Book Club Members: another question about CURIOUS INCIDENT

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, May 27, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

What was more compelling for you while reading the novel:

a. the story of what actually happens to Christopher--his attempts to find out who killed Wellington, his discovery of his father's lie and his mother's letters, his trip to London, his reconciliation with his father

or

b. Christopher's frequent digressions about his observations about the world (the stars, math, Marilyn Vos Savant's solution to the door problem, the Cottingsley Fairies, colors, maps, the nature of the world, how people behave, etc...)?

I hope you enjoyed this book as much as I did.
    Kholmes
  2. windblade

windblade Active Member

How wonderful to have you back - we've needed your teacher skills to guide us further.

The original book responses are under the first post under your name.

Although the plot was compelling and drew me along, it was Christopher himself and his views and observations that were the richest part of the book for me.

For instance, on p. 68, when he sees a cloud, and concentrating so hard on it, he sees an alien spaceship. And his imagination fed by his science studies thinks of aliens as possibly "flat like reflections, or bigger than planets and their spaceship perhaps made up of unconnected objects like dust or leaves!

That is as marvelous as poetry.

He loved Sherlock Holmes, and watched Dr. Who (one of my favorite sci-fi shows).

I am going back to read the book again. I read it on the first day - almost straight through. I loved Christopher, and was inspired and delighted by his mind, his musings and reactions to the world.

p.s. My comments on the first thread are under Hanginginthere's user name, then my name.

This was a brilliant and satisfying choice of a first book.
    I was encouraged also in dealing with my own disabilities in the world, by being like Christopher and using all my skills to work with them and past them.
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I agree; both angles were equally compelling for me, too. I found Chris's frequent digressions as interesting as what was happening to him throughout the book.
    Kholmes

[ advertisement ]