BOOK CLUB Members: Please make suggestions for October book.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, Sep 15, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Let's start posting suggestions for the October book earlier this time.

That will give us more time to put the book on hold at the library, if we vote on a popular title.

Feel free to put in a good plug for your book.

Let's keep the suggestion line going until Monday night, and then I'll post a separate voting thread.

Kholmes

[This Message was Edited on 09/15/2006]
  2. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Bambi, by Felix Salten,

No i'm not kidding! Great book for nature lovers, but, may be hard to find, copyright is 1929 223pages.

First book i stayed up all night because i had to finish it,

otherwise,

I vote for;
    Watership Down (again)
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

This is in response to your question about managing to read a new book every month. My theory is KNACK.

I think everybody has a for knack for something. If you're lucky it's for making money or acting or playing basketball. Then you get big rewards.

But most of us have the knack for something else. Raising kids or baking cakes or tuning up cars or training dogs or plowing a straight furrow or spinning yarn or herding sheep.

So you see there's a big element of time and circumstance involved. I mean, my great knack (ok, call it talent) is for reading. But what if I had been born before writing was invented?

Where would Bill Gates be if he had been born 100 years ago? Where would the Dali Lama be if he had been born to a father who worked on Wall Street? How big a success would Marilyn Monroe have been if she had been born in the Middle Ages? How much money could Barry Bonds have earned in ancient Rome?

So you see, if we are not a big success in life, it's not our fault. It's just that timing and circumstances were out of kilter.

Is this answer somewhat non-responsive to your question? Probably. Oh well...

You ever try those audio books? I got one from the library, but I kept falling asleep.
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

A book a month?? Rocky, I have to tell you I've out-knacked you; I read a book a week.

Since I have suggested so many books and we're reading one of my suggestions now maybe I should "bud" out. OK, I won't.

I still think you'd all enjoy "The Monk Downstairs" by Tim Farrington abd/or his newer book, "Lizzie's War". Very well written as I've said.

Now I'll go back to my book now which is currently "Hit Parade" by Lawrence Block. I love his sense of humor - it's kinda Rocky - but this is from his hit man, John Keller, series and a very different perspective.

And since you aksed, I just got a new Elinor Lipman book, My Latest Grievance" today from the library as well as others. I'm going to be busy for at least five weeks unless some turn out to be losers. Enjoy Marley!

Marta

5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I definitely can't see Bill Gates in turn-of-the-century Chicago, emerging from a Nickelodeon, calling for a horse and carriage.

Nor can I see the Dalai Lama on Wall Street, wearing a Brooks Brothers suit and eating a power lunch with Donald Trump.

And I can't see Barry Bonds in second-century Rome, saluting the emperor in the Coliseum.

But I sort of like the image of Marilyn Monroe in the middle ages, maybe softly strumming a lute at Windsor and singing, "Happy Birthday, King Richard."

Kholmes

6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Anne Tyler: Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant-Anne Tylers best book by far

Judith Guest: Errands (remember she wrote Ordinary People? This is a well written story about a family dealing with sadness

Alice Hoffman: Illumination Night: A good read, as always with Hoffman, out of the ordinary, about a family with ups and downs

Pat Conroy: Beach Music; Set in USA and Venice, well written book about people's struggles

Wally Lamb: I Know this Much is True-terrific story about a twin dealing with his brothers madness.

Mary McGarry Morris: Dancing in Ordinary Time: Great story telling about unusual people

All of these should be easy to get a hold of as they are older books but all pretty good reads. Not necessary to nominate them, but passing on authors some people may not yet have read.

However, I still renominate my #1 choice: Carol Shields: The Stone Diaries or Unless. Unless is modern, Stone Diaries spans a century. Either one is very readable. Love them both. Both won or were nominated for Pulitzer.

Love Anne
  7. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I have just come across a book i'm VERY interested in reading. Please consider;

Island of Saints, by, Andy Andrews

"Island of Saints provides a much-needed message about the single most engaging quality of the human condition - the power of forgiveness. It is "storytelling for our time" - filling a void for those of us who are hungry for renewal of spirit - who have forgotten what life is really about.

The Story...
    On a summer night in 1942, Lieutenant Josef Bartels Landermann slips unseen into the dark waters of the Gulf of Mexico after being shot from the conning tower of the U-166, a surfaced German submarine. Several hours later, Helen Mason, a beautiful young woman, recently embittered by the death of her husband in the war, finds Landermann's near-lifeless body while taking a late-night walk along the shore. Enraged by the German sailor's uniform, Helen is prepared to leave the wounded man to die when an unusual phrase, faintly uttered, changes her mind.

Set in a period simmering with anger and hate, Island of Saints offers a startlingly simple yet profoundly practical solution for healing the world. Blending his unique style of historical accuracy with unparalleled storytelling, Andy Andrews illuminates a timeless truth taught by saints and sages for millennia."

8. rockgor

I'm just recommending, not nominating, cause we already read a book I suggested.

But here are two books I liked that some of our gang might enjoy.

The End of the Road by Tom Bodett Essays, generally funny

Almost anything by Dave Barry Really funny
    His "Complete Guide to Guys" might be helpful to some of our group, i.e., non-guys.
  9. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

I don't know what's up with you slackers, LOL, but I read about five books a week!

I think something light or humerous would be good for October, maybe get a little more variety going in the club.

I will try to think of some titles to suggest later and post them by Monday night.

Remember: booklovers never go to bed alone!

Kat
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

if you missed this.

Kholmes
  11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'll post a voting thread tomorrow evening, U.S. time.

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2006]
  12. gnanny

gnanny New Member

I suggest Fannie Flaggs Cant wait to get to heaven or the one before this...Standing in the Rainbow. She has a light and easy style of writing.

If you want something very different I read the Kite Runner. I cant remember who the author was...but it was very different from anything I usually read and it kept my interest and enlightened me.

take care, stephanie
  13. NO1NOS

NO1NOS New Member

kholmes & bk club

I read a few bks a week, I usually read suspences but enjoy others on the light side.

I did read "I know this much is true" by Wally Lamb when it 1st came out some time in late 90's is was a great book about 1,000 pgs, read in 4 days so interesting.

right now ive been reading "Karen Slaughter" books: suspence stories, carracter3rds are in all books solving homicides a med ex., C of police, once married end up working on same case to solve it also incluces there family life history etc. good reads only 2 left of hers to read.

I also read all "james patterson" 1st to die, 2nd chance, 3rd degree, 4th of july, 5th horseman, best suspence ever its about four women all diff jobs get 2gether to solve cases

I read all of "erica spindler" books ausome auther and books

so anyhoo how do i join book club

and if do join what if haven a flair up or 2 painful 2 read bk time frame do ya get budded out :) lol,

good suggestions by all hope to join club

ps. i have about 8.000 books so probably have books chosen
    2 read.

love 2 read
    dana
  14. rockgor

on line. Wanted to see if there is any progress re: Marley and Me. As you would expect, while I was there I forgot all about it.

Well, I did put the Beekeeper's Apprentice on hold.

Started reading a travel book. Don't know how it got published. The author seems to be writing for grade school kids. Or perhaps she is a grade school kid.

On the other hand got a book called "Out West" by Mike Flanagan. This guy writes w/ some color.

Of Henry Jackson, who traveled w/ 300 pounds of equipment and was the first to photograph Yellowstone:

Jackson's was the first and most honest view of the West, and it serves today as an invaluable link to a time that passed in the wink of a shutter.
  15. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

good book last month. I bought it even though it didn't look anything like a book I would like - didn't think I could relate because I wasn't into Cheech and Chong. It was just major curiosity. It was "I Chong" by Tommy Chong. It was actually one of the best books I've ever read. He talked a great deal about spiritual things that were actually inspiring. He also made some good points about our government. I wasn't a huge Cheech and Chong fan or anything - the book just kind of jumped out at me. I think I saw parts of one of their movies.

Of course, I do like Cheech on Judging Amy.

Anyway, just thought I'd share in case anyone saw the book and didn't think it was worth reading.
  16. rockgor

If you want to be in the book club, you are. That's all the formality there is. Everyone is welcome.

Looks like a lot of us are having trouble getting the book. I just checked w/ the Los Angeles library. The good news is they have 89 copies.

The bad news is I am 73 on the list.

Look like we are going to have to pick the books 2 months in advance. In the meantime of course, we can chat about any book we like.

I'm going to see what I can find at the library by Tom Sharpe. He is a funny English author. I first heard of him on this board. Have read 2 or 3 of his books already.
  17. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Welcome! Anyone who wants to join is a member, like Rockgor says.

Groucho Marx said, "I wouldn't want to join any club that would have me as a member." But this is a club that even he would want to join!

Kholmes

18. kholmes

kholmes New Member

We will definitely consider you as an honorary member, even though you're busy being a student and reading social work books.

Good luck on your exams!

Kholmes
  19. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Are there any Lawrence Block fans here? If so, you know that he writes several different - what do I call them? you don't have to read them in sequence but they have the same main and supporting characters in them. He writes many like that as does, say, the good old Stewart Woods books, before Stu got so glib, or even Sue Grafton. On the lighter side of the same venue are The Cat Who books by Lillian Jackson Braun. The only thing those books have in common is that they're all whodunits and they all have continuing characters; otherwise they're very differently written. Having different authors no doubt has something to do with that................ having a duh moment here.

ANYWAY, I just finished Hit Parade, the third in Block's group featuring John Keller, a hit man. Rocky, I thought of you, not as a hit man, but for the sense of humor in the book that made me laugh out loud; however, most of the "hits" didn't set too well with me.

I just don't know how I feel about this book and wonder if anyone else has read it. I was either laughing or putting my hands over my eyes - which is very hard to do when you're holding a book, as you know.

Marta
  20. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Welcome; you're in! That's all there is to it.
    If you have a flare and have to skip a book, it's no big deal.

No grades, no homework, no essays, no pressure.

Just some people who love to read and talk about writers and books.

Ken
    [This Message was Edited on 09/18/2006]