the best of all !

monica , looks like I'm going to have to try the oven canning method too.

gb7 , I've been lucky so far....haven't eaten too many...but have done that before.

rock , I threw some your shoulder & arm gave out.....didn't go very far....I only bruised them then ate them. :>) For $200 they should include the wine OR whine ....& cheese...LOL.

cc , my plants grew weird this year too. Shorter and not as wide as usual , but , a lot more maters. Maters ran smaller too. I think it is due to the erratic weather.

I picked the 1st Beefsteak tonight. Smaller than usual , but , enough for three sandwiches. I should have some more in the next couple of days & I will share a pic.

Blessings ,

9. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Today I brought a BLT minus the B & L for lunch! Used to get tomato sandwiches in our lunches and they are so much better after they sit in that lunch bag all day! I gotta send my sis an email, she'll be so jealous!!

10. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I just had to cook up a pound of bacon today and now I have no tomatoes. I should have checked before I made the bacon but a bacon sandwich with some lettuce was still so good.

Which reminds me I need to get my radishes going. Nothing better than homegrown radishes.....they have a killer bite to them that you just can't buy in the store.
  11. rockgor

Ever have radish sandwiches? They were a mainstay in my house when I was a kid. When I grew up I found out most people considered them weird.

We also had tuna and scrambled eggs. Probably the Norskie heritage. Our ancestors would have used herring or cod.

Ha det bra

BILLCAMO New Member

I could say a lot of things about that.....But , instead I'll ask for an

I picked a bunch more maters today. I didn't feel good enough after to take or post a pic.

If I feel good enough tomorrow , I may try the lazy oven canning method that was shared here.

Blessings ,

13. DrMomknows

DrMomknows New Member

I am a huge blt fan so light and tasty
  14. rockgor

Ha det bra is Norskie for have it good. Often used as the closing in a letter.

Don't know how to say BLT in Norwegian. I suspect it's "BLT". Haha. Actually the Norwegians have the same alphabet we do plus 3 more vowels.

Here in California we refer to Minnesota as "The Old Country" because everybody at the Sons of Norway meetings is from Minnesota or has relatives back there.

You sure got a lot of responses to your tasty post.