Book Club Members: what did you think of TRUE BELIEVER?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, Jun 24, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I wasn't sure if I'd like this book very much, but I really enjoyed Sparks's THE NOTEBOOK a couple of years ago, and I ended up enjoying how the relationship between Jeremy and Lexie developed in TRUE BELIEVER. Lexie was definitely a woman I could fall in love with.

I thought the reason for the mysterious lights in the graveyard turned out to be a bit of a letdown, but I liked a lot of the characters and local color of Boone Creek, North Carolina, and I found Doris's ability to determine the sex of a child before it was born intriguing.

Do you think such things are possible? Are you generally a skeptic by nature, like Jeremy, or do you believe that such things (ghostly lights, people with psychic abilities like Doris) are possible?

Also, do you think Jeremy made the right decision in moving to Boone Creek, or do you think Lexie should have made the move?

Kholmes
  2. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Sorry I missed this one. I just finished last month's selection, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time. Looking forward to see how all of you liked True Believer.
    (((I'm a bit slow!))) Shannon
  3. windblade

windblade Active Member

In answer to one question, I think it was the best choice for Jeremy to move to Boone Creek, instead of Lexie going to New York City with him. Her Grandmother, Doris, was not in the best of health, and they were very close, since Lexie had lost her parents in a car accident as a child, and Doris had raised her.

Also, Lexie had built up an excellent rare-book collection in her work as a librarian, while Jeremy could do his work anywhere, as long as he traveled to N.Y.C. occasionally.

Lexie would enjoy the things that the city had to offer on visits, and also meet and be part of Jeremy's family.

[This Message was Edited on 06/25/2006]
  4. windblade

windblade Active Member

bumping for book club members
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

And ShannonSparkles: what did you think of THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME?
    [This Message was Edited on 06/25/2006]
  6. windblade

windblade Active Member

Yes, Shannon - I'm so interested to see what you thought of 'The Curious Incident...' also.
  7. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello friends. Well, I'm sorry to say 'True Believer' was not my cup of tea. I liked the para-normal subject matter but there was something about the writing style that didn't do it for me.

I'm glad to hear others enjoyed the book and who knows? at some point in the future I may pick it up again and enjoy it immensely (that's happened to me before).

I loved our first choice, THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME, and look forward to our next one.

Kholmes, thanks for facilitating this group and thanks to all who participate.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

What happened to you?

Thanks, Windblade and Anne Theresa, by the way.

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 06/26/2006]
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I still have not managed to get the book from the library, I will read it later.

Love Anne Cromwell
  10. jenemc

jenemc New Member

I didn't care for this book either. It was really hard to start reading it, I enjoy the paranormal books. In fact I have also been reading Christine Feehan's books and I love them.

I plan on trying to finish up reading True Believer, and will let you know more on what I thinik about it.

jennie
  11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

It seems that quite a few people weren't into this one (judging by the scarcity of posts so far).

Let's see if we can come up with a more fruitful title for July!

Kholmes