Book Club: December's book is HOUSEKEEPING, by Marilyn Robinson

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Dec 1, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

New members always welcome.

As usual, let's read it and then post on it during the last week of the month (between Christmas and New Year's, in this case). This is a beautifully written novel. There is a superb film adaptation with Christine Lahti.
    But don't cheat! read the book first.

I would also suggest that we re-read A CHRISTMAS CAROL this month, since it's short and is a such a great classic.

Lastly, I would suggest that THE MONK DOWNSTAIRS be our January book, since it was a close second, and it keeps coming up in the suggestion thread.

2. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

I looked last week at the library to see if they had Housekeeping and they did. I called a few minutes ago to the library and had them put it on reserve to pick up Monday. (I have a German to English reference dictionary to return then). My oldest son and my foster son are in 2nd & 3rd year German.

I know they do not have the Monk Downstairs so I will have them get it in for me for January just in case.

I will also see if I can find my copy of A Christmas Carol. I know I have...not just where did I put it?

They all sound good to me. I am looking forward to get reading them.

Take care & kitten hugs,
    Blessed Be,
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

easy in this life.

Went to the LA Library on line. According to their new, improved system they have no books by Marilyn Robinson.

A request for The Monk Downstairs brought up the following titles:

The Mouse and the Mask
    The Never Wars

30 years of the Rockford Files
    Naqsh-i taghziah dar pishgiri

Random House Webster

It's like panning for gold in my bathtub.

4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I like knowing what will be next so if I zip through the Book of the Month I can move on to the next. Of course the next is a book I've already read so no doubt I'll forget all about Housekeeping by the time we talk about it. No matter; the library just got it in for me and it's LITTLE. Somehow the title make me think it would be massive. lol Says something about how much needs to be done around here.

I was thinking, Ken, that maybe we could have a thread for reviewing the books we read even though they're not a Book Club selection. You wouldn't even have to monitor it; we could just post our reviews of books that we especially like or books that we found a total waste of time. I also read a lot of in-between ones...

What do you think?

Rock, I think you need a new library.

5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Rock: 30 YEARS OF THE ROCKFORD FILES sounds kind of interesting.
    "Like panning for gold in my bathtub" is a great analogy. Try a search for GILEAD and see what comes up; that's Marilyn Robinson's latest, and it's won all sorts of prizes. It's almost impossible to imagine the LA library not having GILEAD. Barring the LA library, you can probably get a copy of HOUSEKEEPING for about a dollar on I'd hate to see you miss this one; I think you'd like it, and probably GILEAD as well. By the way, I hope you weren't expecting pictures in SPILLVILLE. There is artwork, but no photography.

Marta: Excellent idea! Shannonsparkles and I have posted the occasional "what are you reading lately" threads, but I like the idea of posting reviews and opinions on other books we're reading.

How about you start one off?

Iowa Laurie: Glad to hear your libary is helping you out. Do they do interlibary loans, for books they don't have? Please don't tell me your librarian's name is Marian (a la THE MUSIC MAN).

[This Message was Edited on 12/01/2006]
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I was thinking of doing a separate thread or, more specifically, of YOU doing a separate thread. Is this what you're thinking?

Yes, it would be like what you and Shannon have done in the past. It's good to be able to have book reviews from friends rather than the NYT Bestseller List. I don't always agree with them.

PS. Our library has two librarians and both of their names are...... yep, Marian.

7. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

I hope you or Marta come up with a separate thread also for books reviews of books others are reading. I think that would be great! I am trying to expand my horizons with what I read, as I have pretty set myself to certain authors. I read a lot, maybe not as much as I used to though. What I have found though is it carries over to my kids...they too have just certain authors. Maybe I can get them interested in other authors this way. They both love to read, my oldest is a sophomore and like me at that age he reads college level. But it has to be exactly the right book!

My library does have interlibrary loan so it shouldn't be a problem getting The Monk Downstairs.
    Sorry, no Marion's here though, sounds like Marta got them all!

Thank you for keeping reading books alive, some days just wanting to read can be a struggle. This is motivation of the best kind! Also, may make me relax more when I should be!

Take care & Kitten Hugs,
    Blessed Be,

8. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Marta, I like the book review idea. :)
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Since I was thinking of it as a division of the Book Club I thought it would be perfect for Ken to start it but Shannon could or I will if Ken feels it's too much for him. Don't want to encroach on scooter time, after all! ;>)

10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Not one, but two Marian the Librarians! That's too much. I'd be happy to post the book talk/review thread. Don't worry; I'll still get in my scooter time. But maybe you can help me with what to say in the post (i.e to elicit the kind of responses you'd like to see).

Maybe Shannon could post them, as well as me, if she's up to it.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/02/2006]
  11. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Ken, seems to me that all you have to say is that we're opening a corner of the Book Club for everyone to post positive (and negative*) reviews of books they read. I see it as pretty self-managing and can be as long as it gets since it's not time-sensitive. We could suggest folks note the type of book; that is, ficton, biography or whatever but that's not even necessary IMO. Just keep the reviews fairly brief so they're easily read.

*I would like to have known, for example, that Gail Godwin's last book wasn't cohesive, IMO. I've enjoyed her others but was very disappointed in ........ Queen of the Underworld. Thank you for the memory jolt.

Shannon or I could do it but I thought it should be a part of the Book Club. Besides, I haven't read a good book lately! Maybe it's me but I keep coming up with duds.

Let me know what you think.

12. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

on hold. I really am losing my mind.

Y-day the library compouter couldn't find Housekeeping for me. Today, using the tip provided by I-forgot-whom, I found it by inputting the isbn.

So I clicked "put it on hold".

So the computer told me I already had it on hold.

One of us is loony toony and I don't think it's the computer.
  13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I almost went to the LA Library website to see if I could find it!

Turns out her name is spelled "Marilynne," rather than "Marilyn." Not that that made a difference.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/03/2006]
  14. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I do that all the time. We have such busy lives, it's hard to keep track of all the details............... Well, OK, but that sounds good.