body image

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by toniad, Sep 27, 2002.

1. toniad

toniad New Member

i've been in therapy for 5 weeks now, and i've been really busy, trying to get some of this extra weight off, and so far, nothing. i'm the same weight i was 5 weeks ago, and my clothes fit the same. i look down at my body in disgust. i can't do sit ups, i can't jog, like the dr says i should? how am i supposed to jog if some days i am lucky just to walk?

i'm disgusted! i think its from going to school again? i see all these tall, thin, pretty - healthy 'looking' young girls and here i sit size 14 or better and miserable, i am lucky to make it to school on time and awake.

how are we supposed to not just accept the disease, but also accept our bodies the way they are now? i hate my body now. i don't like anything about it. i'm sad a lot of the time lately.

i am glad i have this place to come to expel my frustrations. thank you guys for listening.

hope everyone is having a good weekend!
    tonia d.
  2. toniad

toniad New Member

i've been in therapy for 5 weeks now, and i've been really busy, trying to get some of this extra weight off, and so far, nothing. i'm the same weight i was 5 weeks ago, and my clothes fit the same. i look down at my body in disgust. i can't do sit ups, i can't jog, like the dr says i should? how am i supposed to jog if some days i am lucky just to walk?

i'm disgusted! i think its from going to school again? i see all these tall, thin, pretty - healthy 'looking' young girls and here i sit size 14 or better and miserable, i am lucky to make it to school on time and awake.

how are we supposed to not just accept the disease, but also accept our bodies the way they are now? i hate my body now. i don't like anything about it. i'm sad a lot of the time lately.

i am glad i have this place to come to expel my frustrations. thank you guys for listening.

hope everyone is having a good weekend!
    tonia d.
  3. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Why did your dr. tell you to jog???? What's wrong with walking? You can start out very slow and work up to a faster pace. I walk on the treadmill on no incline, and walk 2.8 miles per hour. That is pretty slow. We can only do what we can do. Walking will stretch your muscles, boost your endorphins, and will help you lose weight. Can you exercise in water? That's also good. You're a size 14? I wish I was a 14! I'm a 16 and am only 5 feet tall! My body has changed, and believe me, it's NOT from fibromyalgia! A combination of lowering calories and exercise is supposed to help. What kind of therapist are you seeing? I can't believe they told you to jog! If you're seeing a physical therapist who wants you to jog, maybe you should find another one. Oh, something else. Besides walking, light stretching can help too. I went to a physical therapist who gave me stretching exercises and they make me feel better. I hope you feel better soon.

Annette2
  4. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Hating your body will only be destructive in the long run. Think positive, and remember that school/college/university is not a normal distribution of the population! It tends to cluster together all of those "young", "pretty", "sexy" girls in one place. In the world of work or anywhere else, there is not such a high proportion of people who look like that (except perhaps in the entertainment or fashion industry, and those are pretty extreme examples).

I'm 27 and I study/work part-time at my university. I've been a bit overweight this year and I too struggled with having to look at these young, lithe 17 year olds every day! But it was my BF that pointed out to me that college/university isn't a normal situation and that it's like a concentrated population not at all like the real world. I admit this didn't console me and I went ahead and lost weight and got my hair done!!! But the sentiment was absolutely right.

I agree you should take the advice above about exercise. Start out slowly, by walking half an hour a day if you can. If you can't manage half an hour, then just do as much as you can - walking around the block is a great start!

Cut all saturated fats and refined sugars from your diet, and fill up on healthy fruits and vegetables as well as wholegrain breads and pita bread. Eat protein like eggs (boiled, poached or scrambled - not fried!), and chicken baked without the skin on it. Give it flavour by cooking it with onions and thyme or other seasoning.

Also, supplement with Spirulina as this contains almost all the vitamins and minerals in high doses, and it also helps to suppress the appetite a bit. Also supplement with 1000mg vitamin C every day. In addition - and this is IMPORTANT for weight loss - supplement with a caffeine-free form of Green Tea extract. Not only does this cleanse your blood and act as an antioxidant, but green tea will also increase your amount of calorie burning due to its thermogenic properties.

(Edited by Moderator)

Also, PLEASE avoid any weight loss supplements that contain caffeine or ephedrine/ephedra (this is related to the drug "speed") as these ingredients are potentially dangrous.

Anyway good luck with losing weight - and again, please try to keep a positive self-image, as this will help you most of all!

Alison

[This Message was Edited on 09/28/2002]
  5. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

At your age, its natural I think to be concerned with body imaage.

Just the other day, I was spending time with my sister. We laughed about it when back when we were younger, and thought we were fat. Heck we had bodies that were hot. A size 14, I would just die for right now. That is not such a bad size. We talked too about how firm out breasts were. I played alot of sports back then too.

I had a bad body image back then, even though my body was just fine. I wish I wouldve dressed a little nicer, taken care of myself better. Not concerned myself with body image, but with what is on the inside.

I have gained weight since my diagnoisis also. I was concerned with body image for some time. I accept it now. I eat healthy, exercise, yet cannot lose weight either. It is the way it is, and so I accept it. I work on my inside more, and thats what really counts I think. How you feel on the inside, it reflects to the outside.

Hope I helped a little..

6. sybil

sybil New Member

i have put on about 2 stone since i became ill.
    i don't sit and eat all day.i have 3 meals a day and if i feel hungry in between i eat fruit.
    i am vegetarian and i eat virtually no dairy products.
    i have 2 wardrobes full of clothes that don't fit me and i am sick of being this size.i'm 5ft 9ins,so i don't look huge,but i certainly feel it!
    as for exercise,my FMS is so bad at the moment that i have to be careful how far i walk,or i'm in agony and the pain keeps me awake all night.
    i have just started physiotherapy and i am doing only hand and arm exercises.the physiotherapist tells me i have to take things really slowly.but even the arm exercises are making my back,ribs and shoulder blades hurt like mad.
    i start hydrotherapy in a months time when the hydrotherapy pool renovation has ben completed,

sybilxxx
  7. tired42long

tired42long New Member

I don't know how old you are...not that it really matters. there are those that in their 60's 70's and 80's still hold some form of self hate almost, due to their body image. comparisons with women have gone on for decades and decades since the beginning of fashion magazines, wartime celebrity "sexpots", and even farther back with the cinching of waists and corsets...etc. God, at least now woman aren't subjected to THAT much pain...with the exception maybe of 4 inch stilettos that kill your back and arches.LOL.I think its hard for any of us to relax and accept who we are, even the poor teenagers that have to deal with this on an even GRANDER level. What pressure for perfection? It is even worse when you feel like crap and you can't do much to change it. But, you know, I think the illnesses we have tend to downplay our vanity a bit. It makes you think that ,well, it is more important to try to get well and FEEL better...looking better is put on the back burner. Most of us have put on a few pounds (lots for some of us), some have LOST so much weight from disease and anxiety.We mostly look haggard and pale, have circles under our eyes from lack of sleep, poor skin, and are so out of it often can't even remember how to laugh or smile---which is a REAL hallmark of beauty! Myself? I used to be obsessed about my weight and body. Even after having many kids. Now, as a mother of 6, I really have to talk to myself that I am NOT a young "chick" anymore and I don't HAVE to be some fashion model....this is hard for me to convince myself, because my hubby is 8plus years younger. But, he too has lost alot of youth, some hair, and puts on weight---although he is still GORGEOUS to me!!! I think its true...beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Even in our own eyes. Take a GOOD look at yourself...not just the shell but what you have to offer...accomplishments (even if small), how good a friend you are...mom or daughter you are...just look for 1 thing per day ---even the tiniest thing you are proud of and like/love yourself for....the weight issue will not be so much on the forefront anymore. and have faith that there will be a time when you have the energy, heart, and mind to change what you can. Until then, we must always love and appreciate what we have been given. No not a preaching...just a lesson I've seen too many people, including myself learn. I have found so many happy, independent, charming and radiant people that have big weight issues....I am jealous of their acceptance of self. They have happy souls....what more in life could be worth so much?!!!
  8. jeanann

jeanann New Member

is that I have been eating more than i thought. I recently joined a 12 step group for over eating. Its amazing how much I ate and I did not realize it. I was trying and trying tro loose weight and nothing happened. Now I am working a 12 step program and I am losing it. Sometimes trying to loose weight will make us gain. Any way. using a spiritual approach is working for me. Love you guys Jean ann
  9. jeanann

jeanann New Member

is that I have been eating more than i thought. I recently joined a 12 step group for over eating. Its amazing how much I ate and I did not realize it. I was trying and trying tro loose weight and nothing happened. Now I am working a 12 step program and I am losing it. Sometimes trying to loose weight will make us gain. Any way. using a spiritual approach is working for me. Love you guys Jean ann
  10. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

Tonia, I was looking thru old posts and came across your where you are upset and struggling with your weight. I too have been struggling with mine. I am 30 y/o, no kids, 5 ft 3" and weigh 190. I should weigh in at around 120. And at one time about 10 years ago I did.
    Getting to this weight was gradual and many things caused it. I do not come from a family of skinny people for one, but the fault pretty much lies with me. I do love food. I used to be able to eat anything anytime I wanted to. But as my body changed and I got a little older, the stresses of life became real, I gained and gained. I do blame alot of my recent weight on the Depo Provera birth control shot. When I began that shot 3 years ago I was at 160. At my highest weight I was 210. So the last 50 lbs came on in a 3 year time frame. Depo also contributed to a pseudo tumor I have battled this summer. My neurologist said that hormonal B.C. and being overweight was the cause (probably). But A few other things that I did contributed also such as steroid injections in my elbow for tendonitis, tetracycline antibiotics, etc. I have been on fluid pills and a diet and lost about 12 slowwwwwww pounds. What I did was of course get off any type of hormonal b.c. watch what I eat and WHEN I ate it, and moved around. No I did not do major exercises, but I did walk, and move as much as I could for how bad I hurt. I also swam nearly daily this summer. If I was to tired to swim or hurt too bad, I would get in the pool and just walk around or float on my back and let the water relax my joints and muscles. I can not afford to be overweight because I could very easily go blind if the psuedo tumor comes back. Also cut down on your portions you eat. And I simply do NOT buy the junk food when I go to the grocery store. Just don't buy it. Leave the potato chips, don't even go down the snack isle. If you want a sweet snack try fresh fruit (apples, bananas, grapes, raisins) cut up with a tiny bit of lowfat mayo as a dressing. Very healthy and filling. I have went thru all the range of emotions, the anger , frustration, depression over the fat. I know how you are feeling. You see yourself the most horrible way you can. But others do not see that as much as you think. Good luck, you are not alone in the battle of the buldge. Hold your head up even though it is hard!:)
  11. pam_d

pam_d New Member

... I gained 30 lbs. in 3 years on depoprovera shots. They're convenient, but a real convenient way to gain unwanted lbs. too. I got off them, and 5 years later am still struggling to lose the weight I gained on them. I have lost about 14 lbs. in the last 5 months, tho. I've never been on an actual "diet". The only way I've lost this weight is to count the servings of fresh fruits & veggies I eat each day; I try for 7 to 8. That's it. I don't even bother to count the other food groups, because if I'm eating that many fruits & veggies, I'm not loading up on pastas, breads & other starchy stuff (killers for me). I watch fats & try for protein like egg whites, lean chicken, fish (I don't eat red meat or pork). So far, so good--- I don't weigh any foods, I just go for those 1/2 cup servings of fruits & veggies. It's simple for me to look at it that way. And Poodlegirl is right, don't even walk down the snack aisle at the market! I don't like sweets, but those starchy, salty snacks were a magnet for me! Also, I try to remember that with FM & CFS, the closer we are to a healthy weight (and I don't mean a pencil-thin, "vogue model" weight) the less stress on muscles, joints etc. so that's what I try to keep in mind; not tying it to looks or body image, but would I maybe FEEL better a few pounds lighter?? And I'm realistic--- long gone are the days when I weighed the 105 lbs. I did in high school! But I'm OK with that, I just want to feel better, maybe be able to walk a wee bit farther, etc. Good luck to you, Tonia, I do get frustrated with the weight thing, too (and so many of us are on meds. that drive up weight, too). I wish you the best in your efforts--

Pam