Book Club confused

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Hi all

I'm actually enjoying Gilead now, after a slow start but it's confusing me a bit.

The history aspect - I thought his Grandfather was on the side of the Union - now I'm reading he's riding with John Brown and shooting a union soldier - can one of you please explain as it's really annoying for me. The union was the north wasn't it??

I know the song John Brown's body etc but dont know what side he was on.

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I wrote out a post in response to your question, but it all vanished. Here's a one sentence summary.

A couple years before the Civil War, John Brown, a fanatic, and a few followers, killed several soldiers in an attempt to steal army guns w/ which
    to arm slaves.

I wish I had a gun right now. I'd blow a hole in this stoopud computer! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

so his Grandfather was on the side of the union but he was a fanatic.

That makes sense to me now. I couldn't understand why an anti-slavery unionist would kill a union soldier.

Hope your computer problems disappear soon - I had such a time with my laptop before I got this new computer - it went on for best part of a year and drove me mad.

Hope you're having some sunshine over there, it's cold here but dry so can't complain.