body jerks & shock-like pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by laughowax, Jul 2, 2003.

1. laughowax

laughowax New Member

I have been recently diagnosed with FMS. Besides muscle/joint pain, I have been experiencing body twitching/jerks just as I'm drifting off to sleep. I know this is something everyone has, but I do this almost every night...sometimes 6-7 times before I finally fall asleep. Also, I have experienced shock-like pain, sometimes accompanied with a weird noise, inside my head. Is this common with FM, or do I have something else wrong with me? Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? I worry that I might be beginning to have some type of seizure. Thanks. L[This Message was Edited on 07/02/2003]
  2. mewa

mewa New Member

you are not imagining these things that are happening to you. it is like having an electrical nerve system shorting on us. many times it is the muscles in the area of the body that is responding to this short circuit.

ringing of ears in common in the FM syndrome also. it is one of the FM points that can be affected.

you would be best to have this checked out, just in case it is something else. try to read some good books on the syndrome itself - what to expect and how to control it.

visualization, meditation, relaxation with music can all help. don't take on more than you can handle at the time.
    sometimes it takes up to 3 days for it to pass, sometimes just hours. depends what you did previously to bring it on. can be a simple movement through your day - the body then reacts to the messages it is getting from the brain and viola! you are having strange things happen.

i know - these have all affected me at one time or another. now - no one pushes my buttons - i take care of myself and do NOTHING if i don't feel like it until i am feeling better.

restless legs syndrome is what you may be experiencing. part of the FM agenda. try placing you legs on pillows when sleeping, see if that helps. also, when sitting, keep your legs up! Hope this helps. you are not alone.
  3. fonda

fonda New Member

I also get body jerks just as I am going to sleep. They have gotten a lot worse lately. The whole bed shakes.

About six weeks ago we had a bad lighting storm. There was a strike close to the house and I kept hearing that sound all day. I hadnt slept the whole night before and was suffering from a migraine. I also had a strange dizziness. At about 7pm I walked out on the porch with my kids and had a grand-mal seizure. The doctors say it probably came from the migraine. I have had lots of tests..all okay. I had never had a seizure before...its a very scary thing to go thru. I couldn't remember anything for several hours in the emergency room.
  4. RedB

RedB New Member

myoclonus jerking. Many of us seem to have it, but my brother also has it, and he does not have FM or CFS.

Unless it is extremely severe it is nothing to worry about. It is just an aggravation, and can affect your dropping off to sleep. Klonopin seems to be the drug of choice to prevent the jerks, but I just let them happen. The more active I am, the less I have them.

When I was a lot sicker, I even used to have them when I was just totally relaxing on the couch or a chair.

You can do a search on this site to see what others have said about the doggone irritating things. :eek:)

Kathy
  5. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

I have the jerks and the noise. Guess I should write it down & remember to ask my doc next time.

Lisa
  6. kimkane

kimkane New Member

HI THERE, I HAVE BEEN HAVING THAT FOR OVER3 YEARS. ITS LIKE YOUR ELBOW HAS A BACK FIRE, OR YOU KNEE FOR EXAMPLES.
    IF YOU CAN GO SEE YOU DR AS IT MIGHT BE A PROBBLEM WITH FOOD . KIM KANE