Body swelling?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by poodlegirl, Nov 7, 2002.

1. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

I was wondering if anyone with FM has a problem with retaining fluid or swelling. My hands and feet and face have really been swelling. I have FM. I gained 10 lbs in a 2 week period and it was fluid! My aunt who also suffers with FM swells.
  2. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

I was wondering if anyone with FM has a problem with retaining fluid or swelling. My hands and feet and face have really been swelling. I have FM. I gained 10 lbs in a 2 week period and it was fluid! My aunt who also suffers with FM swells.
  3. kimwarman

kimwarman New Member

but only lately. I've had to take all jewelry off, Sweating profusely, and a lot of up and down with my weight!
    In the last 7 weeks I've gone from about 130 to 162!!
    I have an appointment with my GP about this next week, I can not handle this constant up and down with the weight etc.!!!

If I come away with a secret answer I'll let you know!

Kim
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Are you sure it is not the meds that is causing the swelling? I don't know of anyone who gains weight because of Fibro. I have had Fibro for 20 years, and I am thin. But the only med I take is low dose Xanax once a day, I take supplements.

As for the swelling, I do have my hands swell in the morning, but it goes down after I am up about an hour.

Do mention this to your doctor. It could be something else if not the medications.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. tes

tes New Member

I do agree with you. I also get the swelling in my hands and feet upon awakening. After an hour of moving about, I'm back to normal. I haven't read either that people gain weight from fm. It's probably the meds. I myself am thin. This fm illness is so different for everyone.

Tes
  6. kadywill

kadywill New Member

and have had for many years. I am 47 years old and have suffered from hypertension since I was a teenager. I was in good physical shape, but I inherited high blood pressure from my parents. I do not urinate now but one or two times all day. I don't urinate when I get up in the morning or throughout the day at work. When I get home and lie down, I feel the urge to go after about 20 to 30 minutes and then I go once more before I go to sleep. I do not get up during the night to void. I take a fluid pill also and this is the results I get from it! Without it, I'd never go! If I take more diuretic medicine, I suffer from extremely low potassium and the K+ supplements don't really correct it for me. Hypokalemia (low potassium) can be VERY dangerous and I have had serious bouts of it. I have renal failure from SLE (Lupus) and Congestive Heart Failure (inherited) and it has progressively gotten worse over the past 15 years. When I get home from work, my legs are so swollen I can barely bend my knees. When I wake up, my fingers are so swollen I can't bend them. I do best if I lie down on my days off. I do the worst if I stand or sit. I eat a very low sodium diet. I only drink water; nothing else.
    I feel sorry for anyone suffering from this, no matter how severe. I do not think this is related to FMS, but I may well be wrong. Usually it is a result of Cardiovascular illness. See your doctor. Have a BUN and Creatinine lab test done to see if you have renal failure. Follow a strict low salt diet. Good luck!
    Love,
    Kady