BOOK CLUB Members: Please make suggestions for July's book

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, Jun 28, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Rockgor suggested STANDING IN THE RAINBOW, by Fannie Flagg. Others have been talking about THE BREAKDOWN LANE, by Jacqueline Mitchard. If you have other recommendations for July's book, please post them (with a short summary) and this time around, let's vote on the next title by Friday.

June's book, TRUE BELIEVER, by Nicholas Sparks, basically bombed. So let's choose something that more people would be interested in reading for July.

Here is Rockgor's suggestion:

"Standing in the Rainbow" by Fannie Flagg

The book is set in a village in the Mid West. It starts in the 1940s and continues till the present. It is about small-town America and the people who live there.

It is a "womens'" book, i.e., no murders, spys, or car chases. One of those books that can make folks laugh and cry.

I think it is Fannie's 4th book. She also wrote "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe".

[This Message was Edited on 06/28/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/28/2006]
  2. windblade

windblade Active Member

I am suggesting "The Language of Baklava: A memoir" by Diana Abu-Jaber. The characters are very colorful, and an interesting and rich mix of a Bedouin Jordanian father and American mother. It is a humorous and poignant book, Abu-Jaber is a brilliant novelist, and her storytelling gift draws you strongly along.

Don't be dismayed that it's not in the bio. section, but filed in the cooking section! It's the Dewey Decimal System's fault!

The story is laced through with the wonderful Arabic cooking of her father, but it is truly a delightful experience of two cultures mingling, and Abu-Jaber's descriptive powers are excellent.

I've just been re-reading it, and would highly recommend it.
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Annie Proulx, "That Old Ace in the Hole" is a really good read. You may recall she wrote The Shipping News, a good book that was harmed by the poorly written movie version.
    Ace is:-
    It is about a man, a sort of orphan really who lives with an odd uncle. He gets a job in the Texas Panhandle searching out sites for a hog farm corporation.

It is about corruption, love, odd characters all over the place. I really enjoyed the read. I learned a lot about geography and history and people. It was very alive and interesting.

However, Mitchard has a new book I did not hear about...mmmm. I enjoyed her last book.

Flagg is also good author.

I would like to keep the book club to fiction though, and have maybe a non fiction one as an alternative book club if that is an ok suggestion?

Sorry I still have not gotten last month's book yet.

Love Anne Cromwell
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Keeping the club to fiction is a good idea, Anne.

Kholmes
  5. Jamarz

Jamarz New Member

Hi,
    I am a newbie and was wondering if I could join your book club? Let me know and give me any info on rules etc. I have read That Old Ace in the Hole and it is a good read.
    Anyway..Hasta Luego
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

New members are always welcome!

Kholmes
  7. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

How about

Too Close to the Falls - by Catherine Gildiner

i've heard it is very good

Maggy
  8. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

I am a voracious reader and would love to join the book club. Will someone give me the basic guidlines?

Thanks,
    Kat
  9. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

was started by Ken Holmes two months ago. At present we have no rules and anyone can participate.

I guess if we ever need any rules Ken will make them.

It would be nicer, of course, if we could meet in person. Then refreshments could be served.

My brother sends me the paper from the Mid West village he lives in (population 1000). They still have a social column w/ entries like this.

The local book club met at Mrs. Helmut Kunkat's home last Thursday afternoon. Members discussed the new best seller "My Kitestring is Frayed" by Carmen Schwartz.
    Mrs. Virgil Peterson poured. A good time was had by all.
  10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

That made me laugh. I used to live in a very small town here, absolutely Currier and Ives type on the lake too!(why DID I move???)

I was invited to join The Ladies'Literary Society and it was very elegant. I did not realise that it was something of a privioledge to be invited to join, very eleborate voting system, they were such snobs. At the time I had been written up in quite a few local papers re my doll designs, and this was why they wanted me in-due to my "fame".

I doubt if 90% ever read the books that were chosen which were a bit boring. Chosen for their snob appeal. But the homemade cakes were great!!!

Love Anne Crom
  11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Rockgor: I like the idea of meeting in a Victorian mansion and discussing the books over tea and scones. But riding our Harleys to a biker bar and discussing them there over a cold Guiness works for me as well.

Melissa and Kat2002: Welcome to the Book club!

We've only been going for two months now. The club is open to anyone. The idea is that each month, we all read the same book and then post messages with thoughts, opinions, reactions, etc. about it during the last week of the month.

Books certainly don't need to deal with chronic illness. May's book, which I chose, was THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME (which a lot of people loved), and June's was TRUE BELIEVER, by Nicholas Sparks (which didn't generate a whole lot of interest). We're reading fiction only, and generally choosing books which are easy to find at the library, your local bookstore, or online. For this month, I asked that members post suggestions and then we vote on the title for July. It's helpful to have books that are thoughtful and will give us something to talk about. Not all books do this. But that doesn't mean we need to read WAR AND PEACE either.

Kholmes

[This Message was Edited on 06/29/2006]
  12. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

If it is scones then it has to be English or Irish breakfast tea, served with milk(not cream) and sugar.

Or how about devonshire cream on scones(Devon cream tea?)

Then we should read Miss Marple(LOL)

Love Anne Cromwell (looking more like said sleuth every day)
  13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

You're making me hungry.

Kholmes
  14. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

I am already in a book club that meets every second Tues. night of the month at our local library.

The refreshments are great.

I have to admit that I have some books that I would never even consider reading and I have not read some of the books because... well I just won't read some books.

I really would love to join and I would like to vote for Standing In the Rainbow.

Jodi
  15. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

Thanks for the basic info on the club. The reason I asked about guidelines is that I while read in a wide variety of genres, I love mysteries and thrillers the best. Often they contain graphic descriptions or very controversial subject matter. I would not want to suggest a book that a majority of club members would find offensive or perhaps inappropriate!

I am not going to make a suggestion for July since it is almost here, but I will think about possible future recommendations, and will read whatever is chosen. I looked at reviews on "The Curious Incident..." and I think I am going to pick that up on my next trip to the bookstore also - it sounds quite interesting!

Kat
  16. jenemc

jenemc New Member

Don't forget the purple hats and t-shirts advertising FM awareness!!

I can't think of any suggestions on books as I am reading Christine Feehan in between the book club suggestions. She writes about paranormal, she is a great writer. Carpathians and such. Shape shifters.

I will read what ever is voted on.

jennie
  17. kholmes

kholmes New Member

to see if there are any last suggestions before July starts. If not, I'll put the titles on another post and ask people to vote.

Kholmes
  18. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.

Here's what is written on the back cover:

--------------------------------------------------

Set in South Carolina in 1964 Secret Life of Bees tells about the story of Lily Owns a 14yo girl whose life has been shaped by the blurred memory of the afternoon her mother was killed. When Lily’s fierce-hearted black “stand-in mother” Rosaleen insults three of the deepest racists in town, Lily decides to spring them both free. They escape to Tiburon, South Carolina, a town that holds the secret to her mother’s past.

Taken in by an eccentric trio of black beekeeping sisters, Lily is introduced to the mesmerizing world of bees and honey and the Black Madonna. This is a remarkable novel about divine female power, a story that women will share and pass on to their daughters for years to come.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

It's a very moving story that I really loved.

P.S. - I finally just finished "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" today (took my library forever to get it in). I listened to the audio book. LOVED IT!! I will post comments (if I'm not too late) when I get back from camping.

[This Message was Edited on 06/30/2006]
  19. millennia

millennia New Member

What about Memoirs of a Geisha? I heard it was amazing. Is there an official club roster? Or can we just jump in on the discussion once we decide on a book?
  20. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Welcome! There's no official roster. Just read the book with the rest of us and then post on it during the last weekend of the month.

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 06/30/2006]