Body odor...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MamaT1967, Jan 15, 2010.

1. MamaT1967

MamaT1967 New Member

I have never had to wear deodorant, never had any odor even in summer or during working out (when I used to be able to). In the last few months I have started to have the weirdest smell and I don't know what to do. I can shower and it only takes minutes for the smell to come back. I am going to my dermatologist on Tuesday, 1/19 and am going to ask him, but was wondering if anybody had this too or any ideas about it.

Thank you,
  2. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

It's just a thought, but maybe it's something you are eating or a supplement you are taking. Do you take garlic or something similiar?

Good luck with your appointment.

3. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i have been noticing the same thing over the last several months. i never had body odor, just a little while after showering, i can smell this sour, biting sort of smell from my body..and it just gets worse with time. i have never had this before. i assume its because of the illness....toxins...infections...whatever. my illness has gotten really bad lately.

i just hope it isnt cancer. i keep hearing about cancer causing strange body odors.

4. MamaT1967

MamaT1967 New Member

Sue another thing to worry about! LOL! I haven't changed my diet, don't take any supps except Vit D3, stopped taking synthroid and I think thats all. My hair has been falling out by the handful, stopped taking the synthroid so I could get new, "clean" bloodwork done.

[This Message was Edited on 01/15/2010]
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Have you talked to your GP about this? You might want to get your hormone levels checked.
  6. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

I have really BAD BO in the winter months-- especially when I'm not moving around alot at my computer... does anyone else have that?
  7. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

Diabetes can cause an odor. So can kidney disease. If you are having blood work done I believe they will find the reason.

8. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I started to get a rotting vegetable smell to my sweat in the last nine months. Cannot get rid of it. I blamed it on the Prilosec because I never had it prior to taking that. But stopping it had no effect. The only other thing it could possibly be would be the Levothyroxine, but I don't think so because I had this before being switched to it. I still think the Prilosec did something. Other than that, I have no clue. But I never had it before this. To me, it's horrible. And I have a dual problem with it because I can't use alot of aluminum based deodorants, they make me worse. If I have to go somewhere, I use it, but I get dizzy from it. The rest of the time, when I'm home, I just use cornstarch.
  9. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Have you tried Dove Sensitive Skin dry roll on deodorant? It works very well and does not irritate. I always wait half a day after shaving underarms to apply, however.
  10. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i do suspect i have diabetes but - and this sounds really dumb - i havent had the test because fasting for 12 hrs makes my CFS REALLY REALLY bad and i dont want to do it lol

i think i might have some other symptoms of diabetes too. i read somewhere all CFS people have some insulin issues. prolly the stupid infection screwing up the pancreas.

11. elliespad

elliespad Member

I NEVER had any body odor, never sweated, haven't used deodorant for probably 20 years. But, when I started taking Iodoral (Iodine and Iodide) the iodine can detox Bromide out. And let me tell you, it stinks. Causes what is called Bromide Stench. Look it up.

Certain Sedatives contain Bromide also, Bromo-Seltzer, to settle stomach. Don't know if taking products with Bromide in it might cause the odor, but the Iodine sure does for me.
  12. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

If you think you might possibly have diabetes, get it checked out - now. If you are diabetic, you are doing serious damage to your body by ignoring it. Who knows, maybe some of what you are blaming on CFS and XMRV could actually be related to diabetes.

My sister is attending her brother-in-law's funeral this afternoon because he chose to ignore his diabetes. He died of a massive heart attack last weekend. Diabetes is a very serious disease.

I think that there is a lot of erroneous information out there about CFS. Not ALL people with CFS have insulin issues; just like we don't all have lyme disease, thyroid problems, blood pressure issues, candida, or high mercury levels.

Fasting for 12 hours might not be making your CFS really bad - for diabetics long stretches without food screws up the insulin levels. Do you know anyone who is a diabetic that could check your A1 C levels? Or possibly your local drug store could check for you. This doesn't require fasting. Your number shouldn't be above six.

Take care.
  13. JLH

JLH New Member

Is it just me, or has anyone else ever heard of any teenager or adult who has never needed to wear deodorant?

I thought every teenager and adult needed to wear deodorant. Deodorant keeps down the smell. Then you have a deodorant/anti-perspirant which keeps down the smell and wetness, which a lot of people need.

If you wear the same perfume on a daily basis for a long period of time, eventually you don't, or can't, even smell it on yourself, but others can. I know because I have worn the same scent for a number of years and I can't smell it on myself, but others will remark on how nice I smell ....

The same goes with odor. You may not think that you have an odor and need a deodorant because you are used to and immune to your own smell, but others may smell an odor on you if you do not bathe often or wear deodorant.

I am not saying that this is your case, but just stating a fact that this can occur.

Now if you are smelling a weird smell on yourself, there must be a reason. Like others have said, there may be some type of new medication that you are taking, or something new that you are eating which is causing what you smell.

I hope you find the answer from the dermatologist that you are soon going to see.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/16/2010]
  14. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

does anyone else smell this on you? my mother had a sinus infection and had a terrible smell in her fuel oil...she didn't realize it was her sinuses...

sometimes I smell things that others don't and it makes me feel sick but only I smell it....

can anyone else smell the body odor? not that you really want to go around taking a survey!!!LOL!