Blue Moon tonight

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwoCatDoctors, Aug 31, 2012.

1. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

According to the Smithsonian, tonight there will be a Blue Moon and the last until 2015. Read all about it below.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Being a Cancer, I live for full moons. Two in one month is a feast of excitment for me. It's all I can do not to go out and howl. I watched the moon set and it was gorgeous. It only happens once in a blue moon!

Love, Mikie
  3. bct

bct Active Member

I watched it rise. Knew we had had one on Aug. !st and one on the 31st, and was wondering if that was what a blue moon was ( the last one). I love watching the moon, even though great Leo roared at my birth!

Barry the sleepy lion.
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

to know what a blue moon was, but I have forgotten along with most
    of what I once knew. (But it's not colored blue.)

Anyhoo, it reminds me of the song "Once in a Blue Moon" from the musical
    "Little Mary Sunshine". You can find it on Youtube, but neither the quality of
    the video nor the performance is very good.

Half a century ago I was in a performance of Little Mary Sunshine. Considering
    my abilities in the singing-dancing-acting categories, I probably should
    have played the part of a tree. (Like Ricky did on a Lucy episode.)

Barry, is Patricia Rutledge a fellow Englisher? I used to have an LP record
    of her as Little Mary.

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is the second full moon in one month. I don't know why it's called, a blue moon, though.

Was just thinking about Les Paul and Mary Ford. They had a show in the 50's on B&W TV. I always watched it. I was thinking that my favorite song of theirs was "How High The Moon." Les Paul was the father of the electric guitar.

Love, Mikie
  6. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I wanted to see the moon and was so tired, that I went to bed early and was off to sleep.

When I hear "Blue Moon," I think of the song "Blue Moon" (Blue Moon, I saw you standing alone, without a dream . . . .)
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

But I have always been fascinated by the moon. I love astronomy but the moon has always done something to me emotionally. Neil Diamond had a song about how it's the same moon which Jesus, Ghandi, and others looked upon that we still gaze at. Our view of the moon is always changing. I love it when it's a sliver too. I really like it when you can see the whole moon when only a sliver is illuminated.

Yes, I remember that song too. The moon represents our feminine side and the sun, our masculine side.

Don't know what mooning someone represents :)

Love, Mikie
  8. jole

jole Member

Funny, after working for several years as a nurse in a nursing home, I really shouldn't. It's true people act differently with a full moon. We knew without looking just by the actions of our residents. Didn't look forward to it at all back then.

Now, it's a huge pasttime of mine. I spend a lot of my nights sitting on the porch looking at the moon and stars.....and I agree, nothing makes a person feel more one with nature, or more a part of the huge expanse of the universe. It can be quite humbling. It's a wonderful time to meditate on the bigger picture of life.

I'm already dreading winter, and will miss my outdoor time tremendously.

When my Gkids were small I'd sit and rock them in the rocker by the window, and they would fall asleep staring at the moon. They all picked up on my appreciation of it. Yes, the song "Blue Moon" is in my head too :)