Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Got The Picnic from amazon today.

On the back it gives a brief sypnosis but I dont understand something.

' self-conscious of his failings and his POSITION BEHIND THE EIGHT BALL'

What does that mean.

2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

In the USA behind the 8 ball means similar to snookered in the UK.

Hope this helps.

I love cockie leekie soup BTW.

Love Annie
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

The term "behind the eight ball" is derived from the legend of the black knight who ripped his kilt while climbing up a castle wall in order to...

Oh wait, that's some legend from the UK. (You know how those island people are always making up stuff.)

"Eight Ball" is a game of pool/billiards in this country. The rules vary widely, but the eight ball (a solid black) is both an opportunity and a danger.

Essentially to be behind it is to be in an unfavorable position.

Isn't slang fascinating? I was at the store one day and said to the clerk (for whom English was not a first language), "Hokey dokey". She asked what that meant. I said, "Same as hunky dorey."

When I finally said, "Means OK," she laughed and nodded.

4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Here is a tidbit I found online about the expression:

Relating to pool as it does, it is no surprise that the expression is American. It dates from the early 20th century - the earliest citation I can find is from the Ohio newspaper The Marion Star, May 1916:

"When John Lewis came out and put America behind the eight ball I went around grabbing 'Kindly Step To The Back of the Car' signs from elevators on account of they kind of expressed the message of Lewis to the American people."

The term was used in the title of a biography of 'Minnesota Fats' - the stage name of the pool player Rudolph Wanderone. That was rather an optimistic title, as Wanderone was by all accounts a much better self-publicist than ever he was a pool player. He played some televised demonstration matches against Willie Mosconi, who beat him easily.

Hope you're not behind the eight ball today!

[This Message was Edited on 04/07/2008]
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

...that was sooo funny!

As you will note from my reply, in the UK we say "snookered"-it means the same thing!

And just adding: When I was a kid living in the UK there was a song "Pretty Little Black Eyed Suzie" that had a line "I love the sea, I love the navy, love my biscuits soaked in gravy" and we all thought that meant soaking cookies(what you yanks call biscuits)in gravy - yikes!!!

Another song ..."Her lipstick all over my vest" was rather risque in the UK then, as vest in the UK means undershirt, which meant he was in his undies!!! (vest in UK is waistcoat)

And I already told you when I was in a huge class at Cornell and asked aloud if anyone had a rubber I could borrow meaning eraser!!! Which reminds me my mother (GBHS) used to say "People in America all live in these huge condoms."

[This Message was Edited on 04/07/2008]
  6. springwater

springwater Active Member

Lol! Thanks all.

God Bless
  7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

thanks everyone and for the fun too.

I remember 'rubbers' and the songs as well.

8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

A very pretty picture. I can see myself sitting in a giant condom wearing my underwear and eating cookies covered w/ gravy.

Wasn't it you, Annie, who makes scones w/ dough? Oh, for the days when I had a brain that functioned. Anyway just looked at a cookbox by a tv chef. His scones use dough, not batter.

I 'spect they're good either way.

9. Marta608

Marta608 Member Annie's mother's description of American homes.

Thanks for the chuckle. (Which means laugh.)

10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Rock and AnnieC, you both are hilarious!
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

another funny thing she used to say was

"It was a shame when I was a girl because it was illegal to be a homosapien."