Bone Loss in anyone under 50?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mlrarr, Jul 15, 2006.

1. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

Good morning..
    Is there any or you that have bone loss and are under 50? Do any of you have anything wrong with your bones. Also what symptoms does it cause?
    Thanks
    Melinda
  2. cindy41

cindy41 New Member

Melinda

I was dx with osteopenia, which is pre osteoporosis in my early 40's. Not treating it yet because the doc said that all the meds are long term for people in their 60s and they don't want me to start anything this early because the drugs are so new and no one really knows the long term effects yet. She suggested double the calcium tablets and some weight bearing exercise, which I can not do, because exercise makes me crash. It is just something I will have to watch for now.

Cindy
  3. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I believe the major cause of bone loss in women before menoopause is gluten intolerance/celiac. I have a good friend who started showing signs before menopause and it worsened after menopause, so they put her on calcium and estrogen, but she couldn't absorb the calcium. She recently was diagnosed with celiac and so was her sister with similar problems.

Jan
  4. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

I had bone loss throughout my forties because of hyperparathyroidism (now operated on successfully). Ask for your calcium & parathyroid hormone levels to be checked.
  5. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

Yesterday my test came back for hyperthyroid and it was negative.
    My back hurts all the time, right between my shoulders and now I have been having pins and needles in my hands and feet. My grandmother had it young and by the time she was in her 70's she just about didnt have a backbone!!
    Thanks to everyone !!!!

Melinda
  6. Dainty45

Dainty45 New Member

I was also diagnosed with Osteopenia in my early 40's, I also have low vitamin D, so I have to take supplements for that. Calcium is also necessary to maintain strong bones. Although it is hard to exercise with Fibro, just doing a little housework will keep you going.
  7. BonBons

BonBons New Member

I'm having gum build-up now, also have osteopenia in an old compression fracture in spine. Scare. Who will hold me up?