Body Image

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jashoemaker, Apr 17, 2007.

1. jashoemaker

jashoemaker New Member

Here's an interesting question....most of us have probably undergone some physical changes since having CFS/FMS, most of which we aren't too happy about. I personally used to be a very active and fit person; now I have lost a good deal of muscle tone and feel like my body is "sagging" way beyond normal 24-year-old levels. Not to mention that I look chronically tired and people always comment on that. I splurge a little on beauty products to feel more alive, but the benefit may be more psychological. :)

I want to know what things have helped you to cope with a different body image so you don't get depressed each time you look in the mirror!
  2. dreamer28455

dreamer28455 New Member

im 23 and its harder for me to take care of my skin...i have skipped the washing face ruetein and i break out a little now...but i just bought sheer cover off the tv...it has great covering products! i also hardly wear any of my extensive wardrobe i spent thousands on in my teens, i wear work clothes then come home and put on sweats! i just cant go to the mall like i used to be able to! i cant do anything anymore.....this sucks <3 Rachel
  3. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

This is a good thread. I think most of us feel negative about our bodies. It is a terible feeling to go from a person in good physical shape to a sagging ole lady at 45. Can we ever get back? I just spend my time in bed...I don't work, and it takes alot out of me to get any exercise in. Just walking for a period of time is exhausting.

I am open to anything to help me feel better about myself.
  4. hambys97

hambys97 New Member

A couple of years ago, I went through a wonderful transformation that led me to a size 8, and a comfortable 160 pounds. I was so proud of myself.
    Then, all this happens! I understand that my life has taken a more sedentary style, but I never imagined how this would take a toll on me. I often worry that if things are this bad now at only 28, what is my body going to be like 10 years, 20 years, or 30 years from now.
    What do we do to help????? I am ready for anything to make things better, just don't ask me to move my aching body too much. Oh, and don't ask me to do anything between 2 to 5, that's nap time. And we can't stay up too late at night, as I do TRY to get a good nights sleep?!?:)

Angie
  5. mujuer

mujuer New Member

and now that the weather is warming up, I am getting out and gardening and walking everyday possible. Starting to see some results and will get a treadmill for next winter for sure. For me it's important to at least get a shower or bath everyday and fuph my hair a little so I am at least somewhat presentable even if I am in my jammies all day. When I look in the mirror I at least don't scare myself.

I do feel like a fatty fatty boobalatty right now but oh well, winter happens!
  6. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I have always had a negative body image so the FM didn't make too much of a difference except for when I gained 30+ lbs due to Elavil.

I was able to lose those when I went on the gluten-free diet and I'm even close to reaching the size I was 3 years ago.

I still have bad skin though, although it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. As much as I hate my happiness relying on another person, my boyfriend has helped quite a bit too. He helps me feel pretty and feel good about myself. I don't know what I would do without him sometimes.

Since it is beginning to warm up I am hoping to get out more and enjoy the sunshine. I am hoping that will help get me exercising and help get me to like myself more.
  7. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

Like most of you, I was always active and had a pretty good figure. 10 years ago, it started heading south! Because I can't exercise, due to FM and arthritis in the lower back, the muscles have gone to mush. Also, because of meds and inactivity, I have gained a lot of weight.

I got the yeast under control and lost 20 pounds. I just bought a REBOUNDER and has just been doing little tiny hops and when I went shopping today, I was down about a size!! No weight loss, but the muscle tone is starting to come back

I know I don't feel as bad about everything now, as I did a few years ago. I am now 61 and I am doing ok. Just need to keep rebounding.

Also, looking after your skin is so important. I have been doing that since I was in my 20's and I believe it has paid off.
  8. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Learner - too funny - I feel like that too! It's all gone "downhill" (LOL) in the past few years with increasing inactivity despite a healthy diet.

To the person who said about the rebounder - can you explain this more - is it gentle on a painful body with very painful muscles?

Gotta do something otherwise I am going to get huge as well as untoned!

Love and empathy to all,

Bunchy xxx
  9. Engel

Engel New Member

i am 53 ... i have lost all muscle tone and am overweight, sagging, look 65 and feel 85 ... breaking out worse than a teenager (never reallt had zits when i was young)with flaky super dry skin ... no fun
  10. jashoemaker

jashoemaker New Member

Thanks for sharing so openly....I guess we can really understand each other on this subject!

I appreciate the suggestion of just taking a shower and doing my hair every day. That seems doable and makes me feel somewhat presentable

One of my favorite things is to do homemade facials or pedicures with friends. This can be a fun way to feel good
  11. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

I have never been so upset about my body before! I have always been thin and didn't really exercise.

Last fall I got a stomach flu that lasted 5 weeks (one week in between I thought I was all better) but I wasn't. Then in January and February I got two awful colds.

Also, this DD was giving me a lot of nausea. So after all this I lost 15 pounds. I am 5'7" and weigh 108 now but at the lowest I was 105.

I look so skinny and feel embarrassed. I have no butt and no boobs! After having my baby I actually had almost B cups for the first time in my life. Now I barely fit in an A cup :( Absolutely stinks.

My naturopath has me on these digestive supplements and I still am not gaining. I am so upset! Can you tell?

All I do is try to eat lots of small meals in between the 3 larger meals. I drink Ensure and now I just got some protein bars. I have a protein powder too but I need to try and do it at least every day(I don't always have the room or like the taste). I am also streching and doing a few yoga poses. I take very short walks.

Sorry I am so negative guess I have some strong feelings about this!

Sorekitty
    [This Message was Edited on 04/17/2007]
  12. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

I bought mine from the Shopping Channel in Canada. It is by J.B. Berns. You can google that.

I am VERY limited as to what I can do, and I find this pretty easy. I am only on it for short periods of time, but a few times a day.

My massage therapist advised me to get one (after I had ordered it) as it is really good for the Lymphatic System. You don't need to do big jumps or anything, just little ones. You don't even have to jump at all, but kind of bounce back and forth on your feet (moving your heels up and down basically). It is fun and I have found my ab muscles are getting stronger.

A rebounder is like a little trampoline. It does help to buy a good one. This one has great springs so it provides a very soft "jump". I also have a stabization bar so I can blance better.

Hope this helps some of you that were asking.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/17/2007]
  13. jashoemaker

jashoemaker New Member

About how much do Rebounders cost?
  14. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

The one I got from the shopping channel was $143.00. A Sports store might sell them cheaper. Make sure the springs are large and move easily.