body can't tolerate even the simplest exercise

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tjo, May 23, 2009.

1. tjo

tjo Member

Does anyone else have a problem of not being able to exercise, even minimally? I've tried water exercises and minimal exercise bike and I still end up in bed for the next day or two because my muscles are so sore.
  2. serenityskyline

serenityskyline New Member

I am not able to exercise either and really need to. Sometimes I can walk a little, but pay for it later. I notice that my fibromyalgia tends to flair a lot more when I try to exercise, so you are not alone. My doctor told me that the best kind of exercise for fibromyalgia is to sweat! God Bless you.
  3. sascha

sascha Member

i hate losing strength and conditioning, but i can't exercise when my entire being is screaming out - STOP! YOU FOOL!! and i suffer the aftermath of collapse and increased cfids symptoms.

, but had to give up time and time again. i even failed PT a couple of times- couldn't tolerate the movements even with someone helping me.

bought a stationary bike stand, and did a couple of minutes, but then had the crash experience.

i'm currently helping out with twin grandchildren, which involves a lot of lifting, walking around, getting up and down, holding the little (but rapidly growing) tykes. was so afraid i wouldn't be able to be involved in this great experience, but i am finding schedule that i can live with. AND i find it seems to gradually be giving me back some muscle tone here and there. i work at not overdoing- take long naps with a baby- so i seem to be managing so far.

just recently i bought a medicine ball and maybe it is going to be a help. it supports a lot of my body weight as i do a few simple moves on it. it's comfortable. just on the floor on a yoga mat, my body weight i think is just that much too much for me. the bouncy ball maybe is going to work out. it comes with long stretchy bands, so i can do bits of strengthening and stretching moves. we'll see... i keep trying. hate to atrophy- i think losing strength is severely demoralizing and makes cfids symptoms get worse over time- maybe that's how it works- i don't know for sure- i just keep trying to find ways to get back some strength and fitness. i can't walk without pain, so walking isn't an option- i mean beyond just getting around the house, and to and from my car. i hope we all find some answers on this vitally important topic- best, Sascha
  4. Jacqulyne

Jacqulyne New Member

I can't exercise either. I pay BIG time for several days if I even try.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/24/2009]
  5. jmq

jmq New Member

about a year ago, I was like you...even a few mins of exercises would wipe me out and give

me a flare that would keep me in bed for days. Then I changed a few things....I got off

Cymbalta, got on Lyrica and Wellbutrin. I am still tierd and in pain as soon as I wake up...but I

take my Tramadol and other medications and lie in bed until it kicks in. By mid afternoon I am

able to go in my pool and spend about 30 mins just walking around and doing very easy

stretching and water exersices. I almost feel normal while I am in the pool. BUT as soon as I

go up those steps to leave the pool, the weight of my body comes back immediately. I

manage to dry off, take a shower...and thats it....back to bed for the rest of the day and

night. The good news is I can have the exact same kind of day the very next day and maybe

go for a walk for 20 mins and also take the shower and crawl back into bed.

I consider all this a great improvement because I am doing something. It is also great for my

self confidence and mood. I feel so good that I accomplished it.

I am not sure how long this will last until my next bad flare kicks in...but so far the BAD pain

only lasts durind the morning and in the evenings.

6. spacee

spacee Member

Just tossing it out. I know nothing about it and you would have to google. I do know that he says that the early astronauts could not stand up after returning from orbit and NASA invented it to 'get them back on their feet' literally.

I think the mini trampoline and that ball are in the same family.

I personally can do other exercises but cannot tolerate the mini trampoline. agonizing trying to find something we can do.

I also find that adrenaline pushes me. For instance, the plumber is coming to fix the bathroom and I got enough energy to clean it. Since I am the only one who uses it, it had been getting just bare wipe downs...really, really minimal. but I think in the end, if we rely on the adrenaline, our adrenals pay for it.

This is a very difficult problem....

7. I am the same way. On Good days that is good for me, when I go grocery shopping I try to walk a bit more than necessary in stores. I had to quit exercise for fibro after three sessions as I was in major pain.
    I am worried as I have knee replacement coming up soon and hope I am not in severe pain like the first one I had done.
    Not only not exercising but I have gained so much weight that doesn't help either. sigh... what to do , what to do. BUT my rheum. dr. said if I do my own shopping and cleaning it is enough, but I have NO ENERGY and that worries me.
    Everyone says start small, but that still kills me so I am terrified to even exercise anymore to suffer even more than I do everyday in pain.
  8. sheridragonfly

sheridragonfly New Member

yes even mild walking aggravates my FMS and causes
    horrific pain by night or the next day..and the cfs part
    is totally weakness from walking.