Book Club: April's book is BASKET CASE by Carl Hiaasen

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Apr 5, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Turns out the vote was still tied, as far as I could tell. So I checked the Albuquerque library, and they don't have The Prince of West End, so I'm going with Basket Case (not to mention the fact that I am one).

Ask Rockgor how to pronounce the author's last name.

This looks like a good one, by all accounts. It's a NY Times bestselling book, a humorous mystery set in Florida (maybe Dar and Molly can read it while they're there).

As usual, let's read it and post on it during the last week of the month.

Rosiebud: Glad you decided to read both books, and I hope you have a good trip to Stirling.

Anyone who wants to join us is always welcome.

[This Message was Edited on 04/05/2007]
  2. llama

llama New Member

Hi all,

Glad the decision was was the first Carl Hiaasen (I believe it's Hi-a-sen) book that I ever read and I've been hooked ever since.

I hope it's not too "salty" for Well just have a beer handy when you're reading, and you'll be fine.

Take Care..........Jill...............
    [This Message was Edited on 04/12/2007]
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

It's pronounced High-ah-sen. High as in "Hei" which is "Hi" in Norwegian. Ah as in "Ah gotta go now". Sen as in "Take some Sen-sen for your bad breath".

The double "A" Tells you it's a Norwegian name.

I just re-read Basket Case. My Alheimer's is slowly getting worse. I just read the book a couple years ago, but have no memory of it.

It's like all of his novels. I read some of his columns, but they were too serious for me.
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

OK Ken, now I am feeling better I will try and be more productive and get this book. Love Annie C
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Rock: Thanks for the pronunciation of Hiaasen. I was hoping it wasn't "Hi Ass In."

AnneC: Very glad you're doing better and joining us again.
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Annie. Always good to hear from you.

Hei, Ken. Well, actually, you've got the pronounciation right. I just didn't think the dept. of standards and practices would allow it.

I should have said in my previous post that the book in question is like all of Carl's novels: i.e., a lot of fun.

That reminds me. I used to be a lot of fun...several decades ago. Guess that would be pretty much the case for a good many of us. Haha

Ha det bra

7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Wasn't sure if you were saying the book was fun or not.

My copy is in at the library! I'm picking it up this weekend.