Book Club: Let's post suggestions for September's book

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Aug 6, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

At Rosie's request, let's make suggestions and then vote early. I'm still pretty far down the waiting list for Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, our August book.

I've been feeling crummy lately, so feel free to jump in with book club ideas, or "Where in the World" posts, if you're so inclined.

Thanks, bibiliophiles!

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

As usual I've been bouncing back and forth between 4 or 5 books, but none of them seem suitable for the book club. The just don't have that essential aura of book clubiness about them.

I started a new paperback today, but the print is so small I may just recycle it w/o bothering to read it. Why didn't I notice that when I bought it? My brain has turned to appricot jelly.

Got about 200 and some pages to go w/ Harry P.

Soon as I find something, I'll post it.

3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hmmmm. That doesn't sound right, does it?

I have no suggestions for September's book and I'm waaaaay down the list on the Kingsolver one but I did find a good read that I want to tell you about.

It's called Pocketful of Names by Joe Coomer. It was written in 2006 and I found it in the returned book cart. It's about a young woman artist who attempts to live alone on a rugged island off the coast of Maine that was left to her by her uncle. The island, not the coast of Maine. I seem to be having trouble with English this morning.

A dog washes up on her quarry inlet, sodden and half drowned. The first line in the book after the prologue about the dog's "swim" is: "The first thing Hannah said to the dog: 'I don't know if there's enough room for you on this island. I'm already here.' She'd come to the quarry to see what the afternoon's tide had brought. It was the first time it had delivered a dog."

Anyway, I'm on page 81 of 411 and loving it so far. Coomer has written other books, so if this one proceeds as well-written it's going so far, I've found a new author. I'd suggest this for September's book but I don't feel I'm far enough into it to brag more about it yet. I'll let you know.

Has anyone else read Coomer? Am I the last to know?

Feel better, Ken. I share your flare or maybe one like it.

[This Message was Edited on 08/07/2007]
  4. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Thought it was just me. Molly is a bit down too.

I feel like a trainwreck!! I can't sleep even though I'm exhausted which is not like me at all. I'm as nervous as a ninny and add that to sleep deprivation, my lyme symptoms are flaring.

I've got cabin fever bad but don't feel it's safe for me to drive right now.

Plus I somehow got myself involved in a nasty post over there in the FM/CFS board. It's not safe there! I'm sticking to this side of the board where everyone is nice to me and I'm nice back!!

Well, I guess I'll just stay in and finish my latest book that Molly gave me. It's Time to Play previously known as Monkeywrench. It's really good!!
  5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'm just coming out of a nasty flare, well last time I said that it lasted two days and I was flattened again.

We can put off choosing the September book til later til everyone is up to it.

I haven't started Kinsolver yet either.

The other board has always been a bit 'iffy', have to be very careful of what you say.

6. sisland

sisland New Member

No suggestions here But just wanted to let you know that i hope you feel better soon!!,,,,Sis
  7. mezombie

mezombie Member

Well, reading has been more difficult than ever for me lately, so I haven't been able to participate. Yeah, I'm in a flare, too!

I'm trying to re-read "Girl with a Pearl Earring", by Tracy Chevalier. I loved it the first time, and love it this time, as well. It's beautifully written, for those who love how language can be used. The story is based on fictionalized characters involved in Vermeer's painting, "Girl with a Pearl Earring", and is narrated by the "girl" that posed for the painting. I highly recommend it!

My latest "find" is the national Library of Congress' recorded books website, which can be found by following the links at I thought it was just for people who are blind, but apparently it caters to anyone who has trouble reading. The program sends recorded books and a special tape recorder for free, and I believe you can send the audio books back for free in special mailers. What a deal! (Now if I can just find my completed application and mail it in...LOL)

P.S. I nearly wrote "Girl with a Pear Earring"! That brings up some interesting images!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/07/2007]
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I enjoyed reading the Girl with the Pearl Earing too and watched the film but found it really boring.

I have the Barbara Kinsolver book, its hardback too from Amazon, flicked through it and honestly dont know if I can read it - we have so many tv programmes here of people 'going back to the earth' - but I'll give it a good try.

9. mezombie

mezombie Member

Which was boring: the book or the movie?
  10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I loved the book. The film was a visual treat with the colours and the costumes, got it just right, I think, but it was like watching paint dry.

11. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I have not heard of the author, but the book sounds very good. In my present state of apathy, something that sounds good is very shocking to my system.

I'm going to look it up at some point...maybe someone will nominate it for the book of the month...

Anyway, I think from how I'm feeling and from how I am reading that others are feeling, it's a bad time.

Feel better, all of you. Thanks for listing the book. Seems like the kind I would like.

12. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I finished it and still must say I appreciated it. I did find it a tiny bit tedious mid-book but that easily could have been me. I'll read others of Joe Coomer's and see how they go.

I also just finished Spare Change by Robert B. Parker, a Sunny Randall mystery. If anyone wants something simple - with short chapters, good-sized print, not too challenging but not too empty-headed either, you might try that one.

The library just notified me that the Kingsolver book is in! Now I just need the energy to go pick it up.

What is this flare stuff we got going on??

13. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

He was feeling poorly last week. I wonder if he is doing OK?

Ken, let us know if you can!!!
  14. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I am having some bowel problems on top of my mini-relapse, to top everything off, and I spent this afternoon at the hospital, getting an x ray. Nothing serious, it looks like, but I've been feeling miserable for a while now. As they say, this too shall pass.

I did watch almost the entire PGA golf tournament on TV during the last four days. I'm also doing a little light reading: just finished reading Alice Cooper's GOLF MONSTER, which was wildly entertaining, and now I'm reading a spiritual memoir by George Foreman called GOD IN MY CORNER.

I hope YOU are doing well at the moment, my friend!

I'll try to post a book voting thread soon.

[This Message was Edited on 08/12/2007]
  15. rockgor

Hope you feel better soon, Ken.

Rock and Ole
  16. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

hope you're xray is okay and you feel a bit better soon.

17. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Thanks for checking in with us. Hope this week is a better week for you.

I had a bad week too, but it seems to be getting a bit better today.

hugs everyone!

18. rockgor

Here's a suggestion for our next book.

Dear Miss Demeanor by Joan Hess.

J. Hess is a new author to me. She has written several mysteries over the past 20 years. The books have the advantage of being short, less than 200 pages.

The writing is sophisticated w/ an acerbic wit. (The picture of the author looks nothing at all like I would expect.)

The book in question is 20 years old, but if folks can't get that one they can probably find another w/bookstore owner Claire Malloy as the amature detective.

As Abraham Lincoln allegedly said, "People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like."

19. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I've started a new post as this one is too long.

I've transported Rock's suggestion onto new post.