Bob Dylan Documentary - Martin Scorcese

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rosiebud, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

We just had this on in UK.

Anyone seen it in States or UK?

I thought it was wonderful.

I remember the first time I saw Bob Dylan on Top of The Pops. I dont remember how tiny he was til I saw this documentary - he looked like you could pick him up and put him in your pocket.

The whole documentary was centred around what was going on in society at the time - wow, turn back time, it certainly did.

Hope some of you caught it and enjoyed it as much as I did.

love
    Rosie
  2. bct

bct Well-Known Member

and will be watching it later.

A marvelous musician and songster, I think.
  3. shelbo

shelbo New Member

The weird thing...it almost exactly coincided with the one-year anniversary of his death...

You do know he's playing the Manchester MEN next month?

I also thought the doc was brilliant...such a talented man...and I love his band sound, although I do like the more folky stuff too.

We played 'Jokerman' (dad loved it and was always singing it at work); Knocking on Heaven's Door at his funeral.

It's sad that I only appreciate Dylan now my dad is gone (it's never cool to like what your parents do, is it? LOL)

My personal favourites are 'One More Cup of Coffee'; 'Subterranean sp? Homesick Blues' and 'Jokerman'. I like loads of others too.

Love Shelbo

Ps. Just realised you have a daughter, Shelley....I'm a Shelley too! [This Message was Edited on 10/04/2005]
  4. windblade

windblade Active Member

I totally loved the Dylan documentary!!!
    I think I know about every word to his songs. His music was so much a part of my life when I was about 14 - onward.
    He gave me a way of looking at the world that wasn't so
    sugary-sweet as so much of the horrible music of the 50's.

I think it was because of him I started loving poetry,
    I named my cat Dylan. Hadn't listened to him in a long
    time before this show came on. I see I'm still a huge
    admirer of his music. It's so woven into my life.
    I also live on the East Coast - New Jersey; and my friends
    and I would make treks to cofee-houses in the Village.
    Lots of rich memories watching that.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much!

5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

about your Dad, Shelley. How nice to play his favourite song for him. My daughter Shelley is 28, born the year after you, and has CFS/Fibro too.

bc - make sure you watch it - I didnt tape it and was sorry I didnt so putting it on my xmas list.

windblade

I was around 13 when Dylan appeared in UK and have always thought he was wonderful. A shayman, a shift changer - thats what they said about him on the documentary, too true.
    I hadnt listened to him for a long time either.

love Rosie
    [This Message was Edited on 10/04/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/04/2005]
  6. tansy

tansy New Member

I don't watch much TV but I did watch this.

Nancy I agree. The folk music community in the UK remains political. Though I missed it this year I usually go to see Julie Felix when she plays at a local annual folk, blues, and roots festival. Her tribute to Bob Dylan was to sing, and record, a double album of his songs.

Rosie, I know what you mean about turning back time, I often feel I was lucky to have all that going on during those important years of my life.

Tansy
  7. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

I was fascinated by Dylan way back when, and still am now. I really enjoyed hearing his comments as he was being interviewed in the present. It shed a light about him as a private individual.

He was able to capture, express and interpret so much of what was going on for us. I see him as an artist, a poet, and a musician.

If you enjoyed the documentary, you would probably enjoy his book also, which goes into more depth about his journey, and the people he met along the way, some of whom were in the documentary. It's called "Chronicles".

Hopeful4
  8. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I saw it also, all four hours it was great, wasn't it? Marie
  9. jake123

jake123 New Member

The Times They Are A Changin' but Dylan is timeless isn't he?
  10. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I was glued to my TV set last week! I am from New York but was too young to go into the Village to see him back then. But my husband and I love folk music! My DH plays guitar and Dylan songs are his favorites!

He really IS a shape-changer! I loved listening to him talk and discuss his life. I enjoyed seeing him laugh! It was sort of bittersweet to watch it - made me part homesick and part sad at how much things have actually changed.

I bought two of his CD's at Starbucks. I can't stop listening to them. His version of "Barbara Allen" is mind-boggling! I wonder if he realizes what an impact he made on society? Between him and the Beatles, we had it all!!!!

Love,
    BxGirl
  11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I had no idea Dylan's going electric was received with such shock and feelings of betrayal. Pete Seeger backstage with an axe?
    I also couldn't believe that Dylan didn't seem to fully understand why people were booing him.
    What a great artist, though:
    Buckets of Rain
    Not Dark Yet
    Forever Young
    Don't Think Twice, It's Alright
    He wrote some incredible songs. I like to learn Dylan songs and play them on guitar.
    Scorsese, incidentally, is one incredible filmmaker.
    Take care,
    kholmes